Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Put some thought into then I decided to spend a little money to have a small footprint carbine and easily concealable pistol.

Went with the Kel-Tec Sub2k Carbine (40SW) and Glock 27(40SW). The both use the same ammo and 15rd mags except for the small 9rd mag that comes with the Glock. The Sub2k folds and fits nicely into rather harmless containers or false bottom and could even be concealed under a large shirt/jacket with a tac sling. The Glock hides so well inside my SmartCarry holster it would be missed by anything but a through pat down and even then may go undetected. Would hate to leave my more serious stuff behind but if it came down to getting though check points to my BOL and stash so be it.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Handy weapon and logical no doubt at all.

Depends on your needs which are going to be different than envisioned no matter how much thought you invest. I see the greatest danger as not having the flexibility to adapt. Most hunting is done between 100 and 25 yards due to foliage hence the carbine which will take all but perhaps birds in flight. Most self defense at less than 10 yards hence the pistol but the carbine may also be employed. I just see the carbine/pistol as increased flexibility during the critical time we are reacting to the unexpected in particular the authorities reactions. Against multiple human threats which are the most likely type the single shot leaves you under gunned IMHO but it would be preferable to no weapon or pistol only. Getting to the BoL and stores is the ideal, failing that can I adapt? There is the rub.

·
Premium Member
2,421 Posts
My trunk gun (I'm not in a situation to travel without a vehicle) is generally an AK or an AR. However, I have a stupid constraint most of the country doesn't: I travel to CA several times a year. Not only is the state too criminal to recognize my CHL they also have weird and ludicrous gun laws. No pistol grip rifles with detachable magazine, and no magazines greater than 10 rounds are a couple.

My Saiga .308 in as it was configured by the factory with the stock magazine is legal there--and it's a great rifle, but I hate leaving larger capacity mags behind.
I hate that situation, but those of you that must travel in restrictive states know about tailoring your needs for their ridiculous laws.

Anyone got any 10 round max Saiga .308 mags for sale???

·
Premium Member
10,385 Posts
I have a 4095 (for now) and a pt140 mp. Really wanna get my hands on an sks or something and maybe a little smaller of a pistol. Since I'm not in an urban environment and have running water on my property and a garden I should be ok on food. We even have gas tanks for the farm equipment. Should be self sufficient and never have to leave. Still need to protect my family though.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
I always have my S&W .44 Magnum in the truck and, if I bug out, I will be in the truck.

I'm also bringing my 9mm S&W Sigma, my 9mm HP Carbine, my JC Higgins .22 LR and my 12 ga Benelli Nova. Little bit of everything. I keep ammo for all of them in one ammo can, so I can toss the guns and the can in the back of my truck and hammer down.

·
Premium Member
1,225 Posts
I don't really have a bug out gun. Because I would not bug out most likely. The closest city to me is Syracuse an hour away, and the closest large city in NYC about 3.5 hours away.

I am nestled right next to lots of farm land, and about 40k acres of state land. That being said though. If I had to chose just one weapon I would pick my .22 LR. If I could have two though I would go for the .22 and my 995 (great for personal defense and a little easier on large game)

Realistically though. I would like to keep all my firearms with me, and although I can't now, I would like to be able to reload my own shotgun shells.

·
Registered
118 Posts
u guy r getting me 2 really think about me and my fam if shtf for real im going 2 start getting some things now cause its going to happen and i need 2 be ready

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A BoB has more uses than bugging out. During the aftermath of Katrina I kept one in the truck with me so I had critical supplies and tools should I run across a situation. We learned some very valuable lessons;

The authorities are more of a threat than BGs. They violated every rule in the book including entering occupied residences without warrants and confiscated weapons. Guess how they knew who had them. They arrested anyone who resisted to the point of threat of deadly force. These were national Guard Troops, LEOs, and Regular Military so forget any great number of these guys refusing unlawful orders, sheeple wear camo also. People are still trying to get the weapons back even after a court order condemning the action. The only way to avoid problems with these guys is blend and appear harmless. Force is not a valid option it is no win.

BGs will not go near armed citizens. It was only after the confiscation that looting in occupied areas became a dire issue requiring more troops to patrol the area. Almost seems they work together doesn't it.

The authorities WILL panic and do incredibly stupid things. We the Sheeple elected these useless empty suits to give them more of whatever it is they feel the government should give them. Not to act wisely in the face of disaster.

And last but most importantly You are on your own.

·
Powered by air
926 Posts
When I first heard about the Katrina situation I thought, "Total BS! Not in America".

Then I watched some videos on YouTube. Once video had four or so LE going door to door and asking citizens if they had firearms. Specifically one elderly lady came to the door, answered, "yes". They asked her what kind of weapon it was. IIRC, she had a small revolver or derringer. They then demanded she bring the weapon to the door. After serious intimidation the old lady closed her screen door and re-appeared. She never once pointed the weapon or used it menacingly. In fact, she kept it palmed. At that point the LE demanded the gun. She refused and attempted to retreat into her home. They then corned her, one punched her in the face while the rest tackled her. They then took her weapon and left without leaving a trace of documentation behind.

I know its cliched to death, but welcome to Amerika! That's some really scary shat because its not that far off from what happened in Germany. To date, I've not heard of a single LEO or soldier being placed in jail or any other fall out. We are all just ignoring that the supreme law of the land was violated with absolutely no repercussions - aside from a new state law in LA which explicitly outlaws their actions. I guess we're suppose to ignore the fact that it was already federally illegal - especially since federal troops were also used.

Even more odd, finding press coverage of the federal violations by federal and state troops is actually pretty hard to come by. I think that is equally, if not more so disturbing as it suggests we're no longer protected by the First Amendment either.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Man thats just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to the outrageous behavior of our servants during Katrina. Now you see why I stress invisibility over even functionality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well if it was me I would go with a at-14 semi auto 410 that looks like an ar15 and probley something like a xd or 24/7 in .40. The good thing about that shotgun is that it is semiauto and you can use slugs or bird shot so you can hunt a range of animals.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
I have the exact same setup in 9mm with a Sub2K and a Beretta 92. In the process of adding the folding scope mount 'cause the sights suck. Have the mount, just need to pick a scope. It can easily go into a soft-sided laptop briefcase or one of those Maxpedition bug out shoulder bags. I think for the weight of the gun, mags, and rounds that it's an excellent choice. I imagine the HPFF crowd is sick me harping on it by now.

-'bridge

PS On the topic of confiscations, I have a couple of fugly guns with no real use other than they'll be the ones I tearfully give up to the grabbers while my stash stays stashed.

PPS Check out this out from SWAT magazine: "We will NOT obey any order to disarm the American people." www.oath-keepers.blogspot.com

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the exact same setup in 9mm with a Sub2K and a Beretta 92. In the process of adding the folding scope mount 'cause the sights suck. Have the mount, just need to pick a scope. It can easily go into a soft-sided laptop briefcase or one of those Maxpedition bug out shoulder bags. I think for the weight of the gun, mags, and rounds that it's an excellent choice. I imagine the HPFF crowd is sick me harping on it by now.

-'bridge

PS On the topic of confiscations, I have a couple of fugly guns with no real use other than they'll be the ones I tearfully give up to the grabbers while my stash stays stashed.

PPS Check out this out from SWAT magazine: "We will NOT obey any order to disarm the American people." www.oath-keepers.blogspot.com
The HP front sight can replace that crappy front sight on the sub2k. You will have to do a bit of grinding and lengthen the sight adjustment slot to run it higher but that HP sight is tough as nails. Bought one off a gunsmith for a couple of bucks but sure HP will sell one. Works perfect and even latches without modification. Now if I can find a better front sight.

As for the fugly guns...you do know they have access to those blasted forms you filled out when you bought the good ones right? Doubt if they worry about breaking the law.

Yes I know OK extremely well and support the concept and let every LEO I meet know about it but never count on the empty suits not rounding up enough slaves to do the dirty work. Look in Wiki under ATF and Blackwater. See also Ruby Ridge and Waco.

·
Registered
671 Posts

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
I keep a bat up winchester model 94 30-30 in my truck at all time as my get home gun along with plenty of ammo. This combined with my RIA 1911 that is ALWAYS with me, I feel is a real good setup. Accurate, reliable, sufficient fire power to get the job done, but not real intimidating to the innocents you may meet on the way. I feel that if I walked into a farmstead on my trek home with my backpack and a leveraction rifle, I have a better chance of getting my canteens filled, maybe lodging, or whatever, than if I walk in with a military tacticool rifle decked out looking like I am looking for a fight. First impressions mean a lot.........

·
Registered
799 Posts
Thats why I like the Mini-14 it just doesnt look as scary as other hicap autoloaders

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a soldier I am deeply disturbed by what happened their. But as I was not in the military at the time I hope noone holds it against me. I hate people that join the military because they think they are bad [email protected]%. I personally joined because I thought I could help people. Well that and doing security with no benefits is not good when supporting a wife and 2 kids....

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
As a soldier I am deeply disturbed by what happened their. But as I was not in the military at the time I hope noone holds it against me. I hate people that join the military because they think they are bad [email protected]%. I personally joined because I thought I could help people. Well that and doing security with no benefits is not good when supporting a wife and 2 kids....
Just the opposite brother, we are in your debt for your service as you are for ours. Lots of reasons for joining all that matters is what you do with it once you do join and what you learn about yourself and others.

Most peoples anger is always directed at those who dam well should and do know better but are so self absorbed they forget why this country must be different and the debt of service they owe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.