blasted insomnia

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by lklawson, Jun 11, 2014.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

<sigh>

Trying to be effective and competent at work tomorrow is gonna suck.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    LOL!
    Or you could get up at this time every day like me (when I'm working)
    and just get going. I'm gonna be a real case when I get old and the
    melatonin production drops off ;) I had a stretch when I was between
    jobs and I was working on my energy experiments, and I only slept 2 to 4
    hours per night. No problems whatsoever, the work energized me!

Now I know what Tesla meant...

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

You realize that he died broke and crazy, right? ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

Thats funny, you could take ambien and zzzquil like me. works most of the time.

5. <---- Another insomniac. My mom and grandmother were, too. Is it hereditary?

I know that mine is pain induced from arthritis. It's very hard to sleep when every position you lay in makes some part of you hurt. I don't like taking the pain meds because it's like waking up with a hangover, being groggy all day, and extremely stiff because of not moving all night. But, the alternative is being tired all the time from no sleep.

6. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

for me, I have sleep apnea and that contraption makes it very hard to fall asleep

7. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

The Navy taught me to fall asleep wherever I was ~ During replenishment at Sea, I could lay down atop crates of Rockeyes or Phoenix's and drop off right to sleep.

Still can today.

It's a simple case of Mind over Matter - you don't mind and it don't matter!

eldar

8. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

I very rarely take a Melatonin but when I do it knocks me out for the night.
    Groggy morning though .

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I think it's a combination of things. But probably most of it is OTC allergy meds.

Second night in a row, though. :(

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Someone recommended that to me when I was trying to sleep after night shift work... If you don't sleep for at least 8 hours, you are definitely groggy as heck.

11. Oh? Usually anti-histamines have a sedative effect. They give Benadryl as a sleeping pill to people with "pill" addictions, sometimes.

12. papataylor

papataylor Member

What are you currently taking?

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

13. bluebone

bluebone Duke of Sarcasm Member

Yeah me too. But now my wife won't let me go to bed without it cuz I snore without it and that wakes her up. I can't win.

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Claritin sometimes and, usually, Pseudoephedrine. Last night it was Mucinex and Pseudoephedrine.

I'm betting that it's the latter that's doing it to me. As an ephedra-similar chemical, it usually has a slight stimulant effect on me. The vast majority of the time I take a single psuedophed tablet just before bed and I sleep through the night and wake up with just enough of the stimulant left in my system to not make it hard to drag my sorry butt out of bed at 5:00.

I expected the Mucinex (Guaifenesin) would have had a slight counteracting affect upon the psuedophed but I guess not. It also didn't seem to dampen my coughing that much either. I had a hard time quieting my mind and when I did manage to doze off, it was a shallow sleep and coughing or any little noise would wake me up.

My preferred OTC mix is psuedophed and chlor-trimeton, but the chlor usually leaves me so groggy that I don't like to take it and it does nothing for coughing. I guess I'm going to go back to that tonight. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. papataylor

papataylor Member

Are you wanting to stay OTC or would you be willing to try a prescription?

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

16. Guaifenesin is an expectorant. That will make you cough up phlegm. The opposite of a cough suppressant. Yeah, pseudoephedrine will keep you up. Find the yellow allergy pills. They make you sleepy. LOL, I remember when we were going to lamaze classes I had an bad allergy attack and took a couple of those. I fell asleep during the he-he-he-haa's. Generally I don't like to take much OTC stuff.

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I don't have time for a 'scrip right now. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

I've had insomnia for about the past 10 years. If I don't take medications for it I'll stay awake all night. I currently take 3mg of Melatonin and half of a 45mg Remeron when I go to bed. On nights when my back pain is at it's worst I also take a 4mg Zanaflex (muscle relaxer). Most nights I'm asleep within an hour, but occasionally it will still take up to 2-3 hours before I fall asleep. If Melatonin doesn't agree with your system, another thing you could try that's natural and over the counter is Valerian Root. At one time when my insomnia was worse than it is now I took all three Melatonin, Valerian Root and Remeron, but have since been able to sleep reasonably well most nights with only the Melatonin and Remeron.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I bought the two-tone pills that are supposed to combine both an expectorant and a cough suppressant. I wasn't impressed, particularly for the high price.

Yeah, the yellow pills are the brand name Chlor-Trimeton (Chlorpheniramine Maleate), or just "chlor-tabs" to me because I buy the generic.

Half a pill during the day and no more than one at night unless I'm really bad off.

The Sudafed will open up my sinuses and let me breath, the chlor-tabs will dry up my drainage but neither will do much for cough.

Luckily for me, my allergies are (shockingly) comparatively minor thus far.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

20. Sudafed is also hell on blood pressure, friend. Be careful.