Bolt not closing on 995

Discussion in 'Vintage Topic Archive (Sept - 2009)' started by cheeseburger, Apr 2, 2008.

1. cheeseburger

cheeseburger Member

OC NC
    Finally got cleared from Dr to resume all activities after eye surgery, been out of action since Jan 16. I got a 995 back in Jan but couldn't shoot it until this weekend. After hearing all of the good reports here I could hardly wait. First outing shot 100 rounds of lawman ammo and 40 rounds of Brown bear ammo, and had one ftf that was caused by magazine coming loose. I am using an ATI stock that was put together by my friend that owns the store and the mag release button wasn't seated well. About 10 seconds of work and it was fixed. Well tonight I went to the store for round 2 and shot only the Brown bear ammo, it is non corrosive but slightly dirty. After only 10 shots the bolt wouldnt close. Dropped the mag and it still wouldnt close. Had to push on the bolt real hard to get it to close. Fire a couple more rounds and the same thing happened. Cycled the bolt many times by hand and all seemed smooth. Loaded another magazine and fired a couple more shots and same thing happened. As a note the rounds in the magazine were not being engaged by the bolt as the bolt was "sticking" as if it was a last round hold open gun. Any suggestions and what is the best way to clean this gun without tearing it completely down. By the way this thing will group like there is no tomorrow so I want to get it dependable enough to use as a home protection gun for my daughter. Thanks Cheese

2. You might take the metal cover off and see if the bolt is rubbing against it or the stock (I am not familiar with the ATI stock, sorry). It sounds like it is rubbing and catching against something.

Let us know what you find out.

3. When i bought my ati stock for mine i noticed the bolt would hold back once in a while while hand cycling it. when i removed the cover that is behind the receiver shroud it was smooth, and when it was on it would stick, i took a drumel and grinded down the cover a bit (only the inside of it) to allow more room for the bolt. and behold it worked and to this day has had no problems.
    if ya need more detail let me know!

4. cheeseburger

cheeseburger Member

OC NC
    XV I'll check that tomorrow.

5. unscarred

unscarred Member

+1 on this. Same thing here.

6. PAdutchman

PAdutchman Guest

Same thing here also.

7. kanderson586

kanderson586 Guest

Is your firing pin bent????

8. cheeseburger

cheeseburger Member

OC NC
    cleaned up the cover behind the breech cover. It had a little lip on the mold that looked like it didnt belong so I filed it off. Also found some plastic shavings in the action so I cleaned it all up. Haven't had chance to shoot it yet but it seems to be a little smoother. I only experienced the problem while shooting it not while hand cycling so I will have to see what happens at the range. Thanks for all of the input....Cheese

9. No problem its why we are here

10. Cheese, I found that I had to file some plastic off the rear cover of the ATI stock in order for my bolt not to stick in the rearward position. I have since reverted back to the OEM stock, but when I had my ATI on there, I had to do some modification to that one little piece to make it function well. PM me for details and/or pics if you run into trouble ok?