BOB "dry run" (with pics!)

Discussion in 'Survival Zone' started by Branth, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Branth

Branth Member

I've been thinking about testing out my BOB on a weekend camping trip. I'd probably pack some freeze-dried meals instead of my Mainstay bars, just 'cause they're expensive and not that tasty (though I have subbed them in for a couple of meals before), but other than that, I plan on only using what's in my BOB - I'll strap on my sleeping bag to my BOB, bike around 5 or 6 miles from my house to the campsite, set up, have dinner, and then spend the night. Possibly breakfast the next day before heading home.

I've already discovered that I need to add a small can of insect repellent and a few more safety pins to my FAK, and have improvised a few solutions to problems I didn't know I had, and revised the setup of my basic survival shelter.

It looks like my shelter will do pretty well against rain and wind, assuming I set it up so that the right side of it is uphill, but I'm concerned about bugs. I don't know how persistent they are, but there's space between the edge of the tarp and the grass for a determined one or two to get inside, and my mosquito net has some gaps around the edge they could find their way through. Does anyone have any suggestions that I could implement for this?

Here's some pics of my shelter. I've got a pretty cool penny-stove-based cook kit, too, and I'll get some pics of that up later, if anyone's interested.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  2. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    Ouch. Poor Bob.

3. Branth

Branth Member

You have firsthand experience? :p

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Bugs will get into nearly any shelter you have, including nice tents.

I have a floorless tent, it's nice weight wise, but my solution was a mosquito net unit that just covered the top of my bag, around my head.

Mine isn't made anymore AFAIK, but here's one. These guys sell name brand tents at good prices, check the Spitfire tent.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___85367

As good and light as tents are these days, it's really hard to pass up a nice bivy sack or solo tent.

This one is bright yellow, but cheaper than some bug bivy units.

http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Solitaire-Tent-sleeps-1/dp/B000EQCVNY/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZCEPCPCDW878J436Z6J

5. cicpup

cicpup Resident PITA Supporting Member

Vermont
    No, I was just a spectator.

6. Branth

Branth Member

I really like the look of that solo tent. It seems like every other one I saw was in the thousand-dollar range, so I kinda wrote those off as too expensive.

7. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    There's a ton of them in the $100-$150 range. Check the Campmor site.

Search for Zephyr, Amari Pass, or Stormbreak model tents too, online, someone will be selling them in that range.

8. Branth

Branth Member

Do you have any experience with bivy bags? Any inexpensive brands you might recommend?

9. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Bivy bags are problematic. Because they are usually in contact with you, they really MUST be waterproof, or you end up wet, even on dry days, just from dew. You can use a tarp...but then why not a tent?

So, in a bivy bag, you kind of need to go a little higher end, and spend more.

Also, the bivy bags give you no where to put gear out of the rain.

But, they are small, light, easy to pack fast, easy to locate in a hidden spot a tent won't fit into, and if that's the goal, they can be a good answer. And they add some heat rating to your gear, giving you 5-10 degrees more protection.

Kelty makes on that you could use under your shelter, about $80-$90.

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___29197?compare=true&categoryId=200368487

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014