Best Handguns under $500

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by ArmyScout, Jan 13, 2015.

1. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
  2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

My Taurus PT92 made the list!

3. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    I couldnt find a date on the list but some of those are no longer in production.

4. Hermitt

Hermitt Hey! Get Off My Lawn! Member

That is a crap list!

Where is the Witness 10mm?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. If you look hard enough you can find a new CZ75b for under 500, That's the best bang for your buck!

The clones aren't bad either ;)

6. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    Ruger just about ran the table on that list.

7. bws

bws Member

I love my XD's (9mm and .45) but I'm still rather surprised that HP didn't make the list, if anything, for the cost benefits. They're amazing pistols and you get a lot of value for the dollar. And had I known about the HP's prior to investing the bucks in the Springfields, I probably would have saved about 80% of the money I spent on them, had I just purchased a couple of specialty HP's (like the comp's).
    People rant and rave about HP's not being as accurate as a 1911, or some other middle of the line pistol. How? Since the barrel is fixed, and the bullet spends "x" nanoseconds traveling through the barrel at several hundred, if not thousand feet per second, it's not going to be any more or less accurate than the ability of the shooter. As long as the pistol is properly sighted, one should be pretty pleased with accuracy. And given the design differences between the HP 9, when compared to my XD-9, I don't see any determinable difference other than the ability to customize things and the ability to get almost twice as many rounds in the magazine. I think that was rather short sighted of the author of the article to overlook this family of weapons.

8. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Don't know when the list was made, or who made it, but it was posted this month. There could be several of these lists made and they would all have different firearms. And there will always be people who will disagree with the lists. Take them with a grain of salt.

9. jcwit

jcwit Member

Well it's on the internet, so it must be true.

Bonjour

10. Kiln

Kiln Member

I'm a fan of both the S&W SDVE pistols snd the Tristar/Canik guns in that price range. They're probably the best you can do without getting into the $450-500 price range.

11. Drinva

Drinva meandmy45 Member

VA
    I also call BS, not because I have guns that didn't make it, but because of the list itself. All those rugers? REALLY? I'm a Ruger fan, but the SR series is KNOWN to have issues, and a Mag Research pocket? Really? :confused:

I could make a better list in 5 minutes than that one!!!!

DR

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Heck. one of those guns isn't even available yet, has no track record at all.

It's good for finding a gun to consider, but otherwise, pointless.

13. Think1st

Florida
    I question the reasoning behind a lot of those lists. They never provide evaluation parameters and always seem to be pretty subjective.

14. mn_doggie

mn_doggie Member

MN
    You may have had a bad SR series firearm but there are a whole lot of us who haven't had issues.

I have a SR series with almost 4000 round thru it with only two light strikes on factory seconds ammo (purchased at $3 box of 50. I cleaned the dirty striker channel and they fired.). My friends and relatives have 5 other SR models with no problems.

I saw your post on your issues with a Ruger SR40 on another forum. Ultimately Ruger replaced your SR with a new model which you sold.

As I recall, you ended up getting a couple of S&W Shield pistols as replacements. Perhaps your Shields functioned fine but they did have a recall on them at one point.

My point is, the statement XXXX series is KNOWN to have problems could be made about every firearm out there.

My comment about the 10 firearms selected was based on the fact that the Ruger "P" series has been discontinued.

15. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

No Hi-Points makes it an "Under $500 and over $200" list in reality.
    And I always love how these armchair internet warrior "journalists" mix new and use guns on the same list.

Just do 2 lists! :mad:

16. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

They're just cleverly disguised informercials......
    Main reason why I'm not buying/reading any of the gun mags anymore.

17. Think1st

Florida
    To make matters worse, they cost three to four Times as much as they used to.

18. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

19. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Not everyone gets the LEO discounts... and they can be substantial, depending on MFG.