Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that own more than one Hi-Point pistol what do you like best about each? Also what situations make one "the right tool for the job" over another?

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
For me the best feature of the 45JHP is that it is a beast. I really like shooting that big ole gun. Worst drawback is the cost of ammo. Guess that isn't so much of a drawback as it got me into casting boolits and reloading.

Best feature of the C9 is the cost of 9mm ammo.

Best feature of both is 1) Hi-Point cost and warranty, 2) Showing the gun snobs that neither is a piece of junk.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own a C-9 and a 45JHP. Today was the first time I shot the 45. I will agree with previous poster 2TN Mules on his points.

I've been shooting the C-9 for quite some time and really like it. After today, I will have to say that my new favorite is the 45JHP. The 45JHP didn't present any more perceived recoil. I really believe it was better in that regard. I also was able to shoot tighter groups with it.

That wasn't good enough for me. I've been reading a lot of gun snobbery down-playing Hi Points so I decided that I would rent a 1911 and use the same ammo as I was using in my 45JHP. I gotta be honest. My 45 JHP did just as well in my hands as that 1911 did.

I think 2TN Mules stated the 45JHP is a beast. It's an awesome beast indeed.

First let me say that I've not shot anything but paper targets with my pistols. I'm making that statement because I think you'll find many folks who have never shot anything but inanimate objects as well but will tell you that .45 ACP will provide the advantage for stopping power in a defensive situation. I don't know and I hope that I never have the opportunity or disfortune to ever be in a situation where I would need too. Regardless of caliber or bullet, you would need to do one thing. That one thing is be able to acquire the target and accurately place bullet where it needs to go. My recommendation is find a gun your comfortable with and practice, practice, practice. Don't sweat the caliber. I suspect that a well place .22LR hollow point would provide sufficient disruption to the target.

In order to practice, you'll need to be able to afford the ammo. A C-9 would be cheaper for ammo that a 45JHP.

I like the compactness of the C-9 and it is lighter to carry in a holster but now that I've shot the 45, I prefer the 45 for shooting and over-all feel. The up-side is that they both fit in my shoulder harness.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have HP's .380, .45 and a 995
1. I love the compactness of the .380, it is fun to shoot but I have found not all stores carry .380 ammo and it is a bit more then 9mm.
2. I agree with the other comments about the .45 being their favorite to shoot, I love mine. The weight of the gun absorbs some of the kick, so it doesn't seem to kick as much as some other .45's I have shot, but ammo is ridiculous right now I am lucky to find .45 auto fmj's for under 20 bucks for 50 rds.
3. Now the 995 is fun to shoot, I just wish it had a higher capacity magazine because I can walk right through 11 rounds in no time.
4. I have had Zero problems with any of my HP's they eat whatever ammo I feed them (although I have not used WWB based on the problems people on this forum have had with it). I have used PMC, Magtech, American eagle, wolf, UMC Fiocchi and others that I can't remember right now with no issues.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
i have (like seems to be the preferred combo meal around here) the 9 and the 45, without the longer clip the 9 is to small for my hands, the 45 looks in my hands like the 9 does in most other peoples... the only other hand guns i have shot is my jimenez 9, a davis 380 i had years ago, and a ruger revolvers in 22 and 357. of all of them i feel like the 45 is the most suited to me, and is the easiest to shoot and keep on target, something about the size and weight of it makes it feel more stable to me.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Overall feel: JHP, hands down. .45 ACP is spendy, but it's really fun to shoot. The grip is just the right size for my hands.
C9: Ammo cost takes the cake. The grip is too small for me, my little finger pulls downward on the magazine, pulling it out under recoil sometimes. The 10-rd. mag might help, but I don't have one. I would imagine that a Butler Creek or Hogue grip sleeve could help, too, but I don't have one of those either. Maybe it's due to the shorter slide, but it seems harder to aim than the JHP.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I find the HPJHP to be one of the most comfortable, accurate and trouble free .45 caliber pistols I have ever used. :yes:

·
Registered
236 Posts
I only own the .45 but man what a fun gun to shoot!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great input everybody! I have definitely decided that I am going with the Hi Point .45! I am a little tight on money right now, so it will have to wait a few months. I should get caught up financially after winter ends and I don't have to pay so much to heat the house.

Also since I have decided to go with the .45 I'm off to spend a little more time in the reloading forum!

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Delmar,

Glad to hear you've made up your mind. I hope you can get the 45 sooner than you predict. I am getting just getting into reloading now also because the 45 is an expensive beast to feed.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Delmar,

Glad to hear you've made up your mind. I hope you can get the 45 sooner than you predict. I am getting just getting into reloading now also because the 45 is an expensive beast to feed.
My wife says to go ahead and buy it, but I am more of a "good things are worth waiting for" kind of a guy. I'm already shopping for reloading equipment though. :D

G

·
Shoot, if my wife said go ahead and buy it, I would already have it home, tweaked and loaded. The only thing I would be waiting for is spare time to get to the range.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shoot, if my wife said go ahead and buy it, I would already have it home, tweaked and loaded. The only thing I would be waiting for is spare time to get to the range.
Who knows, if I'm wait a couple of months to by the .45 I might even happen upon some ammo at Walmart, in the mean time.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I got lucky today. Wal Mart finally had 45ACP, both WWB & Remington. No 9mm though. Had had 9mm every time I went over the last month but no 45.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I found a bulk pack of .45 the other day at wally world, 250 rds for $80

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I finally purchased my Hi Point .45 today! Now I have to get some ammo and get down to the shooting range.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Delmar,

Congratulations!

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gonna go kill me some cardboard!

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Delmar, great looking gun you got there. However, and I say this with the utmost respect, get your boogerhook off the bangswitch!

Now, go kill some paper zombies. :)

·
Premium Member
44 Posts
I'm picking up my 380, 9mm, and 40 S&W on Tuesday. First time Hi Point owner (almost) I did not get the 45 because I already have a Springfield XD45 5" Tactical already. I suspect that I will get the 45 down the road to complete the set. I don't know much about the Hi Point pistols, but I like everything I've seen posted on the web from end users (not corporate hype) How has this company flown under the radar for so long? I haven't been following the gun trends for the past 10 years on manufactures, models, new calibers etc. I'm excited about putting them through the test. I also have a Sarsilmaz Hancer 2000 9mm (CZ Clone) bought at Academy for $399. All metal, heavy little gun made in Turkey. Great gun, but I wish I would have know about Hi Point before I made the purchase. Great website guys!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts