Binghamton Woman Runs Down Teen Burglars

Discussion in '2nd Amendment' started by Rachgier, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Rachgier

Rachgier Administrator Staff Member

On the headline alone, I THOUGHT she mowed them down with her car. Score one for persistent home owners.

http://www.wbng.com/news/local/Woman-defends-home-from-2-teenage-burglars-280364762.html

Binghamton, NY (WBNG Binghamton) The Juvenile Division at the Binghamton Police Department has more than 300 assigned cases so far this year. In September alone, they averaged one criminal juvenile case a day. Just this week, there were five juvenile arrests for crimes like burglary and robbery.

Caroline Lewis, of Brownell Avenue, had her home broken into Wednesday night by two teenagers armed with a handgun, but she didn't let the suspects slip away.

"The two juveniles came in. I had never seen them before and I didn't really know who they were," said Lewis. "They obviously knew we were hunters and that we had guns in our house, long rifles and shotguns for hunting purposes," she said.

The two teenagers took the long rifles and some electronics. Lewis ran after them on foot with her husband not far behind in their car. They chased the pair down Brownell Avenue and over to Cypress Street.

"And that is when they shot me with the air pellets. Once I knew it was air pellets I wasn't really afraid of them, so then they hopped a fence and went behind this house here," said Lewis.

One of the suspects jumped a fence and starting walking down Spring Forest Avenue.

"He had turned his jacket back inside out, so he wasn't in a black jacket any more. He was in camouflage and I met up with him," described Lewis.

And the chase continued down to Mygatt Street, where police were waiting. Police later found that the handgun was fully loaded.

"These kids think that this is a game. It's not a game. You're playing with someone's life and you've hurt my family and it upsets me," Lewis said.

Lewis and police both agree that this was not a random act-- the home was targeted. The long guns that were stolen were recovered, but there are still some items missing that were taken.

Angel Alicea, 18, was charged with burglary. The 15-year-old was charged as a juvenile offender and was sent to a detention facility upstate.

2. I am glad to hear the owners got their firearms back. I wonder what the punks were going to do with them if they got away? Good to hear they are locked up now.