Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a ? for you guys: I have a 12ga slug shot gun. Can I shoot any birdshot or buckshot shells in this gun? Any help here? :thinking:

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys, that is some GREAT information...but I was aiming for...will shooting any birdshot or buckshot mess up my slug barrel? This is what I was wanting to know.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SW, Thanks. I don't care about the patterns of the birdshot, buckshot...I just don't want to mess my slug barrel up. I will only shoot slugs in my slug barrel. I'll stay that way.

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
What do you have Sam? A local GS has used 18" police barrels for $50 that fit mostly the 870, but there were a few other brands in there. 2 3/4" rounds mostly.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dane, I have a Stevens 12ga rifled slug barrel. This is a single shot break-action one. This barrel has 3" shells on it.

·
Premium Member
1,145 Posts
Your 3" chamber will take 2 3/4" shells, the rifling may throw off the pattern some but for shooting rabbits or squirrels it ought to be ok. Probably be ok for larger "buckshot" loads too. Take a box of each round you want to try to the range and try them out. If the gun was manufactured to handle 3" slugs I really don't think 2 3/4" shot loads is gonna damage the gun. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
err.gray, Thanks for that. I'll try that out next good day over here. ;)

·
Registered
65 Posts
All though you can shot it out of the slug barrel it is not a good idea. The lead will build up fast in your groves throwing off your sabot slugs eventually witch is all that barrel is designed to shoot by the way. Slug barrels are for sabot slugs not regular rifle slugs.

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
All though you can shot it out of the slug barrel it is not a good idea. The lead will build up fast in your groves throwing off your sabot slugs eventually witch is all that barrel is designed to shoot by the way. Slug barrels are for sabot slugs not regular rifle slugs.
What is the difference between a sabot slug and most bird shot loads made today? There is a shot cup holding the lead away from the inside of the barrel just like a sabot round. Where will the leading from from you mention? There shouldn't be any choke on the slug barrel either to constrict the shot to a smaller diameter as a full or modified would do.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What is the difference between a sabot slug and most bird shot loads made today? There is a shot cup holding the lead away from the inside of the barrel just like a sabot round. Where will the leading from from you mention? There shouldn't be any choke on the slug barrel either to constrict the shot to a smaller diameter as a full or modified would do.
Shot cups do not go the full lenght of the shotgun shell a small bit of the lead come in contact with the barrel. Shot cups are designed to hold the shot away from the powder charge so the two dont mix. Shooting a rifled slug is not a constriction problem but a lead fowling problem as well. They make rifled slug barrels for sabot slugs not birdshot, buckshot, or regular slugs. The will all shoot out of the slug barrel yes but it is not the best idea for one to do.

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
Shot cups do not go the full lenght of the shotgun shell a small bit of the lead come in contact with the barrel. Shot cups are designed to hold the shot away from the powder charge so the two dont mix. Shooting a rifled slug is not a constriction problem but a lead fowling problem as well. They make rifled slug barrels for sabot slugs not birdshot, buckshot, or regular slugs. The will all shoot out of the slug barrel yes but it is not the best idea for one to do.
f

I am not looking to debate here. Only stating my experience. Shot cups I have seen and reloaded myself were full length and contained all the shot. I am sure there are still out there only shot spacers types (wadding), but the majority will be full cups. When in doubt there usually is a exploded view of the rounds internals to see what type shot cup. The constriction I was refering to was for the shot loads not slugs. There shouldn't be any constriction going on with a rifled barrel.

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
Dude are you serious? Where EXACTLY did you come by this "profeshinul-enuf" quality information?

SW

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
i looked at remington, NEF, browning and bennelli and all of them state that sabot slugs, conventional slugs and rifled slugs can be shot from thier rifled slug barrels. the only thing they say not to is buckshot or smaller shotshells.

SW

1 - 18 of 18 Posts