Bolt 223 left unclean for 3 days after 19 rounds

Discussion in 'Gunsmith shop' started by Browning 9 Guy, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Browning 9 Guy

Browning 9 Guy Premium Supporter Member

I had an emergency at the office (19-hour days) that left me zero time to clean my 223 Savage, fired 3 days ago, 19 rounds. Is the bore going to rust/corrode? Ammo was Prvi Partizan, brass cased, boxer primed. Clean ammo. I know this sounds paranoid but I'm a complete newb on center fire rifles.

Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

2. Dagwood

Dagwood Supporting Member

I think you will be fine. 19 rds wasn't enough to get it dirty. Go shoot another couple hundred thru her and then clean it. I know some people are fanatics about cleaning there guns after every outing, but unless you are shooting dirty surplus ammo, which I know you are not in your .223, I don't see a need unless you have shot a significant amount of rds thru it. imho. Hell, hp suggests you run a bore snake down the barrel after 2 - 500 rds and a thorough cleaning only after 1500 to 2000 rds.

3. rickm

rickm Member

I know people that owns single shot,bolt and pump guns that has never ever cleaned their guns in the 50+ years they have owned them and they still work just fine they hit what they aim at. But then they aint making 400 or better shots either.

4. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

Won't hurt it until l less you are shooting surplus corrosive stuff, and I do not know of any corrosive .223. You will be fine.

5. ArmyScout

ArmyScout Supporting Member

IL
    I do a quick clean all my guns after every range trip. Not an "Army Inspection" clean. That I do when I have to put them away for an extended period.

6. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

I clean after every outing maybe not the same day but within a week. Unless its my carry that is cleaned right way.

7. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Fort Worth is pretty dry. Even shooting corrosive ammo, you'd probably be OK most of the time. Corrosive ammo really isn't. It just has metallic salts which attract moisture, which is what promotes rust. In a sufficiently dry environment, there's no moisture to attract.

Because you were shooting non-corrosive ammo, you'll most likely be OK unless you have left it in someplace that is artificially humid (like your bathroom) or if you lived on the gulf where it's both humid and salty.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  8. shooting non corrosive ammo, and in a dry area. I wouldn't even waste my time cleaning after 20rd. unless you don't plan on shooting it again for a year or something.

9. Privi is non corrosive. Your rifle is fine.

You could leave it alone for fifty years and it would still be fine.

10. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

From one Texan to another... the firearm will be fine. I have bolt guns that haven't been cleaned in months, other then a quick external wipe down of the barrel with a thin coat of oil. I deep clean them when accuracy or function is affected and not before.

11. Browning 9 Guy

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies. It's amazing how little residue showed up on the patches when I eventually cleaned it. For a rifle that belches a little fire out the muzzle I thought the bore would be filthy.

223's seem to produce minimal kick. You could hold and fire this thing with one hand. Which leaves an empty spot in my modest collection. I'd love to buy a bolty with heavier punch such as a Savage 270.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    That's the gun locals here buy their 12 year old kids to hunt with.

Man up and get a .308 or a 30-06. Or go to the next level, get a .338, .300 Winmag, or a 7mm RUM:p

13. Browning 9 Guy

300 Win Mag

300 Win Mag is at the top of my "have to have" list. Ever read American Sniper? He preferred that over the 50 cal. Realistically though I'd have to stick with a 308 due to local ammo availability.

14. Browning 9 Guy

Dad's old 16 gauge

On another subject, I just tried removing the rust and blue from Dad's 16 ga, a Belknap Nitro Hunter. Gun's at least 80 years old and was neglected. Deep seated rust in the receiver. Barrell has no rust but is coated with a century of grime and residue. No dice. Birchwood Casey rust and blue remover barely made a dent. Next step is fine sandpaper on a polishing wheel. (Tried coarse steel wool by hand and still no dice.).

15. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

For the vast majority of applicable uses, most people aren't going to need the extra oomph the .300 provides.... I've got a .308, buuuttt, I'd prolly get a .300 or a .338 someday too!

16. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Most of us don't "need" anything, but desires, wants and dreams are pretty persuasive.;)

17. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Tell me bout it!

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Back on topic. Talking to a young friend of mine, he has an AR, about 18 months now, says he has shot about 1500 rounds.

Said he had to use the forward assist last week when he was shooting some pot-guts... That's gophers or groundhogs or any other little critter that lives in holes in the fields.

Turns out he's never cleaned it.:p

19. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like my oldest. I end up cleaning his or they would never shoot.

20. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    But that's the point. It still did shoot. ;)