Bolt-Action .22LR

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by lklawson, Jun 23, 2014.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Wanted: Bolt-Action .22LR rifle.

Face-to-Face preferred (general area - Dayton, Ohio).

Here's the deal. I need a few extra CHEAP boltie .22 rifles for teaching BSA Rifle Shooting Merit Badge. BSA policy is that they must be bolties. They have a preference for single-shot, but mag fed is acceptable under certain conditions.

The condition of the rifle doesn't have to be particularly good as long as it's serviceable. The stock can be banged up and dented and the barrel and action can be scratched and worn, as long as the stock is in one piece, the action is serviceable, and the barrel isn't entirely "shot out." It would be for beginners who wouldn't really benefit from a Match Grade rifle (or ammo) and might not treat an heirloom rifle with the respect it deserves.

Youth sizes are slightly preferred.

Price: Here's the catch. It's going to drive the rest of this post.

I can get a brand new youth .22 rifle locally for starting at around $100-$120 or so (+ tax, yadayada), which includes warranty &tc. So I'm looking for $80 or less. $50 would be awesome and anything less would be a dream.

I'd consider a non-functional rifle, provided that it could be repaired for a total investment of the same price range.

I'm preferring FtF because shipping & FFL fees could easily push a $70 gun into NIB prices.

I know this is an unlikely long-shot, but I can't know if I don't ask, right? :)

I've got a half-dozen friends, locally, with instructions to watch the Pawn Shop scene.

Should I throw in a "Do it for the children!" lament? ;)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
  2. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    If they were donating to the scouts, it's a tax write-off.

I don't know your specifics, but my Scouts own a box full of 8 BB guns, shooting glasses, 8 kids bows and 16 arrows. If your local scouts felt comfy owning some .22s that you maintain, then the tax thing kicks in, as instead of donating to you, they could donate to the scouts.

Put in a word with the pawn shops in the area as well.

And finally, once you know the specific models, finding them gets easier.

An Ithaca model 40 or 49 is really popular with scouts. Looks like a full on lever gun, but it's a falling block single. Mine was about $40, in terrible shape, sights are held down with electrical tape. Kids don't care, and it shoots straight.

Savage Springfield 120A is a single shot bolt, generally low priced.

3. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I was thinking of having a Raffle (Private Lessons - Bowie Knife & Tomahawk), or maybe some other fund-raising type thing. An "emergency car kit in a bucket" seems like a grand idea. Probably better in the Winter, though.

As usual, sellers on Armslist and GunBroker think that their firearms are made of solid gold. :)

I have some time to figure it out.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

4. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Ain't that the truth.:(

5. HP/C9/45ACP

HP/C9/45ACP Member

PM sent requesting information on where to send a monetary donation to help the kids out. Hopefully others will follow.

6. SteveC

SteveC Member

WV
    PM sent. I'll contribute too.

7. bscar

bscar Supporting Member

I never asked where they got them, but a local sportsman club has old WW2 era training bolt action rifles they use indoors for their family days. It looks like they could hold magazines, but they have you load 1 round at a time, and it's a pain in the butt to do so with fat fingers and the small opening for the .22 round

8. Check out the CMP too. They might have something that isn't listed on there sitw. After all that's really what they were started for. Getting older used guns to people who couldn't afford them to train and practice

9. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I checked the CMP the other day. No working .22LR rifles at the time. There were a lot of parts pieces though. :)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

10. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

If you have a Gander Mountain in your area go talk to them. They and Cabelas both are pretty ardent supporters of the BSA and have been known to donate .22's.

11. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Even when they have them, they ain't cheap.:(

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Mossberg, Savage, Winchester and Remington all provided .22s to the gov't. back in the day. A US property stamp cranks the price up pretty good on them, it's easy to see $400+ on them.

The Mossbergs were 42 and 44 models usually, the Savage was often a 416, Winchester was the 75 or 52 and I forget the Remington model. There were others of course.

Looked it up, the 40X and the 513 were the Remington's.

I have both the 42 and 44, but mine aren't gov't marked.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

If Gander would do that it might drop them off of my Naughty List.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I've decided to toss this in as an option as well.

If you're local, I will offer a trade: Four, 1-hour, private lessons in any Martial Art that I teach. This includes Bowie Knife, Irish Stick, Tomahawk, Judo, Bartitsu, Classic Pugilism, &tc. My location.

$200 value.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

15. If anyone is in kirks area, this is the time to buy a cricket for $120 and trade it for martial art classes :p

16. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I might even throw in a hand crafted slungshot and classes for it.

Peace favor your sword (mobile)

17. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I know it's real, but Bartitsu always sounds like a method for well endowed women to fend off amorous drunks at the pub.

18. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

It is..... Involves a lot of open hand strikes to the cheek area, and nut shots.....

19. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

I have an historic account of EXACTLY that circumstance. Well, except for being in a pub, that is.

More than one, to be honest.

Peace favor your sword (Mobile)

20. Bull

Bull Just a Man Supporting Member

Now come on..... You can't throw out a teaser like that, and leave it open...