Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years back, I was perusing online auctions and ran across a Police Department in NC selling off extra "bullet proof vests." I bought six, sold off five, kept one for myself and pocketed a few bucks.

Now I know that used vests might be compromised (I checked for obvious wear/tear or any sign of excessive sweat. Seemed pretty solid) but I figure a used vest with trauma plate is better than nothing. And no, I'm no Gecko45. I don't have teams of assassins tailing me trying to take me down. I do, however, work regularly with individuals who have big guns, small brains, and poor trigger discipline. I've also been peppered with birdshot and taken a 9mm ricochet to the hip. Stuff happens.

Usually when the subject pops up in conversation I hear at least one of the following and many times I've heard it from LEOs:

"It's illegal for you to own body armor."

"You have to be a police officer to buy body armor."

"It's illegal for you to have sold body armor."

"I'd never wear a used vest; they expire after a few years."

"A flak jacket's just as good as soft armor since both will stop pistol rounds and neither will stop rifle rounds."

"If I'm going to get a vest I'm not going to bother with anything under (insert level of protection here)."

"I heard a .22LR/.17HMR/broadhead will go through a standard Kevlar vest because it's so small/fast/sharp."

"If you're going to have body armor, you should get the $5,000 Ultra DefCon-5 Super Secret Delta Force Dragon Skin. My cousin's best friend's girlfriend's ex-fiancée is in Special Forces and he saw a guy take a .50 BMG to the chest and the Dragon Skin stopped it. Didn't even leave a bruise."

OK, the last one's exaggerating a bit but you get the idea, some grains of truth mixed in with BS.

Soooo, does armor fit into your SHTF plans at all? Do you own or have experience with armor? Do you wish you did? Have you heard statements similar to those above?

What is your current understanding of laws concerning body armor where you live?

Do you believe they're a valid SHTF item, more trouble than they're worth, or irrelevant?

What is your understanding of the capabilities and/or limitations of armor?

Sidenote: I was lucky enough to get to view a huge collection of medieval arms and armor last year. On many of the suits of armor there was a little divot or dent at about the sternum. That was the actual 'bullet proof' that warriors would demand as firearms became more prevalent on the battlefield. Pretty cool stuff.

-'bridge

·
Banned
3,722 Posts
I don't think it's illegal to own there's lots of online dealers you buy it from it seems, plus I don't think the PD you got yours from would have put it in an auction if that was the case, but I think the cost of it puts it out of my shtf plans anyway. I can spend the money on food, booze for barter etc. That being said I remember that california bank robbery where the perp just stood in the street and took a licking but kept on ticking so the stuff does work and I can see the value of it if you can afford to fit it in your kit. I found the following on one of said websites concerning used armor:

(1) They have no warranties from the factory they were made.
(2) They carry no insurance policy.
(3) They usually smell from being worn everyday.
(4) They usually do not have the same stopping strength as when they were new. This is caused by moisture and humidity breaking or loosening the ballistic fiber.

#4 would be the one that concerns me, you may have a false sense of security and not have the level of protection you need or think you have?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I've looked into them and plan on buying some soon.You can purchase 10x12 steel plates (front and back) for about 250+ shipping. I've seen them at a few online retailers. The 250+shipping is for plates will withstand up to .308 rounds.I hope to have atleast a front plate for every member in my family.

·
Banned
19,454 Posts
there ARE some states and cities where private ownership of body armor is illegal.

that said, there is a place for them, but they are not a replacement for good tactics and solid cover. to many people think body armor makes them 10 feet tall and bullet proof and act accordingly. dont make that mistake.

SW

·
Registered
799 Posts
I used to own a bullet proof vest i bought at a military surplus here.huess it's
not illegal here.i haven't back since to see what they have.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
i can see the need for body armor, but not the heavy shield stuff. shin/elbow guards, helmets, gloves, and good eye protection should be able to do the job for anything i want to see.

·
Registered
88 Posts
interesting...i saw a news article today and i was going to start a new topic but it fits in nicely here.

http://www.miguelcaballerousa.com/

they make ballistic protection in normal clothes. rumor is oboma was wearing one of their suits whilst strolling down the street during inauguration day.

i couldn't seem to access any details about their products, maybe you have to create an account, but the news report said the pieces are 1k-12k. probably wouldn't fit into most people's shtf plans.

here is a nice chart about the levels of protection as outlined by the NIJ

http://www.miguelcaballerousa.com/index.php/mc-bulletproof-clothing-protection.html

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
It cracks me up that Gecko45 almost has his own Internet meme.

I've seen bullet proof vests and flak jackets for sale at places like Quartermaster Supply. For me, it's fairly low on the survival priority list. If I still lived in Flint, I would have bought one already.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and probably used it. Buddy of mine's dad got shot twice in Flint by a neighbor kid trying to steal his car.

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Flint was/is a rough town.

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And yet nobody tagged Michael Moore. You'd think with the amount of random lead flying and the sheer girth/mass of Moore, sooner or later...

·
Registered
38 Posts
If the SHTF then I plan on doing the Clint Eastwood thing and attaching random pots and pans with metal and other random stuff around the house for my protection.

I mention this cause I dont have the available resources to invest in body armor, but by god my wife has craploads of pots and pans.

But, hey it worked for Clint Eastwood in that movie I think "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" so if it worked for him, it HAS to work for me, right? Cause you know everything you see in the movies is real.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
I think the only movies based on reality are Mel Brooks movies.

Back on topic, would anyone here trust this during the PAW http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MIL2115-1.html

"You know its made by the Germans so it has to be good."
Well it is a flak jacket, it is meant as a deterrent to shrapnel and flying debris. In a situation where explosions are rampant, you are better off with full armor or no armor at all as you would rather have the mobility to run and hide and dodge any major obstructions than to be encumbered with a flak jacket. Of course depending on the weight of the jacket it may not be that much of an encumbrance. I have seen people wear different sorts of body armor before though and that gives them a false hope that they are more protected than in reality they are, dont let that happen to you if wearing armor.

My humble opinion of course.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Real good tests on flak jackets on the box'o truth website. Look in the archives sections. I think he tested twice. One with older vests and one with newer.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have one. I bought it from http://www.copesdistributing.net/ a while back.

Fits nice. It's very comfortable and doesn't limit my motion a bit. It's got 360 degree coverage, including the neck flaps that flip up. I can actually wear my webgear vest on-top of it and maneuver pretty well. You might not like it if your claustrophobic though.

I don't really know what level of protection it provides.

If anybody want's to help split the cost of a replacement I would happily test mine at the range this weekend (maybe next) and create a report, and I'll get lots of pictures.

Might be good to know what this thing can do?

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I have a few sets. I have everything from flak jacket to IBA with Strike III plates.

I would get the best level of protection that you can. Throw it in your BOV adn have it for a rainy day. I will say this a Flak Vest WILLNOT stop a blow dart guy bolt lol lol.. Goes right through and in the body about 1.5-2 inches... Pretty funny to watch though..... I have a old RBA with Strike III plates for my BOB.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts