Big Sky Shooting

Discussion in 'Gun Reviews and Range Reports' started by Dohrmc, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Dohrmc

Dohrmc IIWFWTIWRTW Member

Back in October, I met some old Vietnam/Air Force and Air Guard buddies for a reunion in Montana. We were in Whitefish. It was a Manly Reunion, so we ate well, smoked cigars, drank whisky, toured Glacier National Park, shot Sporting Clays, and did a two day fly fishing float trip for trout. (Caught my first trout, and it was on a fly I tied myself).
    We also spent a day at the NEMO facility shooting range. (Google their rifles).
    One of the guys had an in there, and we shot their rifles all day. They wanted rounds put through their barrels, so we filled that square for them.
    An unbelievable range-they train Special Operators there.
    We shot 5.56, 300 Blackout, .308, and .300 Win Mag at ranges from 25 yds to 1000 yards. The .300 Win Mag had a patented recoil reducer built into it, so it did not bother me to shoot a cannon like that all day. Very, very, very $$$$$$$ weapons. Silenced, too.
    At the end of the day, the head guy said we all had 5 shots at 1000 yards with the .300 Win Mag. Man, that is a long way out there. Another guy and I hit it twice, but everyone hit it at least once.
    If I lived out there, I would have to have that .308. I will try to post some pictures. Def the trip of the year kind of stuff!

Attached Files:

2. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Great when you can get together with former Military buddies. Nothing like it.

3. Dohrmc

Another group of Montana photos. Well, only one posted. This is my .308 group of 5 shots at 100 yards. I want one of these rifles/scopes.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  4. Dohrmc

A view of the enormous range, it goes for miles. All that you see is range.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  5. Dohrmc

All of us were military pilots, Curt Hughes, former squadron mate and good guy. Hopefully the picture is good enough to check out the gun. This, I think, is the .300 Win Mag.

Attached Files:

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Very cool thing, both the reunion and the range.

Love that bumper sticker behind you in the photo.:)

7. Dohrmc

Standing at the 1000 yard target. I am pointing at my first hit. I would say more than a little luck with that shot placement.
    Oh yeah, the wind was blowing like it always does in Montana, but remember we had one of the best Sniper Instructors in the USA helping us. I just used the mil dot scope and held left and high.
    He told us the bullet has to be aimed a little more than 25 feet high to hit at that distance.

I would like to live there except for the winter thingy.

Attached Files:

8. Dohrmc

Nice cutthroat trout on the Clarks Fork River.

Attached Files: