Best cast bullets

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Tooguns, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Just wondered what the best cast bullets would be for the 9 MM and 40 S&W? Both round nose and hollow point? And weight.
    I know there is info on it but I couldn't find.
    Thanks.

2. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

RN will probably feed a little better than hollow point. I don't really see the point of hollow points for killing paper...

3. Round nose feeds the best, with a semi wad cuter making cleaner holes in paper. I am shooting in 9mm 125 gr LRN Soon to be 124 gr LRN as son as i get my lee molds.

4. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

Im shooting 124 gr truncated flat points cast from a Lee mold. they work well for me in a glock 17, HP C9, and SIG P225

SW

5. Not just paper,we have deer in the yard ,eating apples and acorns in the fall.
    Still need help don't quit now.

6. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

hollow point solid lead bullets generally dont expand much, if at all. if you want an expanding bullet its best to go with a jacketed design, and make sure you push it fast enough for reliable expansion.

SW

7. Question answered.
    Thanks!

Best weight for 40 cal. ?

8. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

I load a 155gr Semi Wadcutter for the .40.

9. Thanks! You all have answered the casting question,Now for the deer.
    To many different types of bullets to try them all. This will be for the 40 cal. Something out about 100 yds.