Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
see what happen was. I was on my way to work and i saw a sign for a yard sale. sign said weapons, tools, reloading gear. etc So i stoped and got 100lbs of hard lead shot for $35.00!! Needless to say i snagged it and have been melting it and pouring it into ingots for storage speaking of wich man that takes forever..lol :D

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Once I get to Alaska, we'll have to get together for some reloading time dude. Should be a hoot! Congrats on the score, good for you!

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hell compared to the 1.79 a pound i was paying i was very happy. I may keep on just buying the lead shot as it is only like 28$ for a 25lb bag here. thats cheaper then what i have been paying. Does anyone know of a cheap place to buy lead? If so could you please pass on the info? Thanks -Bob

P.S. when you gettin up here Primal? and were abouts are you going? Alaska is a big place..lol.....Eilson is only about a 10 minute drive from my place.

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
Ah damn dude. I thought you were near Anchorage... I'm going to Elmendorf on the north end of Anchorage. I think it's 350 miles from where you're at. Crap.

Maybe if you and your wife take a vacation we can get together or something. That'd be sweet. It'd be nice to do some shooting. Gotta help you shoot up all that lead you just scored.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Acutally most people here go to anchorage about once a month or so. The drive isnt to bad lots of neat things to see. Its about a 4.5 hr trip but we are always up for it. That and most of the good stores like cabelas and what not are there. Sucks having to pay 55, a brick for primers here in fairbanks when i can get em in anchorage for 28.00 I will be loading up next summer. ANyways let me know when you are starting to get ready for the move. I can give you some advice on the trip if you want it. Also some of the best fishing and sheep hunting and grizzlies are about a hour north of were your going and 3 hours south of me maybe we can get together for that. I tell ya what sheep hunting is the best nothing like taking 700+ yard shots..lol

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
I'll need to get some good glass on my 7mm Rem Mag before I even attempt a shot like that, but that can be taken care of no problem.

I can't wait to get there man. I'll be heading that way in November, probably leaving on the 1st, so expect something from be before then.

·
Registered
4,513 Posts
Good score. I am one of the fortunate few that can still get good reloading lead alloy for free. But then again I don't get the perks you do of living in Alaska.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
November!!?? You are not driving are you? If you are you better plan on at least 10-15 days from were you are in new mexico. Most of the alaskan hwy through canada is hard as hell driving in the summer let alone during winter. also it will be about 20-30 below 0. good tires, and chains are a must bro. also start the paper work for your weapons now if you are taking em with you. The canadians are very strickt on it. If you can i would have the air force ship everything you can then hual as little as possable. last thing is keep a camera handy at all times. it is the most beautiful drive you have ever taken.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
+1 on the weapons. DO NOT try and take them through canuckistan, especially the "evil" ones. you pay 75$ to get them into canada and 75$ to get them out. freight them to someone in alaska and then pick them up later. as you are moving there as a resident it is perfectly legal.

SW

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
BTW in canadian evil is anything of the semi auto persuasion. or any pistol with shorter then a 4.1 inch boom tube

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Acutally most people here go to anchorage about once a month or so. The drive isnt to bad lots of neat things to see. Its about a 4.5 hr trip but we are always up for it. That and most of the good stores like cabelas and what not are there. Sucks having to pay 55, a brick for primers here in fairbanks when i can get em in anchorage for 28.00 I will be loading up next summer. ANyways let me know when you are starting to get ready for the move. I can give you some advice on the trip if you want it. Also some of the best fishing and sheep hunting and grizzlies are about a hour north of were your going and 3 hours south of me maybe we can get together for that. I tell ya what sheep hunting is the best nothing like taking 700+ yard shots..lol
Wild sheep! That sounds great. Big enough to make a few meals out of. Small enough to carry out!

·
Registered
17,846 Posts
BTW in canadian evil is anything of the semi auto persuasion. or any pistol with shorter then a 4.1 inch boom tube
Yeah man, I have all the forms that I have to fill out when I get home. I am going to take as many rifles/pistols with me that I possibly can, as I don't really trust the movers to treat my guns as I would. There are a few that I won't be able to take through with me, due to barrel length requirements, but that's fine, I can get my FFL buddy to take care of those for me no problems.

Oh, and trust me on one thing. If I get even a remote chance to hunt anything in Alaska, I am going to take it. I would like to try some of my cast lead bullets that I made for my 7mm Rem Mag with gas checks. I wonder what kind of accuracy I'll be able to get out of them.

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There is plenty of ranges round here. The one i go to the most has up to 1k meter range. Just make sure you got good tires, and a set of chains. Carry an extra 5 gallons of gas or so. and warm chothes. Thr drive isnt to bad untill the last 150 miles or so. When you hit that last stretch you will only be able to drive about 30mph. Like i said keep the camera ready. I have seen a lot of places but nothing holds a candle to the alaskan highway for nature's beauty. Make sure you bring a cooler with lots of food as eating on the road is really pricey. oh yeah have at least two spare tires for your vehicle and a trailer if aplicable.

As far as the cast rifle rounds i have beed debating trying some. I would like to find somein 224 so i can make cheapys for range plinking. Problem is Lee doesnt sell a mold for em and i cant find any gas checks for em on midway. I am sure if i look around more i can find some though.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
There is plenty of ranges round here. The one i go to the most has up to 1k meter range. Just make sure you got good tires, and a set of chains. Carry an extra 5 gallons of gas or so. and warm chothes. Thr drive isnt to bad untill the last 150 miles or so. When you hit that last stretch you will only be able to drive about 30mph. Like i said keep the camera ready. I have seen a lot of places but nothing holds a candle to the alaskan highway for nature's beauty. Make sure you bring a cooler with lots of food as eating on the road is really pricey. oh yeah have at least two spare tires for your vehicle and a trailer if aplicable.

As far as the cast rifle rounds i have beed debating trying some. I would like to find somein 224 so i can make cheapys for range plinking. Problem is Lee doesnt sell a mold for em and i cant find any gas checks for em on midway. I am sure if i look around more i can find some though.
Try over at castboolits.gunloads.com/

·
Banned
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Nice. I have yet to try wheel weights. I found some oncew but the guy wanted 10 cents a peice for em. Needless to say i walked away..lol

·
Registered
128 Posts
nice i got bout 10 lbs of WW yesterday gotta get time to hit up more tire shops. got over 50 lbs worth of lead melted down into ingots from bullets from a local gun range...paid 25$ for that...not to bad

1 - 18 of 18 Posts