Black Stain on an AK??? UPDATED W/ Pictures

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by MTguy, Apr 10, 2008.

1. MTguy

MTguy Member

Has anyone tried or seen an AK refinished with a black stain? I was thinking of trying a RIT dye technique in black on my new WASR.

I have never refinished a laminate stock and didn't know if the glue would stick out like a sore thumb? What do you guys think?

2. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Nope, glue won't have much to do with it. I'm assuming you got the RIT dye idea from my other thread, so I won't post those pics again.

The black should work just as well as the other colors. I say go for it. If it doesn't work, just bleach it, and try something else.

3. z71silverado98

z71silverado98 Member

uraijit did it and it looked great, seems the links to his pics are broken or i'd link to it.

4. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

5. MTguy

MTguy Member

Uraijit,

The pictures almost give it a green and blue tint. Is it just the way the lighting is? The pictures of the whole AK look black from a distance, which I think rocks.

6. I like the red look. I'm going to try and pick up an AK at a gun show this morning. I've seen the black composit stocks and I like that redwood so much better.

7. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

Green and blue tint? HAHA! :lol:

The wood looks like it does in the closeups. It's just a problem with poor lighting from the pictures of the whole gun...

8. MTguy

MTguy Member

Well, I started the project and instantly realized I didn't like totally black.

Sooooo.... I sanded it down and went with a really dark black and brown. I'm letting it dry overnight and may put another coat (4th) of satin poly on it tomorrow and let it dry again. I'll post pics when it is back together.

9. MTguy

MTguy Member

Before:
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG][​IMG]