Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Reading common distances are 25/50/100. Inside around my home I would never have to shoot at more than 25 yards. But I'm reading it's better to zero for 50 yards?

·
Super Moderator
28,363 Posts
Home defense? No more than the maximum distance in your home.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Administrator
24,380 Posts
Reading common distances are 25/50/100. Inside around my home I would never have to shoot at more than 25 yards. But I'm reading it's better to zero for 50 yards?
Just go 25 yards. That should give you a an approximate +/- 6 Point Blank Zero from 0-75 yards.

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
The longest straight un-obscured line in my house is only 30 feet (10 yards), everything else has twists and turns to get from point A to point B. I figure if I can hit something at 15 yards then I'm good to go. Even going thru multiple walls the longest distance would be about 50 feet.

·
Super Moderator
28,363 Posts
The longest straight un-obscured line in my house is only 30 feet (10 yards), everything else has twists and turns to get from point A to point B. I figure if I can hit something at 15 yards then I'm good to go. Even going thru multiple walls the longest distance would be about 50 feet.
The biggest issue in these sort of discussions for super close range is the height-over-bore issue. Hitting 4 inches low isn't a problem until it's a problem.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Premium Member
35,662 Posts
The biggest issue in these sort of discussions for super close range is the height-over-bore issue. Hitting 4 inches low isn't a problem until it's a problem.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
You're not going to get 4" low unless you mount a sight stupid high. You MIGHT get 3" with a carbine at 2 feet.

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts
You're not going to get 4" low unless you mount a sight stupid high. You MIGHT get 3" with a carbine at 2 feet.
Why you aiming at 2 feet. Lol

·
No longer broke...
21,623 Posts

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,804 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
General SD ranges is up to about 7 feet. We trained people to basically expect to be able to boop someone on the nose. At 30 feet, you're not aiming. If someone is in that range and they sprint at you as you start firing, they will likely plow you over even if you have good shot placement. That's not a precision moment, that's just trying to get shots on target. OTOT, if you have time for precision, odds are you aren't in a SD situation, yet. Nobody is going to challenge you from 50 yards away with "Have at you! I plan on firing on you momentarily, unless you stop me!"

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Most self defense shootings are the length of a car or the biggest room of your house (corner to corner) as the furthest and contact distance at the closest.

Even police marksman, normally only site in and shoot 100 yards and closer.

What's the average distance around your house to potential trouble. THEN, are you going to get into a situation where you'd have to engage targets in your neighbors yard or in the middle of the street....and are they gonna like you using their house as a back stop for bullets? THEN do they have guns and will they return fire?

Can you even return fire or shoot at people not in your house or on your property, it differs from state to state.

I think in some states you must have to have already stabbed you 7 times and have already soiled yourself BEFORE you can shoot.

Others?...you didn't tip your hat to me?! BANG

PS, that last bit was a joke.

You have some thinking and I would speak to a lawyer about your concerns and their opinions. I recommend that everyone have a criminal defense attorney on retainer.

Not everyone has a union/dept lawyer to run in and ask or to defend them in a shooting. I have the PMOs Office...which is not the greatest. Military Lawyers....swell.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts