Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about putting together a BOB. I have a 2yo that is still in diapers and an 8yo. What are some "special" itemes I should consider? Amy help and insight is appreciated.

Thanks
Adam

·
Registered
799 Posts
My advise .......Bug In. I still have a BOB but My focus went more to a solid GHB when I got with my wife ( she has 2 girls 8 and 10) and then my son was born hes a little over 2 weeks now. So in my opinion untill EVERYONE can participate in the run for the hills its best to prepare for a scenerio where you will be staying put. That said If you gotta bug out you will need to add some things to your FAK for the kiddo's mainly childrens tylenol everything you can cut down pretty easily IF you know what your doing if not build a kiddy FAK. Lots of water kids dehydrate quick you are going to need atleast a gollon per person per day. Try taking everyone camping its a good drill to run it will tell you more about what you will need the most without being in a SHTF situation

·
Premium Member
806 Posts
Bugging in is always an option when you have kids.
However, not all situations allow you to stay in your home.
For a BOB I would also look into getting one of those front-side baby carriers. You will need to carry the 2 yr old so keep your BOB light to offset the carry-weight.
Keep some energy bars for food, something to drink for each of you, space blankets for each of you, several ways to make a fire, a FAK with kids meds.
That takes care of the basics but I personally would add some cash, a sharp knife or multi-tool & maybe a deck of cards.

Your 8 yr old should have his own bag to carry & this could contain the 2 yr olds diapers & wipes as well as a few other items like food & drink & a space blanket. Even a favorite toy or comfort item for the kids. Keep it light though so he doesn't have too much to carry.

Bugging in is nice but when your house is falling down around you or on fire, wouldn't it be nice to have a bag to grab & get out with enough to keep you alive for a day or two till things get sorted out??

·
Premium Member
1,363 Posts
I struggle with solutions to the same problem; I have a 2 1/2 year old boyt and a 4 month old girl. I had a great moment with my boy the other day. I was stuffing some pants into one of my BOBs and he asked what I was doing. So I took the opportunity to go through my whole bag with him and show him what things were. He loved it, especially the compass which I showed him would lead us home (he thought it was a "tick-tock").

The result of our little BOB bonding session was that he wanted one of his own. So I got his backpack out and we stocked it with some extra clothes and pull-ups. We put in some of his little toys for comfort items. We have little travel bottles so he can have water bottles like daddy. I'll be getting him a compass for his birthday, he's got his own tool set, and he's actually pretty good on my harmonica so I'll put one in there for him. Now, whenever we're heading somewhere, he likes his backpack to come along too.

Start 'em young!

-'bridge
PS (Those chest carriers for the little ones are invaluable. We take one wherever we go, just in case. It's got enough pockets to be a mini-GHB itself)

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Execellent post Stone!!!!

Remember, small children need comfort items to keep them occupied and feeling safe in environments they are not used to. They will require lots of fluids in the summer to stay hydrated and high energy food/snack items to keep their little body going. You also need a good Medicine Kit stocked with childrens meds, especially anti-diahrrea's because diahrrea can kill an infant/toddler in 24-36 hrs due to dehydration.

Bugging our with small children should be your last option, but as we all know buggin out may be your only option at surviving a SHTF situation. Good luck and let us know what you came up with.

·
89 Posts
My wife has lots of skills, some that I taught her, some she had learned by hard knocks before we met, and others that are god given. But, she is physically disabled, so we we will bug-in if SHTF. We stocked up on all manner of emergency suppplies including clothes in a disater cellar. If things get totally FUBAR, we've trained hard on defensive fire strategies and she can get around well in the house in her manual wheel chair and save her power chair for if we have to bug-out.

·
1,792 Posts
BOB, I call it a Diaper bag. We have every thing in it at all times for three solid Days. You know the ones were they Poop through and act like you never feed them.

Yeah good times good times.

We have two. One that Never leaves the car the I am only running to the store and Oh crap aint this wonderfull. And the second for the truck. You have to absativly ( I MADE THAT WORD UP) have to love it when you go to Say WALMART and your little man has crapped his pants with the runny juice and you can barrely keep from spewin. Awsome. And there you are with a crap factory and the bags at the house or in the car.

Point being Your a dang fool if you plan on Going on a cross country Red Dawn event with a child as young as Mine. Bug in is key or the quick evac for Weather or natural disaster is understandable. But honestly prepaire for the EOTWAWKI,,,,,,,

Good luck to that. But for the BOB your wife already named it the diaper bag. Notice it already has everything in it. And if it dont well remember the crap factory always acts like you never feed them when you aint got it.

Try standing outside walmart with the kid leaking crap and you aint got the bag. Yeah, works great. You get to go inside and shop fast or drive you arse all the way home to change. Either way you get a rash and thats NO fun for you or him. and trust me they make you miserable too.......

Diaper bag BABY

·
Premium Member
648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info guys. You had me rollin Thayldt21, that is my life in a nutshell! The reason I ask about a BOB is because we will be moving close to an airport in a couple months. And with everything that happened on the Hudson, it got me thinking that what if it happened in my neighborhood and we need to get the hell out fast. The ideal situation would be bug-in, of course. I would never want to leave my home unless I absolutely had too. I'm just trying to plan ahead. I also want to put together a little GHB too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts