Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Стрелок
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone.

I bought my first handgun the beginning of January, a new JCP40. Didn't have enough to get ammo with it, but i thought i'd share my first impressions.

My brother first told me about Hi Points and since then I'd kept up on the talks, every one arguing both for and against, and never really had an opinion. I figured, every one likes what they like, but there has to be a reason they get bashed so much.

Awhile back i watched the iraqveteran8888 tests, which has become legendary around these parts, and i'll admit, it changed my indifference to a full blown love of HP's.

I went to the local Westforth Sports and planned to get a Cobray 9mm i'd seen they had before but it had been sold. So, i seen the hulking form of the JCP resting in the case.

The guy gave me a strange look when i asked to see it, but you could say it was love at first sight.

I'd been collecting alot of shooting equipment through flea markets the past couple years, an UTG holster, several Springfield Armory boxes for the XD that had the holster, magazine carrier, and speed loader, stuff like that. So the day i picked it up from layaway (it took me awhile to get the $120 for the Cobray, and the HP was almost $140 more), i figured i'd see what i can use with it.

It fit in the box great, and felt good in the holster. I don't have a permit, so i'm pretty much just a collector at the moment. Me and my brother find going to the range for a day of shooting is the most relaxing, although expensive, way to unwind.

It broke down fairly easily to clean and was simple to do so. Was a pain getting the recoil spring to stay on the slide for reassembly, but nothing impossible.

Just yesterday i ordered a cheap box of plinkers to help with the break in toward the spring, and an extended magazine for the carbine since i heard they were interchangeable.

Unfortunately, i'd forgotten that they void the warranties if you use them, which i don't want to ruin since it's the main reason i bought an HP, so it'll probably become a SHTF backup to stay in the crate with the mosin ammo.

Anyway, not even firing the thing yet, i went to adjust the sight base and it looked a little tweaked. Called the guy at HP to see if they'd warranty it, and despite sounding a little frustrated (which i wasn't mad about, figuring working Customer Service is an annoying job), he was very helpful and sent me a new one.

When i got it it looked about the same as the one on it so i kept it as a backup and put the GRS on instead.

Anyway, with my rambling out of the way, there is a couple things i'd like to know, if you can help me with.

Painting: I've seen people paint their HP's and some turn out real great. I'm not exactly made of money so i can't afford a duracoat setup. I was thinking of going the Krylon method, but don't even know where to start.

Upgrades: I'm still relatively new to firearms and the only ones i've shot so far are 10/22, Mossberg 715T (Own two of an planned to make into zombie rifles, but they have an awful design), Mosin Nagant T-53 (Me and bro owns one), Remington .22 (Bro owns one), Cobra 9mm Derringer (bro owns), and a Taurus pt millenium pro (bro used to own one).

That being said, i don't have the experience to know the difference a lighter trigger pull, or polished feed ramp have on a firearm. Are they worth doing on my HP? Is it difficult to do?

Warranty: I mentioned i bought an extended magazine. I hear they are hit and miss if they work, and that the bolt smacks the follower on the carbine and could weaken the frame. Will it void the warranty to use it on the handgun, or is it only voiding the carbines? I paid for the thing, so i'd like to use it, but if it just sits around it's not a big deal.

Alright, thanks for listening to my rant. If i broke any rules, i apologize and will try to correct it.

Attachments

·
Resident PITA
15,961 Posts
Awhile back i watched the iraqveteran8888 tests, which has become legendary around these parts, and i'll admit, it changed my indifference to a full blown love of HP's.
That the one where they hammer a steel bolt into the barrel?

Was a pain getting the recoil spring to stay on the slide for reassembly, but nothing impossible.
How many times did it go flying across the room?

Painting: I've seen people paint their HP's and some turn out real great. I'm not exactly made of money so i can't afford a duracoat setup. I was thinking of going the Krylon method, but don't even know where to start.
Krylon is fine. Where to start? Walmart

Upgrades: i don't have the experience to know the difference a lighter trigger pull, or polished feed ramp have on a firearm. Are they worth doing on my HP? Is it difficult to do?
Not really, but fire it first and see if you even need to do anything.

And welcome to the club.

·
Стрелок
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

It was the one where they hammer the bolt into the barrel, and it still fires.

Luckily the spring kept getting snagged on the slide so it didn't go too far, lol.

Yeah, shooting it first would be a good start. I'm probably just worrying about nothing at this point.

Thanks for the welcome, so far i'm glad to be here.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Welcome and congrats on your purchase. The JCP 40 shoots quite well, Im sure you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Seems like they would have given you a clip full of bullets to defend the home front..id have made your brother spring for a box. But nice job on the 40 cal. You're one up on me I'm long gun rich and pistol poor. You are so gunna want a 4095 now. But puchase bullets first !

Steevie Wonder Sniper School !

·
Стрелок
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Seems like they would have given you a clip full of bullets to defend the home front..id have made your brother spring for a box. But nice job on the 40 cal. You're one up on me I'm long gun rich and pistol poor. You are so gunna want a 4095 now. But puchase bullets first !

Thanks, they had a couple c9s and a 380 without the compensator, so i figured, go big or go home.

Usually they throw in a box of ammo if you complain enough, but i kinda like going there and wouldn't of stopped until i got a second one for parts, lol.

My dad said he shot a rifle when he visited family in Idaho. I showed him a picture of a 995 after he told me the caliber and he said that was it. I kinda like the idea of the carbines, but i'm a little disliking of the ten round magazine capacity.

On something like a Mosin i can understand a five shot magazine, but on a carbine using handgun ammo, it just seems like you'd want more than ten available. I get the reasons they're 10 at the moment, but still.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I've got a 995 and one ten round mag and a 4595 with three mags and the dual mag holder. I like the short mags I can go shoot for a day instead of half a day. The 4595 mags only hold 9 and its 230 grains of projectile. Good enough for me. And most people go carbine for the less costly pistol ammo. Still can get costly.I am not a reloader yet. Just a brass collector.

·
Стрелок
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, we usually bring four rifles and a couple pistols when we go to the range, enough for a day of fun on it's own.

I was stocking up on .22 ammo when it was $2.50 for fifty. The mosin ammo we got cheap since it was surplus, however it can't be reloaded. We're low on pistol ammo but i saved the brass from that in case i ever get into reloading.

Pistol ammo is a little scarce around here, but the gander mountain always seems to have ammo when i'm broke, lol.

I plan on getting either a 4095 or a 4595 at some point, but i wanna wait and see if HP plans on releasing an extended mag for them since i don't want to void the warranty with the pro mag one i bought.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I used to always wanna save a box of fifty of both 9 mm and .45 cal when I went shooting and .22 I wasn't even worried about but not now..I'm hording a few hundred round 9 and 500 rds of 45 and I'm even afraid to plink with the .22 as much. I've a few hundred rounds of that but can't find more then a box here and there. I also gotta keep a few 243 winn and 12 ga and 20 ga. 30-30 and 30-06. I sold my ak 47 a while back because it cost to much to get ammo. Crazy how you can shoot of the purchase price of you gun in no time at all

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
Before all i needed was a full mag/clip/tube to bring home. Now i only bring what i allow myself to shoot. It's easier that way. Once it goes in the range bag it's wrote off.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

·
Стрелок
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I used to always wanna save a box of fifty of both 9 mm and .45 cal when I went shooting and .22 I wasn't even worried about but not now..I'm hording a few hundred round 9 and 500 rds of 45 and I'm even afraid to plink with the .22 as much. I've a few hundred rounds of that but can't find more then a box here and there. I also gotta keep a few 243 winn and 12 ga and 20 ga. 30-30 and 30-06. I sold my ak 47 a while back because it cost to much to get ammo. Crazy how you can shoot of the purchase price of you gun in no time at all

It's insane the price of ammo now. I think i got 455 rounds of .22lr, 120 or so of 7.62X54R (60 or so set aside from the range ammo on stripper clips), only got 8 rounds of 9mm left for the derringer, and friday i should have the 50 rounds of .40 i ordered.

I like to keep ammo around, just in case of a Red Dawn situation, lol. If i didn't have to fix one of my cars i'd be buying ammo like crazy. Other than Gander Mountain's wizards stockin their shelves, it's pretty scarce around here unless you're looking for shotgun ammo. Bought 20 rounds of 20 gauge for my dad's shotgun for $7.

Even some of the websites i used to look at are running low.

·
Стрелок
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Before all i needed was a full mag/clip/tube to bring home. Now i only bring what i allow myself to shoot. It's easier that way. Once it goes in the range bag it's wrote off.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum
I try to bring home as much as i can, but sometimes it's hard to stop once you start shooting. The only reason we have any 9mm left is because i told my bro we were out of them.

·
Registered
210 Posts
That's not lying. We are all out of every kind of ammo. I on the other hand have pleanty...but WE are all out

·
Registered
187 Posts
Enjoy, I got my JCP used for 109.00 at a local pawnshop, he's looking for the papers where he received a cf380 soon as he finds em it's mine too. And I even convinced him to selling new models too he recently got a C9 new with hard case I'm considering too.
But I love my 40

1 - 17 of 17 Posts