Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dated 1970 w/2 mags and the the leather holster. Near mint condition for $249. It looks cool!!!!! Anyone with any experience/advice?

Cheers - Craig

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Re: Bought a Walther P1 9mm

Stick to Mil Spec 115gr loads. The pistol should be a great shooter. The alloy frame was not designed for heavy or +P loads.

Ron M.

·
Registered
127 Posts

If the frame is retrofitted with the hex bolt(look near the takedown pin) then you're good to go with most ammo but the heaviest and hottest loads. The p38 design's locking mechanism is not capable of handling hot or heavy rounds. The Beretta 92 uses this same mechanism and is not meant to shoot +p ammo for the same reasons.

The old p1s were among the first mass produced aluminum framed military pistols, so their alloy doesn't take abuse as well as modern aluminum guns, and the frame tends to get battered and can crack under both the pressure of high power rounds, heavy bullets AND heavier aftermarket recoil springs, so don't even think about installing the stronger recoil springs. They will damage the frame as the slide jerks back into battery too forcefully.

Hopefully you ended up with a retrofitted model. If not, just try to find the mildest loads you can.

·
Registered
127 Posts

As for the gun itself - mine displays superb accuracy for a decommissioned army pistol of any sort. The double action triggerpull is heavy and long, but very smooth and predictable, and you can tell where the break point is every time. The single action triggerpull is maybe a notch up from being a true hair trigger.

I really like mine. It's overengineered with the dual recoil springs, compared to more modern designs, but it's a neat mechanism and it field strips in like 5 seconds. It's got character, that's for sure.

·
Premium Member
635 Posts

yeah, picture please. I have been wanting one for so long but never find one in reasonable price.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

:postpics:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.