Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody. New C-9 owner here. What would be the best ammo to shoot at the range and for HD? I'm looking for ease of use and accuracy for my wife. HD is most important for her. Also we are by no means wealthy so affordable ammo is a must. Now what ammo fits all three keys for our new Hi Point baby. . .easy to find, accurate and affordable.
I've been reading the HPFF for a little while and know y'all have a bunch of good advice. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Think you'll actually want to look at 2 types of ammo. Basic FMJ like Blazer, Remington, Magtec, WWB, etc is the least expensive. For HD you'll want hollow point or some other type of specific HD round. Unfortunately those are more expensive to use as target ammo and will drive up your cost of shooting.

Welcome to the forum from TN. Lots to see and learn from the nice folks here.

·
Registered
557 Posts
By the cheaper FMJs for the range-- brand not that important. Whatever SD/HD round you pick probably should be an HP of sorts, but make sure to run a couple of boxes of it through your pistol to make sure your gun can digest it ok-- it probably will be fine, but having a misfire/jam on the range is one thing, having one with a tango bearing down on you is another...

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
You are not going to find an all purpose round. You need 2 types of ammo. FMj ammo will not expand, and can go through your target. You dont want a through and through in a SD situation.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
One thing to consider strongly is how the ammo feeds. I use Pow'R'Ball as it feeds just like FMJ and expands well on contact. FTF is not what you want and is the worst case. Yes many will not have problems with more traditional HP or segmented bullets but since you have the choice why not cover your bases.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
Well Duncan, looks like everybody else beat me to it. But, you will need two different ammo choices. An FMJ for the range, pick it up at walmart, WWB is pretty cheap. For SD buy a couple of boxes of HP ammo and see what works best. May be costly at first, but you'll only have to buy one box of 20 once you've found what you like most and hopefully, that'll last you a very long long time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One thing to consider strongly is how the ammo feeds. I use Pow'R'Ball as it feeds just like FMJ and expands well on contact. FTF is not what you want and is the worst case. Yes many will not have problems with more traditional HP or segmented bullets but since you have the choice why not cover your bases.
I bought a box Pow'R'Ball 100gr. +p 9mm and they run perfect. Truth in advertising here. Now I'm buying two more, one .45 and another 9mm. That will be 20 + 20. Hopefully I'll never need more!

·
Registered
250 Posts
One good point for FMJ as a defense load is the fact that it functions 100% for me. Unless the wife has trained to clear a jam (and when an HP jams its a heck of a jam!) I'd stick with FMJ. You know your wife best though. X

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.