Best Engineered Fighting rifle?

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Tribes, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Tribes

Tribes Supporting Member

AZ
    Own the AR, AK, VZ58 platforms. Have shot the Steyr Aug, Tavor, and Kel Tec RDB and RFB. The Bull Pups just do not work for me.:rolleyes:
    Would not own one.

What trips my trigger is the AK47. In a do or die situation the first rifle I grab would be the AK47.:indeed

The way it handles the feel of it. The simplicity, durability, reliability, its battle field accuracy. Is it the best engineered rifle? For me yes. YMMV:)

2. FirearmFanatic

FirearmFanatic "The Enabler!"

I cant say if its the best engineered rifle or not, but in my case, its the first I will grab WTSHTF! Been proven in battle for years. Next after it, I would grab the sks with high cap mags.

3. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    I can see that, and I can see a high level of usefulness in the hands of
    the (largely) untrained folks in this country who may want them in the
    future! That was M Kalashnikov's "target audience" in large part, and
    the Soviets relied on the local "militia model" to ward off the
    Nazi War Machine... some might call them "conscripts" :D
    But I doubt any one of them were welcoming Hitler with open arms! :eek:

4. Hansj3

Hansj3 Supporting Member

I liken the ak platform to a pipe wrench. A well engineered pipe wrench has slop in its design. This "engineered tolerance" actually allows the jaw heads to pivot and the more rotational force is applied the tighter the wrench bites. Ingenious really and quite useful in most situations whether designed for it ( removing sections of iron pipe) or not (as a hammer)

The ar platform is like a socket set. To so the job you need the correct socket, ratchet, extention, wobble... etc. But to loosen fasteners with a speed wrench or thandle is a work of art. I watched a video of the Mazda racing main engine builder rebuild a Wankel three rotor race engine in 13 minutes. It was art. However if you get your socket full of grease and drop it in the sand, or if the rust on the bolt head swells it enough to be in between sizes... you are going to have a bad time.

My vote is for the g3 pattern rifles. Plenty strong with a major caliber and a record of running in adverse conditions that give ak pattern weapons a run

5. Outlaw

Outlaw Supporting Member

Had a Norinco AK, paid $200. for it, sold it, now I want it back. Not for sale. Life sucks :foilhat::wah:

6. missiledefender

missiledefender Supporting Member

Semi Auto: AK or variant

Bolt Action: Lee Enfield

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Best engineered? Or most effective? Or most reliable?

So many variables.:confused:

But this one is a RIFLE, extremely well engineered, and will reach out and touch targets at long range, with or without the scope.;)

[​IMG]

Not mine, but same mount:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  8. undeRGRound

INDY
    I bet you gave it away! How Much?
    THAT was f*'n Stupid! :p
    Any AK is worth $500+ now!
    :wah:

9. Tribes

Tribes Supporting Member

AZ
    The 308-7.62x51 is one of the worlds great calibers. G3 an outstanding choice. Have the VEPR in 308 and it is a great shooter.

10. Tribes

Tribes Supporting Member

AZ
    Swiss K31 is a beautiful thing to reach out and touch someone.:)

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I shot a G3 in Germany playing war games with their reserves. Sweet rifle...but I still preferred the M-16. I could lay down LOTS more aimed fire faster with the 5.56.

However...there is something to be said about triple the bullet weight at 80% of the velocity.:p

12. Branth

Branth Member

I'd take an AR-10 over a G3 any day. They're significantly lighter, and the inherent accuracy of the AR platfrorm is nothing to sneeze at. I've never shot a G3, but the reduced moving mass that is all inline with the shoulder should help the AR-10 to be more controllable, as well.

It's what the US is moving towards today for the DMR rifles with the M110. Ironic, since they said they didn't want it when Eugene Stoner first made it. The again, Sullivan's insistence on an unproven composite barrel against Stoner's advice wasn't a great move, either.

13. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

The Marines and Navy seals have been using the SR-25 SASR for a long time. The SR-25 is also been re designated as the Mk11 Mod 0 and more recently as the M110.

The seals used it first in '93 in Somalia.

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    Guy did a tear-down on some Swiss 7.5x55 milsurp ammo...
    Made like a "Swiss Watch" :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
    Tolerances nearly all in the .0001 ranges! :eek:

15. undeRGRound

INDY
    Quite economical platform, as well. IMO, anyone with an AR-15 could
    easily make the jump to an AR-10 if they needed the longer action. :cool:
    I have seen a few examples of AR-10 units that almost made me buy it!
    But I strongly feel the need to purchase at least 5,000 rounds of ammo
    ASAP after any such purchase in the battle rifle category :D
    Just checked, however, and it's commonly under 50¢/rd! :eek:

16. gasman42

gasman42 Member

NC
    I like the AR platform with optics hands down. I have a Mosin and a SKS that will work just fine.. Select fire AKs just plain Rock
    But there to hard to acquire lol.. I think I trailed off of the topic best engineered would have to go to the AK it works in any condition
    With little to no maintnece

17. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

This is a hard question for me to answer... I love my AKs, but best engineered, I have to give it to the AR. One platform, many calibers, and it is a well engineered weapon. It will work CQ or it can reach out and touch someone, while the AK is more a short to mid-range weapon.

Now the AK may not be the best engineered weapon, but damn it will work in just about any condition and with very little maintenance, that counts for a lot also towards a well engineered weapon.

Eh... I'll grab both, one slung and the other at the ready!!

Edit: Just wanted to add, in a SHTF scenario, AK!! :D;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  18. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Attached Files:

19. Branth

Branth Member

Well, you learn something new everyday! This would explain why Magpul PMAGS are labeled LR/SR (DPMS pattern LR-308, and the SR-25)

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Just to spur discussion...it's funny to me how everyone STILL thinks the AR/M16/M4 is plagued by an inability to be reliable. It's not actually that finicky.

We've been using the thing for decades, as in half a century. In the very first deployment in VirtNam, there were issues....not due to design or engineering, but due to bean counter substitutions and political decisions.

But I personally know Marines that used the second gen guns there, and they LOVE the M16.

Do we hear about this all the time anymore? Are we seeing troops having failures in the sandbox all the time? Or regularly?

No, we aren't. The FACT is, the AR will run just fine with minimal upkeep and care. Like ANY machine made in the millions, stuff might break, or fail. But it's relatively rare.

The thing is, if an AR jams, people call it a bad design. If an AK jams, (and they do) people blame the ammo, the operator...anything but the gun.