Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

Best State for buying, carryin, and concealing?

2K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  sean187 
#1 ·
What is the best state for concealed carry without any paperwork?

I heard Montana is considering allowing concealed without any necessary paperwork. I heard they are fighting for it right now.

I am aware Virginia has open carry for all for free with no paperwork.

On a second note, is there any State with no paperwork and cash and carry a handgun out of their state. I.e. I am in Virginia and I go to Texas and purchase 20 handguns and carry them home?

From what I know all states require you to transfer it to the FFL in your area which then in essence is putting you on the grid.

So, best state for Concealed? Open, and Purchases?

#5 ·
Here in Montana, you have to have a CCW when carrying in a city or a township, outside city limits, anyone can carry open or concealed.

As far as paper work, current every state requires the background checks, at least every state I have read about. We did have a bill on the plate to do away with that, but it was shelved for the time being. We did pass a law that says if a gun is made in Montana, for use in Montana, then no federal background check will be required..but currently no manufacture is producing guns of this nature yet.

As long as you pass the background check, it is cash and carry. No waiting period at all.

Dp

#6 ·
Thanks for the great replies guys! I think the open carry site is great and answers most fo the questions.

Although do you know a state which will sell you a handgun with an out of state license and then carry it back to your state? I think any FFL may force you to do a transfer.

Meaning, if I were on vacation to a lower priced state I may be able to pick up a handgun ant a smaller type of inexpenseive shop and then carry it home with me. I know in VA. we have the gun show loophole, which is not a loophole of the gunshow itself, but allows private citizens to sell to each other.

Meaning if you are in a smal general store / hardware store, perhaps the employee will sell it to you person to person, but perhaps if they have an official FFL license they agree to treat all transactions as official and will not.

Basically, have any of oyu travelled out of state and purchased a HANDGUN. Not shotgun, not rifle?.

#7 ·
Here in Montana, non-residents cannot purchase handguns from a FFL, you are still allowed to purchase from a private party

Dp

#10 ·
I think Alaska is like vermont, you can get a paper permit if you want but don't have to, at least that was the case last time I checked. Here in Wyoming we have open carry, and the ccw is just some type of firearms safety class and paperwork. Buying is pretty easy just the phonecall and out the door.

#11 ·
Kentucky is the best state to carry in period.

Whole state has been repeatedly schooled on open carry rights and concealed carry rights and you actually have more rights when you Open carry. State parks and so on. Plus people are just generally cool about it. I haven't had one bad open carry incident since I started carrying my HP .40 around to dog parks and grocery stores and so on. It's great.

#13 ·
washington state has a 5 day waiting period on buying a handgun. and a 30 waiting period for the cc permit.
as far as buying a gun across state lines here in washington you can buy over state line but must have it shipped or the ffl dealer or the people have to hand deliver to the place you will be picking the gun up at.but you still have the 5 day wait to recive it. here in my state.

#14 ·
michigan you can open carry, you have to have a background check to purchase, but not to open carry.. (least what i've been told)

#16 ·
here in macon ga,i dont need a license to buy.i fill out a small form they do the background check in 2mins and im out of there.i dont need a license to carry in my car.i belive the only reason i would need a license is to carry on me out in public but at that i dont think i could go into any kind of bussniss which im gonna check into because its very bad here and when i go to the convience stores its dangerous.checkout my local news comstime www.13wmaz.com youll find someone getting shot/killed everyday.mostly convience stores getting robbed and killed.the asian community held a ralley here on tv about 3 indian st6ore owners getting killed in 3 weeks.2 were kin.so its out of control here and im sory if i got off topic,i tend to do that even in person.oh 1 question im getting the 9 instead of the 40 because i rememberd from the last one i had it was to bulky and hard to conceal.i need it for self defense so that being said,whats a good ammo for the hp9 for self defense?

#17 ·
Here in Montana, you have to have a CCW when carrying in a city or a township, outside city limits, anyone can carry open or concealed.

As far as paper work, current every state requires the background checks, at least every state I have read about. We did have a bill on the plate to do away with that, but it was shelved for the time being. We did pass a law that says if a gun is made in Montana, for use in Montana, then no federal background check will be required..but currently no manufacture is producing guns of this nature yet.

As long as you pass the background check, it is cash and carry. No waiting period at all.

Dp
I just noticed a new sign up just outside of Kalispell advertising Montana made ARs. Haven't checked it out any further than that yet though....

#18 ·
Ohio's pretty good. Shall-issue state. $50 for 5-year license. Open carry allowed without a license. Simple NCIS check for gun purchases, immediate yes or no. Private sales/trades allowed without background checks or FFL.

I think it's a good balance.

-'b

#19 ·

Dp
Hi Wade,

I read an article a while back about a new company in town that is producing parts right now, but will be going into full production in the future. It will be interesting if they do come out with them, as we being Montana residents, will not even have to have a back ground check, if we don't intend to take them out of the state...

I am sure there will be more to come up when this happens!

Dp

I just noticed a new sign up just outside of Kalispell advertising Montana made ARs. Haven't checked it out any further than that yet though....

#20 ·
I don't know about other states, but I can mention on Kansas. Luckily, we have a gun-friendly senator, she is VERY Pro-gun and is even a CCW holder I was told in my class. She also said that suppressors, class III firearms, and the like are legal too(with the right paperwork) in this state because, and I quote" They're cool."

I don't know how other states are with suppressors and the like, but it's to my understanding that some states just say "No, you can't have anything cool, buy a stock gun and be happy you get that."

#24 ·
again here in my town macon,ga out military weapons dealer has suppressors and they look cool but cost too much.other than cool really no point in getting one.but shortly im going to thr courthouse to find out where i can get a license to cc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.