Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've pretty much decided to buy a .357 mag snub nose revolver but a S&W is out of the question. I've looked at both the 5 shot Taurus and the 6 shot Rossi (made by Taurus) but I thought I'd ask and see if any of you had either or any suggestions. It will definitely be a concealable 2" barrel and I want the versatility of the .357 instead of a .38 only. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
The 5 shot Taurus is better for concealable carry. Take a look at the 3 inch model, you don't give up much in the CC department and get a longer and easier to use sight radius. I know they run more but look at a Ruger SP101 also.

Ron M.

·
Registered
476 Posts
go with the Taurus 605 2 in snub or the C.I.A. (carry it anywhere ) model in .357 .. I have the 605ss 2 in with concealed carry hammer .. I have not had any issues and it's just right to carry most any position or condition .
My brother-in-law got his C.I.A. model at the same time and loves it .. Same basic gun as the 605 just rounded over the back end of the gun and everything with the triger is internal .

·
Registered
250 Posts
Well, actually Taurus is the parent company of Rossi but the guns are still all Rossi with the Braztech name added. When I researched what to get S&W was first on my list and then sticker shock set in. I also noticed that Taurus has had to many warranty issues. I got the .38 five shot J frame Rossi and love it. All steel and I'm shooting 4" groups at 12 yards. I've heard great stuff over on the Rossi/Taurus forum from other Rossi owners. X

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice. My local range/gun store has a 605 blue in stock, asking $369 which I thought was pretty steep but he said we could haggle some. I'll probably go by tomorrow and shoot some and take a look at it.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
i like charter also, i have a bulldog .44 special. I was just speaking on what i have for a .357 and that is the taurus. i'm really considering getting the Ruger LCP in .38, man that thing is lighter than air, you wouldn't even know you were carrying it, the holster would prolly weigh more. it is around 350 here.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
neither. charter arms is better than both IMHO. also a sister company tp HP by the way.

SW
+1

My father-in-law has the Charter Arms Off Duty in .38 Special, and it is a great carry piece.

·
Registered
250 Posts
FYI, Charter is coming out with a concealed carry 9mm revolver this winter. It won't use the stupid moon clips which is what I've been waiting for 8)
The .45 acp and .40 S&W should be released this fall previous to the 9mm. X

·
Premium Member
138 Posts
The Ruger SP101 may be more expensive than either Taurus or Rossi, but it's built like a tank and should last forever. You can also fieldstrip it easily, unlike other brands. If you don't like the SP101 (or its price tag) I would have a look at the Charter Arms.

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have an EAA Windicator --$229 at GM-- I have shot probably 30 or so .357 and 200 .38spl through it--it aint pretty, but it has never had an issue going "bang"...I got the snubbie, but really wanted the 4" one...YMMV...

here is mine...

·
Registered
592 Posts
I say get a Charter or A Ruger sp101 because they are made in the USA. But that is just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,869 Posts
I love my SP101. Nice and solid.

You might want a spur on the hammer though if you're not worried about it snagging.

·
Registered
2,641 Posts
Not sure of how cheap it might be. Which I think its not, but personaly I love the feel and look of the Lady Smith's.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
My windicator had a issue with not wanting to release the cylinder sometimes. I sold it w while back guess i should have played with it more as i kinda miss it now....

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
Does it have to be a new gun? If not, a S&W isn't out of the question. I bought a great S&W 640-1 (pre-lock .357 J-frame, concealed hammer) for less than $500 last year. A fantastic carry piece.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts