Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I was interested in beginning to polish and reload some of our spent rounds. I save all my brass and would like to get into 9mm to start and maybe some 30-30.

But my question is what do you guys recommend for a start up system. I have lots of time on my hands in the winter and thought that an hour a day with a turret press could get me lots of ammo in a couple of weeks.

I was really intrigued by this Lee Deluxe Turret kit.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...&parentType=index&indexId=cat20847&hasJS=true

But I want some opinions from you guys. I have heard that reloading doesn't really save you any money, but because 9mm is a pain in the ass to find here I figured it would be worth the investment just to reload the brass we have. I have the time when work is over for the season, I just lack a little know-how and equipment.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
That is the exact kit I got and I could not be more pleased with it. I reload for 45 and 9mm both. It is much less expensive to load for either one than it is to buy factory ammo. The press in the kit can be used as a single stage or auto-indexed to speed things up. 1 big caution though, It is not as complete as the add leads you to believe.

You'll need to add a set of dies. I highly recommend the Deluxe Carbide Die set that includes the Factory Crimp die.

You'll need some way to prime the cases. Either on the press or hand priming. Either way go ahead and get the primer set-up for both large and small primers.

You'll also need a set of calipers and a reloading manual or three.

You'll also be very glad if you get the Auto Disc Riser and Swivel Adaptor, especially if you plan to prime on the press. Otherwise the powder measure will hit the primer mechanism.

A tumbler is also a nice addition to have but not an absloute must have. Cabelas sells a nice tumbler kit.
An electric scale is also a nice addition but not a must have.
Cartridge gage is also a nice have but not a must have.

That will do everything. Later if you want to load other calibers all you'll need is another die set and an extra turret.

Lee's set-up instructions are not the best but you can get it all up and going in a couple hours the first time with no experience. Online videos also help understand the set up a lot.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I do feel that reloading saves me mega bucks. Cheapest 9mm I can buy around here is $9.95/box of 50. I cast my own bullets and it costs me about $3.90 for the same box of 50. Looks like a savings of $6 per box. The savings for feeding my 45JHP are about $18/box of 50.

Many say that your not saving but that is because you usually end up shooting more.

Check out this link http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp and plug in your own numbers and make up your mind as to whether it will save money or not.

I got my the exact same press your asking about in March and it has paid for itself already.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I may buy the kit (my birthday is in 2 days, its a good excuse). And just add things as I get the money, such as the dies and the tumbler.

What would you recommend for a setup to prime/deprime on the press?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
To prime on the press you'll need to get the Lee Safety Prime. I is the only one that specifically fits on the press. I didn't like it but others do. It did not always drop and seat the primer properly. Sometimes one would fall out and I'd have to get down on hands & knees and search for the live primer. Was just to much of a pain for me. I opt to use the Auto prime which is a hand prime tool. It never misses loading and seating a primer and for me is much faster. I hand prime but do everything else on the press.

The die set has a die that deprimes and sizes the brass. Thats why you have to get a die set before you can do anything on the press.

Either way you'll have to get the die set, one of the priming tools, and a caliper.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
check the sticky out
http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/Forum/index.php/topic,18465.0.html

With the turret, you will need a rifle charging die to go along there.the auto disk is not compatible with lee rifle dies. the pistol dies have the powder through expander dies. Also a lee saftey prime set for large and small primers. About 50 more bucks to go the turret route. If you are just planning on doing rifle. i think a single stage kit with sepertae poder measure is the wa to go.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i prefer single stage presses myself. more control over the loading process, more attention to detail and less initial cost. the lee anniversary kit is about as good as it gets in that dept.

SW

·
Banned
3,722 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Not getting rid of the Lee Loader. I have it in the van when I go to the range, every time!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
I got the kit today, but I won't have time to mess with it until tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Say goodbye to the c clamp method of priming.
I'm not so sure. I have about 1400 Winchester primers and the Lee Safety Prime, says not to use them.

·
Registered
476 Posts
i prefer single stage presses myself. more control over the loading process, more attention to detail and less initial cost. the lee anniversary kit is about as good as it gets in that dept.

SW
+1

Have the same Lee anniversary kit myself .. Very accurate and easy to use ..

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I'm not so sure. I have about 1400 Winchester primers and the Lee Safety Prime, says not to use them.
You sure? Winchester are one of the recommended primers in all my Lee literature?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
You sure? Winchester are one of the recommended primers in all my Lee literature?
Nope, It is what the customer service guy at Midway USA told me, but he could be all wet.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
again do you have the kit with the hand primer, or the press mounted priming system???

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
again do you have the kit with the hand primer, or the press mounted priming system???
It's the Lee Safety prime. It seems to be the one that is mounted on the press, but I haven't tried to put it together yet.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts