Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nine year old brother and I would like to take him along on some hunts with me just for small and maybe some medium sized game but I would like to get him an air rifle that is easily capable of killing a squirrel and it has to be under $100 something good to learn with and preferably a rifle from air gun depot so I can get more credits. Please supply links

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Have you looked at the game laws regarding hunting with airguns? In many states they are not allowed due to not meeting some minimum power requirement. Common .177 caliber air rifles only develop about 15 ft-lbs of muzzle energy while a .22lr will develop 115+ ft-lbs ME.

I know many will chime in saying that they killed such and such animal with an airgun at some range and I don't disagree that it is possible, I'm just saying that it is not legal in many locations. This point was stressed by the WCO during my youngest son's Hunter Safety Course.

If you look hard enough, you should be able to find a .22 rifle that would be legal almost anywhere for small game for ~$100.00. My son bought a nice Marlin model 60 .22 with a scope at a gunshow last spring for $90.00.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
Just get him a sharp stick,he's going to put an eye out with that thing! JK! morayman........

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Check out the crossman storm xt .177 {1200 fps}. A good rifle, a little heavy {7lbs.} but this thing can shoot.
If you use the crossman 9 gr {hollow point} pellets these will sound like a .22. I use field point for longer range {90 yards} and out.
Also check out the crossman nitro .22 {1000 fps}. This is a .22 caliber air rifle that has a big punch on target. I have both and shoot the nitro more.

The fps is debatable using different weight pellets..
Both are break barrel.
Crossman storm about $110{?}
Crossman nitro about $150{?}

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is legal in my state to use airguns for hunting

I might get a ruger airhawk or a crosman pump rifle and just so you know the gun is going in my safe and he can't use it unless I am with him so he is allowed

1 - 5 of 5 Posts