Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so this may sound dumb, but I feel the need to muse a little bit, hopefully get some suggestions on better ideas/alternatives.

So tomorrow or Thursday, a 308 Ruger American predator should be getting to an LGS for me to buy, it's gonna be a little over $400 after tax I believe, like 420ish. But in the state of Ohio rifle cartridges that aren't straight walled are illegal for deer, but okay for other game. 308 would only work on coyote and hog from what I believe Lawson has said in a different thread.

That being the case I'm starting to wonder if I should even pay for it, I haven't spent a dime on it yet just stated the paperwork though we stopped after we realized it was the wrong caliber.

I also found out, through a spoil surprise that my girlfriend is planning on getting a crossbow for me for Christmas or something. So I'm a bit confused, forget the rifle? Spend the money on a gun I can use to hunt in my state?

Any constructive suggestions would help, I'm getting the bow either way, I just would like to know if there is any better alternative to the 308, or if i should stay with it for possibly long range training and maybe long range coyote/hog hunting (whenever I find a place to hunt).

·
Administrator
24,570 Posts
Or you could take that $420, hook up with our resident deal hunters, and build your own AR.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I could huh? I mean I'm not required to buy the rifle at this point am I? He only filled in a couple of his boxes.

·
Administrator
24,570 Posts
There is this thing called lay away.

·
Premium Member
35,819 Posts
Do you want to hunt the gun season, or not?

If you do, and this rifle will stop you from hunting the gun season...get a cheap break action or bolt action shotgun, and use slugs or buck shot; or buy a break action Handi-rifle in the right caliber; and then buy the rifle anyway, on layaway.:p

If you don't really want to hunt the gun season, get the rifle and enjoy it, and spend the money you would have used on hunting, on ammo.

Alternatives...buy a used rifle and a shotgun both!;)

·
Premium Member
3,776 Posts
That, is out of my price range. However cool it may be.
Sportsmans Guide has a 4 pay plan. You don't even have to wait to get your order. I have bought 5 guns from them so far that way, and they they get to my ffl about a week after being ordered. I just love them!

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
I could huh? I mean I'm not required to buy the rifle at this point am I? He only filled in a couple of his boxes.
Your not obligated to anything, that being said in my opinion if it is a small shop that may only sell 10 guns or so a week it would be pretty sh!tty to back out if he special ordered the rifle for you without even taking a deposit.

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Your not obligated to anything, that being said in my opinion if it is a small shop that may only sell 10 guns or so a week it would be pretty sh!tty to back out if he special ordered the rifle for you without even taking a deposit.
No, they're a full size LGS. When he ordered the rifle in his partner was on the phone in the process of ordering other things from their supplier. Though that is a thought that crossed my mind too, while not being a small shop that WILL suffer if I backed out, I know I'd lose face and that could hurt me if I need a deal in the future.

Sportsmans Guide has a 4 pay plan. You don't even have to wait to get your order. I have bought 5 guns from them so far that way, and they they get to my ffl about a week after being ordered. I just love them!
That doesn't sound bad to be honest. And I found the cost of membership, only $40 annually. I'll definitely be considering it at some point in the future.

And Ajole, if I hunt this gun season I'm pretty sure I'll be hunting squirrel since this is my first year trying to hunt in the first place. So, you have good points, but I think I can wait for the next gun season on deer.

·
Premium Member
5,353 Posts
If you want to hunt I would forget the american and figure out what gun you could use in stead. IE a 12 ga shot gun. or a Handi rifle in what ever caliber I think they made them in everything even 500SW which is leagal for deer. If you want one for long range shooting at a range, then buy the american.

The crossbow is great for deer hunting, but only within a limited range. 12 ga slugs would move your effective range out to 100-150yards. 500SW maybe more.

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
Did you find out about the cartridge thing before, or after, you ordered the rifle? You could always work with them and see if they couldn't either change the order or order you a different caliber rifle

·
Premium Member
338 Posts
No, they're a full size LGS. When he ordered the rifle in his partner was on the phone in the process of ordering other things from their supplier. Though that is a thought that crossed my mind too, while not being a small shop that WILL suffer if I backed out
I wouldn't sweat it then, take your time and decide what suits you best. In my opinion for range fun a AR platform is hard to beat while staying in your price range. I would even consider one in .22lr, I recently gave my wife a Colt M4 ops and it is a blast to shoot and can be had for under $400. Also RK guns has DPMS Oracles on sale for under $500.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts