Blown up 4595ts

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by 4595tsguy, Oct 25, 2014.

1. Yes, mom will repair it for sure

24 vote(s)
    88.9%
  2. I think mom will repair it

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  3. Good luck with that one

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. 4595tsguy

4595tsguy Member

Sorry for wasting your time.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  2. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Guns just don't blow up for no reason..... Barrels rupture because of obstructions. Your previous round had to be stuck in the barrel.

3. This looks to have been caused by a squib round.
    Even the best ammo has a reject every now and then.
    Glad you walked away with no lasting injuries.
    I would get the ammo information(lot #) and contact the company.
    Show them your gun along with boxes of the ammo used.
    You may get some free ammo from them for your troubles.
    Good luck with your repairs.

4. Definitely a barrel obstruction, if a gun blew up because of bad construction it would likely be the receiver or the bolt, barrels don't just fail like that.

The brand of ammo you were using is irrelevant, ALL ammo can fail, ALL ammo manufacturers can have this problem.

I'd bet serious money that this was a squib.

Nobody here denies that HPs can fail, ANY gun can have a catastrophic failure, Glocks, Smiths, semis, revolvers, bolt guns, ARs, AKs, I've seen evidence of damn near every gun you can imagine having a catastrophic failure, it's the risk you take when you get in to shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

5. Bull

I agree 100%..... All guns can have a catastrophic failure.... But I'm with you, the only way the end of your barrel explodes, is an obstruction..

6. panoz77

panoz77 Member

7. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Thanks for posting that.
    What ammo where you using?
    Agree with the others, contact the ammo manufacturer also.
    In the last year we've had several out of battery detonations here on the forum but no barrel failures.

8. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Total obstruction only way it could happen.

9. 4595tsguy

4595tsguy Member

First of all I'm sorry for wasting anyone's time who has commented, but I do have a question. I recently received a new firing Pin with Springs from hi point and was told to install the new Springs and not reuse the old. Upon inspection, the larger of the two Springs seemed longer on the new Springs. I figured mom knows best so I used them. This was the first time using these Springs. Is there any way that this could have contributed to the "squib"?

10. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Squib_load

11. panoz77

panoz77 Member

Not sure why your removed your original post :confused:

Did you notice a change in sound, recoil on the round before it happened? Was there any unusual smoke from the action? Were you rapid firing? This kind of thing, just doesn't "happen" without a cause.

12. 4595tsguy

4595tsguy Member

Also, do you think mom will say it was my fault and not help me out?

13. Visper

Visper AK = Automatic Killer!?! Supporting Member

I can't see Mom not fixing it. I have never had to send anything back yet (knock on wood), but everything I have ever read has been positive. Mom will fix it.

Just thankfully you are ok and didn't get hurt, that is the most important part here. Guns can be replaced...

14. 4595tsguy

4595tsguy Member

No change in sound or recoil. Only a little smoke, but no different than any other time I've shot it. And as far as removing my post, it did it because I'm a little ashamed that I posted without thinking first. Absolutely not rapid firing, never have rapid fired anything besides my xd-m.

15. panoz77

panoz77 Member

It will come back like new, you can mail your long gun via USPS priority mail, might cost you $15 max, plus you'll probably get a spare mag to make up for your shipping back to MOM.

16. Bull

Don't sweat it..... We're just trying to keep it from happening to you again... And mom's warrantee is almost 100% blame free, she'll come back good as new!

17. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Nope.
    Squib loads is always ammo.
    Most squib load vids on YouTube show only the primer going off but this guy has a vid where he is intentionally looking for a squib load which does cycle the action. So it is a partial power load.

http://youtu.be/DCeN5Mx-Q7E

I guess it can also happen with contaminated ammo. Moisture or oil seeping into the cartridge.

* I urge you to put your original post back up *
    We may be HiPoint aficionados but we're not extremists that will lob your head off for having a squib load.

18. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    Nothing to be ashamed of. A lot of posts are made without thinking. Not me of course, [​IMG] but many others have.

19. 4595tsguy

4595tsguy Member

OK, my original post stated that my barrel blew up today when I was at the range. It has already seen 1000+ loads with no failures. Today on my 19th shot (2 mags plus first round out of the 3rd) the barrel blew out. I now understand it must have had an obstruction, causing the second round to burst the barrel. I was glanced by a small piece of shrapnel in my right hand and the front sight base exploded hitting me in the safety glasses right dead center of my eye. I was using new match grade ammo that I had purchased roughly two weeks ago for use in sighting in my new red dot. I didn't intentionally start this thread to bash hipoint in any way. In these tough economic times, I can't really justify replacing a firearm instead of rent or other bills. I'm really hoping mom comes through for me on this one. If they do, they will definitely have a customer for life.

20. Bull

You won't have to worry..... It'll be taken care of.