Big Tom

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by cicpup, Feb 4, 2016.

1. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    *Disclaimers (will be explained)*

It's not finished.
    I'm a douche.
    Spread out over a few posts due to attachment limitations.

Big Tom is the name I've given to my Thompson Model of 1927 A-1. First pic shows all that was included when purchased.

The Case.

Originally I wanted to go with the traditional violin case but research revealed that even the largest case would be a very tight fit for a non-SBR Thompson with no real room for extras. So plan B was an acoustic guitar case. Them are some flimsy ass cases. Finally located a used bass guitar case at a used music store in Keene NH. It's perfect. Sturdy with good working hardware. Enough room to fit all I need to. Well worn enough to not draw any attention. Inside is lined with a fake black fur. Would have liked a more vibrant color but it was in real good condition so I ran with it. Went with a red velvet for a nice contrast.

Attached Files:

2. cicpup

Vermont
    1st hidden compartment & It's not finished.

In this compartment I installed a complete cleaning kit for a .45ACP, both screwdrivers needed to disassemble this beast, the third hand tool and the screw for the horizontal fore end. Not finished because I'm currently looking for someone who can embroidery, needlepoint or some such the Thompson Logo. It'll be black with gold outline. Last pic gives you an idea of how it will look (without the white paper).

Attached Files:

3. cicpup

Vermont
    2nd hidden compartment & I'm a douche.

Let's get the douchy thing out of the way. I came on here asking for help with ammo holders and Mole stepped up big time. They were for this compartment. 200 rounds and a hidden section for valuables. Well that was the plan but for the life of me I can't figure out how to pull it off without it looking cheesy. I haven't given up on it but it is on the back burner for the time being.

The compartment.

Unlike the one with the cleaning kit this compartment is meant for valuables and therefore has a hidden lock. Lock is accessed through a small opening hidden under the manual. It is modular (so to speak) in that the insert can be removed and replaced with another so possibilities are endless.

Attached Files:

4. cicpup

Vermont
    The bill (so far).

And here's the part that sucks and will make the stingy among you cringe.

Springfield 1911-A1 & 1911 Magazines not included.

$999.00 - Auto-Ordinance Thompson Model of 1927 A-1 Lightweight & 30rd Box Magazine
    $371.06 - 50 Round Drum Magazine($299), Horizontal Foregrip($45.10) & Forgrip Screw($5.50) + S&H($21.46)
    $ 67.00 - 3X Seymour Products Co. USGI 30rd Box Magazines
    $ 6.71 - THOMPSON Tommy Gun 1927 1928 & M1 OWNERS MANUAL
    $ 17.78 - Tools & Cleaning Supplies
    $ 50.00 - Used Bass Guitar Case
    $ 72.78 - Padding, Fabric, Glue, etc.
    ----------
    $1,584.33 - Total

I've already warned the wife that I'm looking for a Thompson 1911 to complete the package.

5. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

GAH!!! <clutches heart> THIS IS THE BIG ONE ELIZABETH! <stumbles dramatically>

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

6. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    LOOKING GOOD!

Don't sweat the trays, only took me a few minutes of my "free time"
    which I have lots of, at the moment! :D I'd rather it look good,
    than tacky, cuz these guys would say "Mole's ugly trays ruined it" :p

:rofl:

Looks GREAT, so far! Love the name. also :D
    Same as my middle name, BIG TOM! ;)

7. cicpup

Vermont
    It's my soon to be born grandson's name.

They're not terrible or anything and will probably look good. It's just not grabbing me right now like the 1911 did and frankly, I'm a bit worried about the added weight. It already weighs a ton. Everything fully loaded is 211 rounds. Throw another 170 on top of that and we're deep in hernia territory.

Attached Files:

8. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

As a display piece it's beautiful. But 211 pounds! That'd take a pretty tough gangster to haul that around. Not to mention I doubt that case was designed for that kind of weight. But I do like it.

I've got a display idea brewing for my American history in rifles collection. My biggest problem will be security. I want it gun safe secure so it will be spendy and heavy.

Nice job Big Tom!

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

1/2" Lexan mounted in a welded steel frame with a quality lock?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. undeRGRound

INDY
    He said ROUNDS, not Pounds :rofl: :D

I'd love to know the weight, actually!

RICH, I could see yet another "secret compartment" just for ammo ;)
    But I'd try stacking the 1911 mags vertically and put a 50 try under the
    barrel of the 1911, or a couple of the 20's. I LOVE the 1911
    in there, it is better than a bunch-o-bullets :D Actually, mounting the
    pistol exposed is another option, but that and another secret compartment
    means a remodel, and that means a lot more work :eek: ;)
    Cool Stuff, definitely a work of ART!

11. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have an old briefcase which I keep meaning to foam-fit for my sub2k.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

12. undeRGRound

INDY
    Also, coolnesss, the way you stuffed 6 "BenjaminZ" under the trays ;)

I'd like to find that post where I laid out about 20 of the "New Bens"
    on my car seat ;) (just had to deposit most of it later:() :rofl:

13. MachoMelvin

MachoMelvin Well-Known Member

Forgive me Lord for I have sinned!
    I have covet another mans gun?
    Because of the weight, you may reconsider a correct size of suitcase with the roller wheels on the bottom. This way you can extend the handle & roll it where you want it instead of carrying it?

14. undeRGRound

INDY
    Mission Accomplished, CIC!!! :rofl:

:D
    But IBANEZ > Samsonite :p

15. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

16. cicpup

Vermont
    Occasionally reading comprehension is important.

Don't have a scale handy but with the 1911 mags full and the Thompson mags empty I'd put it around 50lbs. Will weigh it with everything when I can borrow a scale.

17. cicpup

Vermont
    Small range report (or) Well I still have work to do.

Finally got to go test fire this puppy. Which is good since I had to modify the GI mags. First off, this thing was dead on accurate at about 10 yards. Sent my empty washer fluid bottle flipping 5 feet in the air from the very first shot. But notice I said it "was" accurate. That's because on the 6th round I got smashed across the bridge of the nose with the rear sight. Nope. I'm not a dummy with his head in the wrong place. It flew off the receiver losing 1 of the 4 retaining screws. But since only 3 holes actually have threads I guess it's not needed. But on a good note the LRHO works perfectly. After every single round. With all 4 magazines. Including the one it came with.

Time to dig out my rat tail file and locate that red Loctite.

18. You got tired of fighting with the old lady every time she stepped on it didn't you?

19. cicpup

Vermont
    That was one of the original ideas, but... It threw off the visual balance & would basically marry the 1911 to it instead of being optional. I only have enough red left to get the logo done with a large enough square leftover for handgun photos. Any changes now would require another trip to the fabric store. It was $9 a yard after 50% off and the sale is over. So that ain't happinin.