Black Anodized Low Profile Top Rails for 995

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by LongShotMfg, Jul 18, 2014.

1. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

The first batch of our new Low Profile Top Rails for the Original 995 carbines are going out for Black Anodize on Monday morning. We expect to have them back and ready to ship within 10 days.

We will start listing them for sale on Ebay starting Monday evening. Price is the same as for our standard Top Rails for the 995 and 4095 models...$34.80 ea.

Our seller ID is both.of.us . You will also be able to buy them directly from our website as soon as it is fully updated...still on target before the end of July. Once again, our website address is www.LongShotMfg.com

Additionally, next week we are also going to start offering our own aluminum replacement nut rails for securing all top rails for ALL HP carbine models.

They are going to be a one piece design that will enable users to actually mount the nut plate to the receiver shroud itself, thereby allowing the user to take top rails on and off without having to remove the shroud first.

If you are not clear on how I have described the new nut plate, it will be obvious to you when we post pics next week when we start offering them for sale. Probably going to be priced around $12 or so.

Some other new items going to be introduced next week as well, so keep watching for our posts.
    j.

2. Kronos

Kronos Oppulent Disparity Member

Technical questions for those curious...

1. Which Al alloy are these made from?
    2. What type of anodizing process is used on these?

Thanks

3. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

All of our products for HP's are made from 6061. For more specialized and technically machined rail systems we would go with 7075. The anodizing on our products is a higher quality MIL Spec Type II. We are very fussy about who does our anodizing process for us.

We don't use the Type III hard coat because of finished tolerance build up issues and the possibility of warpage after the hardcoat process. Our rails are machined to be FLAT and stay that way. Also, Type III hardcoat does not accept paint well should you ever want to change the color. Type II can be scratched, but the Type III will actually chip and leave unusable surfaces in the recoil grooves and the outer clamping areas when that happens.

Although most of our customers that want a black finish prefer anodizing, my personal preference is to use the matte black Brownell's Aluma-Hyde epoxy paint. I like the look of the textured matte finish much more and, it can be touched up at any point. The only problem that I find with the Aluma-Hyde is that it has a long curing time. After it fully cures, I also lightly lightly spray the clamping areas with a dry PTFE film so that the epoxy is less likely to "lift off" after long periods of having been clamped to an accessory.
    j.

4. Kronos

Excellent answer and info for the uninformed when it comes to differences.

Out of curiosity, have you thought about offering custom color anodizing? If you're sending it out, as opposed to in-house, i understand how cost would effect this decision.

And agreed on a matte black. Looks much better, not as reflective, and fingerprints wont make it a smeary ugly mess.

5. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

Our anodizer specializes in black and clear only. They don't offer colors. Also, we would have to produce a heck of alot of rails in order to keep the pricing low enough to cover an assortment of colors. As it is, the black anodize costs us a MINIMUM of $2.00 per piece. Our shrouds consist of 3 pcs each, which equates to $6.00 per shroud. The shrouds cannot be assembled prior to anodize because of the sulfuric acid etching needed, which would damage each shroud assembly and weaken them. Thankfully there are things like Krylon for the bold colors...which actually works well when given enough time to properly cure. Regarding in-house anodizing....we are in NJ and would have the DEP and the EPA to contend with. I really rather leave the chemical process to the plating companies. We try to stick to what we are good at, which is why we pay somebody else to do our anodizing.

6. Kronos

I figured there was a "pricing plan". There usually is when outsourcing. Don't ever do ano in house. The chems are a PITA to dispose of due to regulations.

Again a suggestion if i may...offer some painting tips, or instructionable videos, on your site. Aluminum can be tricky to paint sometimes. It would give you even more "customer service / help" credibility.

Have you thought about powder coating for parts that aren't tolerance dependent when it comes to dimensions / measurements? Easier to do compared to ano, without the regulations regarding material disposal. Something you could do in house and not outsource, meaning more profitability and less dependence on someone else. Maybe stuff like trigger, trigger guards, cocking handle, things like that. Plus it's just as durable, easy for colors,and looks just as good as ano, when done right.

This is your company and I'm not trying to tell you how to run things. Just trying to offer some suggestions having quite a bit of customer relation experience myself. Keeping a new company going is just as hard as getting one off the ground. I wish you the best of luck. Thank you for being one of the few people offering aftermarket parts for our firearms. With so few companies / people with offerings, this helps to increase chances of success. I think i speak for the entire community when i say we appreciate it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
  7. LongShotMfg

LongShotMfg Sponsor

We want to do a few "How to" videos, but they would primarily be for installations of rails. I am not a good enough painter of this type of process to do instructional videos on it. The other part of the problem is that our mfg volume of HP accessories is still too low to be able to justify buying the equipment to do powder coating. Additionally, the low volume of parts we produce cannot get us good pricing for the outsourcing of powdercoating. Fortunately, there is at least the option to offer the Aluma-Hyde. I am starting to think that we should be limiting the number of choices between finishes that we can offer versus the number of finishes that our potential customers keep asking for. It truly is impossible to please everyone, but we try to do the best job that we can. Thank you for your input. All feedback and input, whether positive or negative, is very much appreciated.
    j.

8. Kronos

Thats why i would only offer a few basic colors. Like white, black, red, blue, gray and maybe two greens (a bright "zombie" green and an olive drab). Too many colors mean overhead, which isnt good.

A cheap starting setup for powder coating can be had for $150-$200. Eastwood hotcoat kit for example. An old, or cheap, toaster oven can be used to cure the coat. A small setup like this was used to powdercoat some parts for a bass guitar i rebuilt a few years ago and its still holding up strong. Plus, its the only bass i've seen with a metallic blue bridge. If a compressor is needed, a small unit that would suffice can be had for $100 or less. Even cheaper if procured from a pawn shop. Start with Harbor Freight if you arent familiar with them.

Maybe offer just the service for customers existing parts, as opposed to new parts, ie; Joe doesnt need a new trigger guard. So he sends you his trigger guard to be coated. Again, less overhead to worry about because thats just a service, not a part. If you dont want to, i may do it. Im working on a custom part myself i may market (dont worry, no competition from me. Its comepletely different from your offerings). Ive been wanting a reason to get my own powder coating setup. So heres your chance to beat me to it. ;)

As for "help" videos...if you're in MI, I'd offer assistance in recording and editing. Ive got some great camera gear i purchased for storm chasin that doesnt get used much since I've moved back here. Heck, if you're in IL, IN, or OH i might be willing to help. I dont really expect any compensation other than maybe some help with gas or a set of rails.

Ps...if you are interested in outsourcing a powdercoating service instead of doing it in house, send me a message and ill give you a suggestion on some places to contact without worrying about huge volume pricing. Thats how i got my guitar parts coated. The bridge and the 4 machine heads for less than $15. I couldve easily bought new bridges, had the place coat them and sell them for a hefty profit. I didnt though, and didnt tell anybody who/where did it because i wanted a 1 of a kind. Being the parts were originally chrome plated, not something just easily "sprayed", similar to bare Al. Idea alert! Oooooo....black chrome parts on a Hi Point would look hot!

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014