Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Took the Bond Arms Roughneck to the range this morning. 46 rounds through it.I saved 4 rounds for carry. I was shooting 125 grain cast Truncated Cone pushed by Unique powder.

The trigger is going to take some getting used to. First off, the pull is down and back, not straight back like a 1911 is. Kind of like the Sig 938. And the trigger is heavy. The book says 7 pounds, and I believe it. I found it best to put my trigger finger on the bottom of the trigger. After a heavy pull it will drop the hammer every time. If I placed my finger in the middle of the trigger it's very hard, almost impossible to drop the hammer. Other than being heavy, the trigger is crisp with no noticable over travel or creep.

For what it is, a 2 shot over/under derringer, it is plenty accurate. Both barrels do not shoot to the same point of aim though. One barrel prints about 5 inches higher than the other at 10 yards. One barrel, the one that shot high, printed about 3 inches at 10 yards, while the other printed just over 3 1/2 inches. Pay no attention to the 7 shot group on the center target. That was shot double action from the Taurus 692
20210313_115246.jpg
Bringing the target back to a more .reasonable 5 yards, I fired one shot at each of the small diamonds. Left to right, top to bottom. 1shot each time was on target. 2nd shot was high. Ine even missed the paper completely. I am going to blame that one on the trigger being heavy!

I fired the remaining 32 rounds into the middle target as fast as I could load and fire, which was not very fast, but they all fell into an acceptable group for social work I think.
20210313_115438.jpg

In closing I will say that it's not very comfortable to shoot. The pistol is a bit snappy, and by the time I pulled the trigger on the 46th round, I was ready to quit. All that said, it is a fun little pistol to shoot!

·
Premium Member
9,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I like them till I shoot them. Triggers are crap. They are no fun to shoot hand wise. Other than that.
this ^^^^ is a fair assessment I think. But the pistol also has a place I think.

the Grizzly is easier to shoot what with the 3 finger grip and the longer barrel. Even with 410 shells.

Putting the bigger grips on the Roughneck would kind of defeat the purpose of the little pistol though.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
Registered
679 Posts
Bond Arms is about 85 miles from me in Granbury. They offer factory tours and I've always wanted to get over there to take one. Never got a rountuit.

Reactions: undeRGRound

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
this ^^^^ is a fair assessment I think. But the pistol also has a place I think.

the Grizzly is easier to shoot what with the 3 finger grip and the longer barrel. Even with 410 shells.

Putting the bigger grips on the Roughneck would kind of defeat the purpose of the little pistol though.
As much as I want to feel like it has a place for normal carry. There is so much more better choices than a Derringer in modern times. I pick mine up and play around with it. Talk myself into shooting it as I'm killing bad guys on TV. To wear in the trigger. So I shoot it. Mind you mine is 38spl. And then I remember I don't like really anything about it other than it looks cool.

·
Premium Member
9,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As much as I want to feel like it has a place for normal carry. There is so much more better choices than a Derringer in modern times. I pick mine up and play around with it. Talk myself into shooting it as I'm killing bad guys on TV. To wear in the trigger. So I shoot it. Mind you mine is 38spl. And then I remember I don't like really anything about it other than it looks cool.
No argument from me. But I do like single actions, even in semi-autos. I routinely carry a NAA Mini as a bug or deep concealment. I think that the Bond Arms will be a suitable replacement providing I get a good holster. It is somewhat heavy. I see it more as a car gun though. And I am trying to find excuses to carry it. Of course in the 21st century, there are better choices than a 19 century design. :oops:

I carry the Grizzly with 2 1/2 410 shells loaded with 7 1/2 shot. Snake medicine. Even then I normally carry the H&R Survivor 45/410. That deserves another blush! :oops:

Reactions: moona11

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts
No argument from me. But I do like single actions, even in semi-autos. I routinely carry a NAA Mini as a bug or deep concealment. I think that the Bond Arms will be a suitable replacement providing I get a good holster. It is somewhat heavy. I see it more as a car gun though. And I am trying to find excuses to carry it. Of course in the 21st century, there are better choices than a 19 century design. :oops:

I carry the Grizzly with 2 1/2 410 shells loaded with 7 1/2 shot. Snake medicine. Even then I normally carry the H&R Survivor 45/410. That deserves another blush! :oops:
You need the Governor.

·
Premium Member
9,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Premium Member
35,847 Posts
You’d think, since they put a trigger guard on them, they could also make and use a decent trigger.

·
Premium Member
9,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You'd think, since they put a trigger guard on them, they could also make and use a decent trigger.
The trigger breaks clean. I am wondering about putting a lighter spring in it.

·
Premium Member
9,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have been told that some remove the trigger guard so as to be able to get the trigger finger done lower on the trigger. Supposed to lighten the pull considerably. I guess it makes sense because the lower you put your finger on the trigger, the more manageable the trigger becomes. The NAA Minis are much easier to fire with your finger on the spur rather than the face of the trigger. I might give it a try, but I like having the trigger guard on it.

·
Premium Member
9,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Been learning the trigger on the Bond Arms Roughneck. I have come to grips with it. Actually if you read the instructions that come with the pistol, they tell you how to do it. While it does not have the trigger of say, my Ruger Blackhawk, it’s not bad. And I will not be removing my trigger guard. A couple of snap caps and a lot of dry firing has been handy. The trigger has smoothed out and I dare say it has lightened up a bit.

·
ROLL wif Da MOLE!
25,876 Posts
I like the Bond Derringers (in theory) lol
Very nice looking and top quality, according to most.

Greg, you did not list your caliber, I'm guessing a 38 Special if you are a reasonable
man and a 357 Magnum if you are a Masochist 🤣🤣 That being said Buy the 357
barrels and run the 38's so I applaud you running it as 357 but sheesh, 23 times?

·
Premium Member
9,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like the Bond Derringers (in theory) lol
Very nice looking and top quality, according to most.

Greg, you did not list your caliber, I'm guessing a 38 Special if you are a reasonable
man and a 357 Magnum if you are a Masochist 🤣🤣 That being said Buy the 357
barrels and run the 38's so I applaud you running it as 357 but sheesh, 23 times?
9mm. It fits with my chosen calibers.

Bond dosent make a dedicated 38 Spl. They only make 38/357.

·
Premium Member
9,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Ah-HA! The 125 grain threw me a curveball ;)
Yep. My LGS carries Blue Boy cast bullets. And while they make a 125 grain cast round nose for 9mm, my favorite is their 125 grain .358 TC cast. I run them through a .356 sizer and we are good to go.

Recently bought another 500 of them. $38. But was told that they were going to go up about $10 for the 500 bullet box. Wish my supply of free lead had not dried up. I like the Lee 125 grain micro groove TC bullet. Just may have to get back into casting.

·
Premium Member
2,643 Posts
If I was to ever buy a gun like that, it would be a Bond....they look like they are well made guns.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts