Best way to remove bullet lube from finished rounds...

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by Kagern, Feb 10, 2008.

1. Kagern

Kagern Guest

Hello all!
    I've just started using LRN bullets instead of jacketed for my reloads, and was wondering what an easy method was to remove the excess lube from the outsides of the finished rounds? I've tried tumbling them for a few hours, but all that seems to do is cake them in burned up powder all over the lube. For now I'm hand cleaning every round. There must be a better way, right?

2. Are you talking about removing the lube from the bullets ? Your not lubing the brass are you ? For my pistol reloads that I use LRN the bullets get lubed, but not the brass. The only time I lube my brass is when reloading .223

3. I do not remove the lube from Cast Lead bullets. This lube helps to protect the barrel from leading when you shoot them.

4. A.C.P.

A.C.P. Member

I think he means when the bullet is seated in the case some of the lube smears down the case causing kinda of a messy round. This is primarialy from tumble lube bullets. I just use old towel and twist around each completed round. Dont want that gunk in the chamber so it is best to clean it off.

5. Ari

Ari Guest

I don't cast my own, and I use carbide dies so the only lube I have is the small lube ring on the lead projectile. Where is your lube coming from?

6. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

I don't have that problem often. Maybe 5 rounds out 200. I wipe them off with a rag. What kind of lube are you using?

7. Silicon Wolverine

Silicon Wolverine Well-Known Member

likely too much lube on his bullets. ive had that happen with national bullets and a few from midway as well.

SW

8. If your not using carbides, you have to lube or you can seize up a brass in a die, have seen my father in law do it, took forever to get it out. make sure your not over lubing, but if you just dont want the lube on there, through a handfull at a time into the tumbler. Some say it's dangerous due to static, but I have never heard any real information on it and have done it plenty of times myself.

9. Kagern

Kagern Guest

This is what I meant, sorry for the confusion (thick blue lube that is in between the carns on the bullet from the factory). I buy carbide dies whenever I can, lubing each case is just... Ugh. I guess I am going to hand clean each one then, hehe. I'm running out of old undershirts.

10. Yea that sucks... I hand clean all my .223 reloads :(

11. Jarhead1775

Jarhead1775 Guest

Check your seating die. I have to take mine apart every 3000-4000 rounds and clean them out of lube and lead. My dillon dies have a hole down the center of the seater which can accumulate this stuff. I see it with mostly 45acp and 38 special.

Also, are you belling the mouth of the case enough or are you forcing it in when seating. This can also cause the gobbly goop buildup.

12. +1

I have some 115gr LRN's that came pre-lubed and on my first couple test rounds I didnt have enough belling on the case mouth and during the seating process I was getting excess lube down the case as well. By belling the mouth of the case a little more it ended the excess lube issue.

A proper bell should be just large enough for the bullet to set in properly without falling down inside the case. Not enough belling and the bullet will be squeezed during the seating process and end up shaving lead of squishing lube out inside the seating and crimping dies.