Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched to a 6x scope on my .22 and before I go sight it in I wanted some suggestions on a good distance to sight it at.

I use it for squirrel, rabbit, grouse, and target shooting. And have to make a very accurate shot from anywhere to 5 yards straight up a tree to about 50. What do you guys think a good round distance for sighting in for those ranges is?

·
Banned
401 Posts
I have mine sighted at 25 yards, that pretty much covers just about anything I will shoot with it..

Dp

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
if you are not going to be going under 50 but over 5 go about half way. do 25. if you are going to be going 100 or less do half... 50 yards. that way it is always plus or minus a couple inchs.

·
Registered
250 Posts
To my knowledge a .22 will shoot flat out to 60 yards so last week I sighted my scoped Marlin 60 at 50 yards. I figure at 25 yards it'd probably be a half inch high but I can't actually prove it since I've just recently started shooting for distance and accuracy. X

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sighted dead nuts at 50 today, then moved to 25 and was shooting a heavy 1/2" high. I split the difference and dropped it 1/4". It was making similar groups at both distances after that.

I was using Remington Hollow points. Not sure if that makes a difference but its the only kind I buy because they work the best on *****. They are definitely a lot louder than those target rounds.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, anything over 50 is a stretch for me too. But if I see a grouse before it sees me I like sneak off a quick headshot, same with rabbits. Those two critters are too tasty to ever pass up.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Yeah, anything over 50 is a stretch for me too. But if I see a grouse before it sees me I like sneak off a quick headshot, same with rabbits. Those two critters are too tasty to ever pass up.
Hey bud--whereabouts in CNY are you from?

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Centrally Located around Central New York

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cincinnatus, but now that I've told you promise not to hunt me down :cool2:

I'm about an hour south of you. And if you feel like hunting down lando too he's in Ithaca :angel:

Go for him first please.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Assuming 22LR 100yds isn't very effective so sighting at 30-40 yards is good for most work.
Red Dots should sight at 30 yards.
Im looking into .17 for longer range varmint since its effective out to 150 yards.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Cincinnatus, but now that I've told you promise not to hunt me down :cool2:

I'm about an hour south of you. And if you feel like hunting down lando too he's in Ithaca :angel:

Go for him first please.
Lol...I was just trying to see if there were other guys in the area to go shooting with :tongue2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts