Boar Snake used for 9mm cabine

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Carbines' started by Sergio Llamas, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Sergio Llamas

Sergio Llamas New Member

Is there a certain boar snake you use? or is the 9mm pistol snake good enough

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

ND
    Use it its fine

3. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I get the 9mm long bore snakes on ebay. I can get 3 or 4 of them shipped for the price of one here in the US. Same snakes it appears to me.

4. deathbydanish

deathbydanish Well-Known Member

Yup, that's usually what I use.

5. sarahsmom

sarahsmom Supporting Member

Boar snake - is that the same as a hog snake?

SDProf likes this.
  6. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Nope! Boar has different plumbing.

sarahsmom likes this.
  7. S8MS-01904

S8MS-01904 Member

Yes, best and easiest way to keep them clean.

8. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

I don't do snakes. Seems like more unnecessary cleaning expense. Cheap cleaning kits are how I've always done it. If careful you won't hurt the muzzle.

But. Maybe another reason to go cheap, but maybe not. I shoot a lot of non-gas checked lead. I do push them hard, and sometimes have messes to scrub out of barrels. Messes so stubborn it might kill a brush getting it all. I've done the soak a day, scrub a day, then soak some more days a few times. Does anyone have bore snake experience with heavy leaded bores? I think I've read the snakes do a better job. Maybe I remember snakes made specifically for cleaning lead?

moona11 likes this.
  9. moona11

ND
    God your old and cheap. Ajole got me using these a few years ago. Snip a few strands and wrap around the bore brush attach to a drill and slowly go down a bore. takes copper and lead out like a charm. they are cheap and last a long time takes rust of of guns with out removing bluing. I have bought 4 and I'm still on the 2nd one.
    https://www.big45metalcleaner.com/Order/cart.asp

Attached Files:

10. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Why not use some brass or copper wool?

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

11. moona11

ND
    The one I posted will not leave a film like the brass or copper will. It also will not harm the barrel or finnish

12. duster066

I don't like the idea of forcing the lead out. Since wheel weights disappeared around here I don't have any problems like my WW cast bullets would sometimes cause. I am old school about it. Soaking works with time. Lol And forcing will force the steel to, it can't help but do so. Granted the changes are minor, but with time... Bore snakes are 9 to 15 bucks each. Brushes are a few bucks. I have wrapped a brush or a patch in 0000 steel wool, it does force the lead out. But I hate the feeling of shoving it through a bore. Soaking works.

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Huh? Copper and brass are softer than steel.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

14. duster066

That don't matter. It's abrasive, and introduces stresses, when forced hard enough to actually remove stubborn lead. At the microscopic level you are moving steel, particularly at stress concentration points like rifling land edges. I'm anal about metal. Racing and airplanes go bananas over it. I'd rather let it soak and fall out than force it with metal.