Blackout America

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by Kosh4095, May 24, 2014.

1. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    Hi Kosh!
    What are you doing about this possible blackout?

2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

As a electrical worker who has worked a myriad of storms, i can tell you without reading the article, that people will get real stupid real fast.

3. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

i'm putting my dogs in a running wheel mounted on a generator. i hope they can run faster enough to keep my beer cold.

4. Gonna use it for all its worth / my wife watched it with me last night ,wife just said
    "Are you sure you don't need to get more ammo" . :D darn the luck
    I love my wife so much I am gonna pick up somemore 7.62x51

and give the generators a good run ( put a good load on them ) and refueling

Last edited: May 24, 2014
  5. undeRGRound

INDY

Sounds Good!
    A gas generator prolly gets best efficiency at full load, not sure how a diesel acts with varying loads. The point of that is, having a battery bank and inverters will allow you to get the most out of the fuel.

We have 1 gas and 1 diesel...

6. Not2ManyGuns

Not2ManyGuns Member

Gosh, one of my hobbies is amateur astronomy. No light pollution; I'll be able to see the stars again.;)

I know, I know, I'll have to have my 995TS with me too, so no one steals my telescopes.:rolleyes:

7. That was one of my 1st thoughts. I wouldn't really call it a hobby, but have spent many hours doing it years ago.

I don't know about someone wanting to steal your telescopes. Everyone might be so amazed & happy by being able to see the night sky that they'll have few evil thoughts.

8. undeRGRound

INDY

Keep telling yourself that, Pollyanna, errrm, Perotter! ;)

9. That movie is a propaganda piece to convince the people that we need keep a big government. So we might as well make light of it.

On just a couple of thing like no water and no diesel fuel for generators. In much of the US the city water supply has backup power supplies that use natural gas. As for diesel fuel for generators, trucks, etc there is at least a 2.5 weeks supply of it for the normal amount that is used.

About the only thing realistic in it was Obama's response:
    1. I've talked to some people about this problem.
    2. We're doing everything possible to fix this problem.
    3. It isn't my fault that I can't handle this problem and someone else will have to solve it.

http://www.eia.gov/petroleum/supply/weekly/pdf/table6.pdf

Last edited: May 25, 2014
  10. if power was out of any extended amount of time, running a generator will attract people like moths to a flame.

11. undeRGRound

INDY

True Dat!

I have an additional external exhaust system for both/either. But I need to assemble it as well.

12. Rerun

Rerun Member

Only after a few days?

Following hurricane Ike, Houston had sections out of power for more than 21 days.

No panic in the streets, no mobs terrorizing their communities, none of the hype shown on the video.

I and my neighbors were powerless for more than 17 days. And we pulled together and made sure that everyone had their food and water.

The tough things were medications. Several folk who were diabetic and using insulin ran low and resorted to taking smaller doses...

eldar

13. geekandwife

geekandwife Good ole Boy Member

And do you think a fuel change makes a big difference? Fuel still runs out, and backup generators are rarely tested running at full load for full time at days at a time, much less 2 and a half weeks. Our electrical network in this country is at huge risk in this country and people would panic. Just look at the natural disasters that have happened to show its not just propaganda.

14. with 287 murders and 823 rapes and 11.367burglaries and 959arsons in 2009
    it was prob.... situation normal for Huston?

15. YES Zombies/ look at the mess when the public aid food cards were down
    one day. if the power were to go out for 10days Nation wide it would be shtf in some area's Hell one ice storm in atlanta jamed roads all day sad but people are stupid !

16. undeRGRound

INDY

The worst part of that is, even knowing how to drive on it does not help!
    The other 99% that do not will still get you gridlocked :(

17. Rerun

Rerun Member

Yes, exactly!

When you have 4+ million people living within a County like Harris, things like that happen.

On a YEARLY basis.

eldar

PS Harris County juries have sent more folk to the Death Chamber than all the other Counties in Texas.

18. I have always heard that the average household has three days of food. Lots of people I know don't have one meal worth of food, probably a rotten egg and a few catsup packets. And of course lots of people such as myself have enough food to feed the family for 2 or 3 months anyway. And about everyone relies on debit and credit cards for purchases. Who uses cash nowdays?

I live in an outlying area, not wall to wall houses but not totally rural. I can't imagine how bad it would get in large cities where people are packed in like sardines.