Best grouping combo in 995 TS

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by RandyX, Aug 16, 2015.

1. RandyX

RandyX Member

Just wondering what everyone is finding to be the best grouping combo, say @ 50 yds.?

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

3inches is easily doable at 50 yards.

3. RandyX

RandyX Member

With which ammo talon? I have only tried 3 different ammo set ups and just can't seem to get tight consistent groups yet? thanks!

4. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

Are you shooting off hand or using a rest?
    Open sights or scope/red dot?
    What ammunition are you currently shooting in it?

5. talon

talon the banned wagon

In my 995ts i use Perfecta brass or Speer GoldDot mostly. But ive used most all major brands and have never had any issues.

6. RandyX

RandyX Member

I'm using a Hawke 3X32 scope, aluminum rail, front sandbag
    PMC 115 grn. Bronze RN
    American Eagle 115 grn. RN
    Freedom Munitions 124 grn. new XTP HP
    Federal 124 gr. HST HP
    This is the best group to date ... with the American Eagle .. 50 yds. black center is 3 3/4"

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  7. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I would be looking at the tightness of the rail and the scope mount first. Perhaps then a different scope to see if your scope has a problem.
    Some thing is off there.

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

Especially if using sandbags.
    I shoot standing and id be upset if my groupings looked like that. Something is a-miss.

9. RandyX

RandyX Member

Thanks guys, I'll try another scope next

10. talon

talon the banned wagon

Check the mounts for your rail first, they might have just loosened up some.

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    That's what I thought when I saw it...
    Check Scope, Rail, and maybe try a rear sandbag too.

Welcome to HPFF, RandyX!

12. RandyX

RandyX Member

Thanks underground, it didn't group well with irons, so I went to scope, wondering about the plastic rail I put the aluminum from Longshot on and back to scope, I've tried 2 bags , moved the front bag back near the trigger, put on the bi pod, took off the bi pod, Cold and clean it might group the first 2 ok but then seems to spread afterwards. I'll try another scope this weekend. I talked to MoM today and they said to get a couple of groups together for them to see and I may have to send it in. Sounds like a good bunch of folks !!!

13. Blondie70

Blondie70 NRA Life Member Member

I'm getting something like 3-4" and am using a red dot. Good for defense.

14. wingman

wingman Member

If you are using a front sandbag rest, move it rearward, as close to the trigger as possible. I had the same problem you are having. I moved my front rest as far to the rear as possible, and the group size dropped dramatically.

15. ratchowmein

ratchowmein Member

First make sure the receiver, the receiver cover, the rail and the scope are all tightly mounted, not moving around in or on the stock.
    Then since you are using a scope, you can lay a couple of sandbags on the bench, place the carbine on a couple of bags around where the serial number is, and one under the rear stock. Then lay another over the front top of the receiver where the other bags are, and do the same in the rear. If you have a lot of bags you can go to town fortifying the stability of it. You'll get a very stable firing position for the gun, and it removes many variables so you can get a reliable grouping. I do this for sighting-in any of my rifles.
    Try as many different brands and weights of ammo as possible. One of them will work decently. Hopefully, LOL.

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Once you get things tightened up, move it closer.

25, or even 10 yards, just to be sure it groups at all. Then you can extend the distance.

And ammo can be a huge factor.
    This is 25 yards, standing unsupported, Sightmark red dot reflex.
    You can see the Wolf is tight, the HSM is...not.

[​IMG]

17. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I have to ask are you a good shot? More practice maybe. That is the first thing that comes to mind when people say they can not get a tight grouping.

18. RandyX

RandyX Member

I consider myself a fairly good shot Moona, I do a lot of crossbow and arrow testing, but my forte is arrow flight. I'm 55 yrs old and have hunted with a rifle since age 14, never had an issue figuring out any issues but again that is with rifles, a pistol cartridge carbine is however, new to me. I have no problems spinning a 4" plate all day with my M&P 9MM Shield with a 3" barrel.
    Here is a 70 yd group with a crossbow, the 1 flier is due to a trigger issue the crossbow had, which was sent back and rectified, but you get the jist.
    Hopefully this weekend I can get some range time with some ammo that MoM told me to try, thanks

Attached Files:

19. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Now that is darned impressive to me. At my age of 70, I am about to go the crossbow route myself for deer in my state.

20. RandyX

RandyX Member

They're addictive OO, I could show you all sorts of impressive pics and videos like this, ... PM sent