Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I know you guys are in the habit of giving advice that you truly feel is accurate so I figured you would steer me right about smart phones.

What is the best out there? My main requirements are good battery life, excellent reception, good camera, and lots of gadgetry. Here is the root of my decision to buy. My co worker just got a new Blackberry Curve and I think he knows I find that it is unacceptable he have a phone newer than mine. Never mind the fact I also could use it for my own home business, lol.

At the top of my list after a couple days looking is the BB Curve 8830, BB Pearl, Motorola Q9c, and HTC Touch. My carrier, if it makes a difference, is Alltel.

Any help folks? Whatever you know would be helpful and I know very little about these gizmos. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Blackberry 8830 is what I carry, and I loe the thing. Mp3 player, video player, phone, everything but a camera, which the curve has (same phone basically). It accepts Micro SD cards, which I picked up a 2 gig at walmart 15 bucks. Whatever you get, head on over to www.funformobile.com for tons of free ringtones and other junk to really show him up. There are LOTS of free apps for the blackberry too. I have a file browser, RSS reader for those news feeds, facebook app (really dont use that much, nice to have i suppose), opera mini for browsing the net, plus lots more. I have about 5 emails going to my phone (personal emails and work alike), and much much more. 00

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
ALL I need a phone for is to make an occasional call anything other then that is a waste. I have a Tracfone cheap, NO contract, and If it gets lost or stolen I just get another.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
Mine is a Samsung that they sent for free from Verizon after we aded a line on my wifes contract. Its stood up to avery kind of abuse ive given it including being launched out the cube van window at 60 MPH after it dropped a very important call and i lost a contract because of it.

SW

·
Registered
870 Posts
It is the {Black}{Crack}berry Curve for me! I had to choose Verizon because of coverage in my my part of town.

·
Premium Member
240 Posts
ALL I need a phone for is to make an occasional call anything other then that is a waste. I have a Tracfone cheap, NO contract, and If it gets lost or stolen I just get another.
+1 Shooter

Now if I can just remember to turn it on or even take it when i leave home. :lol:

Take Care and Stay Safe

·
Banned
4,095 Posts
I've forgotten how to turn mine off and I have to carry it with me everywhere I go [It's my security blanket ya know :wink: ]

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
I've forgotten how to turn mine off and I have to carry it with me everywhere I go [It's my security blanket ya know :wink: ]
That's funny because I've always hated phones; it's the one technology I'd uninvent if I had that power. I need mine with me at all times, I carry it around the house with me so it's close when calls come, but I often get up and walk out the door without it. I guess subconsciously I'm trying to get away from it! And, in today's world, everyone tells me that's a

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Many of us rely on smartphones because it's far easier to carry one of these instead of lugging around an entire laptop. I myself wouldn't be able to do my job half as well as I do if it weren't for the constant info I can get from my phone and it's ability to synch with Windows Calendar, Documents and Outlook express.

As far as smartphones, I say wait for the HTC Diamond to become more prevalent. It's got the same basic OS as the Touch, but in far better build quality. It's also a bit slimmer with a larger screen, which makes it alot easier to use those icons.

The Blackberry's are nice, especially with that keyboard but the thing is that you have to pay extra just for the push email service and some carriers nail you on a data plan as well. Suck. But, they're smartly built and don't have all that flash that you get with consumer phones, which is nice. It's buisness all the time, and that's not always a bad thing.

At least you haven't fallen into the hype of the iPhone being the best phone for everyone no matter what. The iPhone, while flashy, is NOT a smartphone no matter how many people keep telling me I'm wrong. If it cannot record video, edit ANY office document or connect to any computer by either a cable, bluetooth or memory card, then it's worthless to me.

·
Premium Member
2,308 Posts
I cannot believe no one said Apple's iPhone 3G. There I said it.

I don't own one though. I let other people feel good about themselves by help me with THEIR phone.

I hate these 'smart devices'

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I cannot believe no one said Apple's iPhone 3G. There I said it.

I don't own one though. I let other people feel good about themselves by help me with THEIR phone.

I hate these 'smart devices'
The iPhone isn't a smartphone. It's a pretty, shiny regular phone for pretentious douchebags. But, again, actual smartphones aren't for everyone. They're great for those of us who need a laptop, but don't have room in the dockers for one :p

·
You know who I am
9,324 Posts
The iPhone isn't a smartphone. It's a pretty, shiny regular phone for pretentious douchebags.
That is the most accurate description of that device that I have ever heard.

I personally don't like smartphones because they are tied to the vendor. I carry a PDA (HP iPaq 2215) along with my el-crappo Samsung SCH-U540. I've been through 3 cell phones since I've had that thing. It isn't pretty anymore, in fact the majority of the case is cracked and/or missing. It still runs just fine though.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
Neo, 100% agree with the iphone statement. But as for the blackberry, I think you need to look into that a bit more. I have an unlimited data plan, period. I have a BUNCH of email accounts set up, including my blackberry email that it comes with, i surf the web all day long and always looking up problem solving junk on the fly at work, I use yahoo IM to get past the character limit of txt, I have facebook, and soo many other things that cost me zero more to use, no matter how much or little I do so. This is the reason I finally went with a BB. I don't check email anymore except to clear it out and to look at attachments in a larger format. I save pictures to my SD card and transfer that to my laptop via transfer cable (also charges it) or just pop the SD card out and into it's full size adapter and into the card reader on my laptop for back ups, how great is that? For me, BBs don't getr much more perfect. I watched Rambo on it today while imaging some machines.

·
Premium Member
260 Posts
I got tired of carrying multiple pouches / gadgets around my waist so recently combined my phone and pda into a Treo 700p. It works well for phone / calendar / texting. Not the latest or greatest but meets my needs.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
I was thinking of getting a newer phone. This thread isn't much help, as what I have is newer than those listed.

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
The Best Smot phone one can get is a Free One!

T-Mobile just sent me an Alcatal Astro cellphone for being such a good customer!

Smiling eldar

·
Premium Member
36,070 Posts
I was thinking of getting a newer phone. This thread isn't much help, as what I have is newer than those listed.
Well DUH!

It's been 7 years this thread's been dead, in tech time, that's 4 generations!:D

I have the iPhone 5C, free with my contract, tons of free Apps, no learning curve if you have an iPod or iPad, syncs easily with your other iOS items and iTunes, and you throw Google Chrome in, and you also have your browser bookmarks too. I leave the Cel data off unless I want to use it, (I'm usually near WIFI) and get three to four days of battery life.

Got a surprise the other day, I was surfing on the iPad, phone in the other room...and my iPad let's me answer my phone remotely and carry on the conversation. Kinda cool!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts