Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm am a new gun owner and recently purchased a Hi-Point 9mm C9 Luger. That being said I do apologize in advance if I use some of the wrong terminology or ask some blatantly stupid questions. I have fired one before, as my father-in-law owns one and enjoys his, and found it quite enjoyable, so I followed his recommendation. The design of the pistol is nice, however as many owners may already know, it is not designed to be field stripped. To actually break it down and clean it, this particular gun needs to be disassembled with the use of additional tools, from the look of the YouTube videos that I have been watching a small screw driver and a hammer, as well as a phone book or other padded object.
From what I've read, a lot of people are of the mindset that it should be cleaned after every shooting, and that is not what I am questioning. Now I know that everyone has their own opinion on cleaning, and their own best practices, however my curiosity is in how often it is necessary to break the gun down completely, removing the pin and the slide, as well as the recoil spring, as well as a few additional pieces, and perform a thorough cleaning. however I did not see anything on Hi Points website in regards to recommended ways to clean this pistol.

·
Hi-Point Owner
145 Posts
It's in there, Just go to the HP website and look on the left at manuals. Go to C9 and down to care and use. Hope this helps. Oh Yeah, :) Welcome from Grove City, Ohio,

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
Welcome to the forum from NE Wisconsin.

·
Premium Member
35,579 Posts
Sounds like they answered your question.

Welcome to the group!

And not to bust your chops...but the "Luger" is basically the last part of the name of the 9mm ammo, not part of the gun's name. Sometimes the ammo is also called 9mm Parabellum, or 9X19.

Anyway, enjoy the gun!:)

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts
Here's some youtube help for the C9:

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a new C9 and the slide will not slide to the back enough to lock the slide open. That is not with out the magazine in the gun. Is there a defect with this pistol?

·
Registered
2 Posts
the slide on my new C9 will not stay open with out the magazine in the pistol. And the slide will not go far enough to the rear to use a punch to remove the pin to remove the slide.

·
Premium Member
35,579 Posts
Are you using the safety in the notch to hold it open without the mag?

And the "not quite far enough back" thing is pretty common. You can either grind a touch of material out to make that slot bigger (once you DO get the slide off) or you can use something like a padded clamp on the barrel to hold the slide far enough back to make it easy to line up the punch.

I just stick the punch in at an angle, pry up and back until it is vertical, and knock the pin out that way.;)

·
Registered
481 Posts
I think most of them are like that. Maybe its incase the pin doesnt work itself out and then fall out? or to make it tricky to take down?

Try this, slide it back and with you rleft hand push it back as far as you can and poke a tooth pick into the safty like this

·
Premium Member
559 Posts
You REALLY have to slide HARD. Do the push technique with hands at your chest. Getting the slide back that last 1/4 inch (approx) is much harder than simply racking the slide.

·
Premium Member
929 Posts
I just bought a new C9 and the slide will not slide to the back enough to lock the slide open. That is not with out the magazine in the gun. Is there a defect with this pistol?
If it's brand new, you just gotta break in the spring. Had the same issue with mine when straight out of the box and before shooting. Now have no issues with that at all. Seen similiar issues with a brand new Ruger LCP 380 on trying to move the slide. I think it's pretty normal for all semi pistols when fresh out of the box.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I myself, cleaned and lubricated my gun when I got it,and before I even shot it so I could get familiar with it and it was pretty easy and I just bought a basic gun cleaning kit to clean.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I went and bought the hoppe's bore snake and a can of CLP. I spray the barrel and then run the snake from the inside, out the front of the barrel. I do this after every trip to the range. Then after around 1000 rounds I will break it down and give it a good clean and lube.

Sent from my iPod touch using Hi-Point Forum

1 - 18 of 18 Posts