Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This Texas possum was wearing some heavy duty body armor. My girls defeated it. What the heck was he thinking coming into their yard?

20201011_150000.jpg

·
Registered
355 Posts
I've never seen one alive. They're all run over like possums I guess. They don't do well with roads.

Reactions: Merle

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
They don't do well with roads.
That's because when startled their first impulse is to leap straight up in the air to right around bumper level.

Reactions: adam01364

·
Premium Member
21,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hope you wore gloves when you got rid of it to avoid leprosy.
Stlll laying there. TheZombie hounds killed it.

Always like the pictures with them coddling a beer bottle

Reactions: Merle

·
Premium Member
9,231 Posts
I've never seen one alive. They're all run over like possums I guess. They don't do well with roads.
I've seen them alive several times in the swamp. Those things make a ton of racket when they move through the brush. Same with 'possums. And speaking of the latter, my buddy and I were walking a two-track through the swamp area, and we stopped to listen for hogs. Around a bend to our left, we heard something rustling the grass, and when we looked, a 'possum came around, waddling towards us. He kept right on going, walking right in front of us. After he'd passed us by about three feet, he stopped. A second later, he flipped around in a "what the hell???" manner, and then ran off into the woodline. He didn't even realize we were just standing there watching him as he waddled past us. It was pretty funny.

·
Premium Member
21,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My buddy in high school called them bush pigs. He ate them, and coquina chowder when times were bad.

Reactions: Rerun

·
Super Moderator
28,363 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Premium Member
21,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,872 Posts
There's nothing wrong with 'possum. Meat is meat. I haven't tried it, myself, but I can't imagine what would taste bad about it.
Possums are scavengers... When my Dad was a kid, he said they saw a dead horse and the possums had eaten their way INTO the horse carcass, well, thru the "back door".
o_O

If it's properly prepared, its not bad. BUT, if it isn't, it can be really greasy and a bit gamey.
I've also seen possums eating pet food, so it could be about as tasty as dog or cat? :rotfl:

·
Premium Member
9,231 Posts
Possums are scavengers... When my Dad was a kid, he said they saw a dead horse and the possums had eaten their way INTO the horse carcass, well, thru the "back door".
o_O

I've also seen possums eating pet food, so it could be about as tasty as dog or cat? :rotfl:
If you plan to eat one, you probably have to be especially careful about thoroughly cooking it. I suppose that goes for any carnivore, too. They'll eat rotted carcasses, too, if the opportunity is there. Generally, I'll stick to herbivores.

·
Premium Member
9,231 Posts
If it's properly prepared, its not bad. BUT, if it isn't, it can be really greasy and a bit gamey.
I'll bet you have to slow cook it and change the water a few times to get rid of the gaminess. I really would try it if someone cooked some.

·
What the Hell was that?
674 Posts
I'll bet you have to slow cook it and change the water a few times to get rid of the gaminess. I really would try it if someone cooked some.
Mix together your flour, salt, pepper, and thyme. rub the 'possum, both inside and out, with the flour mixture. now lay it on a rack in a roasting pan and pour the water in. cover with a tightly fitting lid or foil, and roast in the oven for 45 minutes, or 1 hour for a big 'possum. Or maybe add a little Cajun seasoning to it instead of Thyme.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts