Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have become well stocked with 115 grn FMJ, but would like to get some Home defense JHP for the 995. Two questions though.

1. Does the 995 handle JHP rounds well?

2. What seems to be the favorite JHP round 124 or 147 grn?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have used the Remington JHP flawlessly.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try Federal HST in 124gr or 147gr.
The 147's look to have excellent expansion characteristics even when shot out of a 3" pistol, so should do great in a carbine.
And they aren't too pricey to boot if you can find em. Ammunitiontogo.com was where I got my 124gr +p's for my XD9sc and my 147gr for my 995.

<edit> And so far, I have never had my 995 FTF or FTE any hollow point I have fed her. And that's having gone through a few hundred rounds of hollow points from different manufacturers. I even keep a mag of CCI 9mm shot shells loaded up and have never had them FTF or FTE, when they won't eject from my XD. They don't build enough pressure to unlock the action , but the 995 is blowback operated so they work fine in it.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
i have a reload i use in mine with blue dot and 147 gr hornady XTPs. IMHO most JHP rounds made for use in pistols dont work the best in a carbine. you need to have a round deisgned for use in a 16" bbl to make the most of it. that said, any of the ammo above works, but not optimal to its design.

SW

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I actually have some jacketed hollow points that I had bought for my 92fs that when I try to feed into my 995 I have to push the cock back forward because the bullet does not want to go into the chamber. Should I be worried or did I just clean the rifle wrong.

P.s. I did buy mine used and haven't sent it to hi - point. It loads/fires FMJ just fine though.

·
Banned
10,232 Posts
I actually have some jacketed hollow points that I had bought for my 92fs that when I try to feed into my 995 I have to push the cock back forward because the bullet does not want to go into the chamber. Should I be worried or did I just clean the rifle wrong.

P.s. I did buy mine used and haven't sent it to hi - point. It loads/fires FMJ just fine though.
I've had the same problem, though I also have never cleaned my gun (I just found a youtube vid that shows me how easy it is - I was worried after looking at the exploded chart I got with the gun). I have used the Remington JHP (not sure the grain) and it jams pretty regularly. I do plan on cleaning it this weekend, but who knows when I'll get out to shoot again to see if the cleaning makes a difference. Does anyone know of any fully jacketed HP rounds that are easy to get? The kind with the full cap over the HP tip?

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Cor-Bon makes a round called the Pow'r Ball. It's a hollow point with a polymer round nose. The nose makes it feed more easily and doesn't allow the hollow point to get clogged with fibers from clothing. Hornady makes a similar tipped round but it didn't look as round.

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
As with any Hi Point, yours may be partial to one type of ammo or another. Tons, of people shoot wolf and Blazer perfectly while some never have problems with WWB. I use WWB with no problems even though thats not what the factory recommends. Just try 3 or 4 different types and see what happens.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.