Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first 995 brand new for $199.00 in Macon, GA. Also, I find ammo weekly at WalMart nearby.

Anyway, I have read virtually every post concerning the ATI stock. Most of them seem to favor it, but the ones that don't seem to really hate it. What's the real deal with the stock? Should I buy one or not? Found one for $44.99, which is way below MSRP. Just curious.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
but it if you like the looks. the factory one works and there's no real need to upgrade. the ati is stiffer and people report less flex. mostly it comes down to aesthetics.

·
Registered
13 Posts
simple and to the point-, don't buy the ATI stock. Will give you nothing but problems installing it, questionable magazine action and don't think it will be good as the new stock coming out. Wait for the new HP stock!!!!

·
Premium Member
1,329 Posts
^ I had zero problems installing mine. I followed the guide over in the stickies section done by Stryker1 and had it on and ready to fire in no time flat. Still am able to change mags without removing my right hand from the firing position. I prefer the feel of the ATI stock, looks are secondary to functionality.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Just bought my first 995 brand new for $199.00 in Macon, GA. Also, I find ammo weekly at WalMart nearby.

Anyway, I have read virtually every post concerning the ATI stock. Most of them seem to favor it, but the ones that don't seem to really hate it. What's the real deal with the stock? Should I buy one or not? Found one for $44.99, which is way below MSRP. Just curious.
44.99 is a good price for the stock.. where did you find it? But watch out for shipping.. the best i found so far is about $55 with shipping

·
Registered
49 Posts
+1...read the help posted on this and other forums and the ATI mod is easy. Looks better, ergonomics are better, accessories are easier to add.

...and waiting for the new stock is not an option if you've alrady bought one! Besides, the new stock release has been imminent, just like the 4595, for a good three years, and still nothing.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm one of the ones who would advise against the ATI stock. Hi-Point definitely advises against it. The tech I spoke to said that a great many of the 995's returned for work are a result of an ATI install. That was certainly the case with mine. The only reason I can see for the mod is aesthetics. I prefer the feel of the factory stock, because it is less bulky and lighter, and also seems to point better. I don't think that there is much question that the factory stock functions better, as it is more flexible and allows the gun to cycle better. This is according to HP and they build the carbine, so they should know.

Admittedly, some people claim to have no problems, but I'm not one of them. I have two 995's and I also have a $50 + shipping ATI sitting in a closet. It will not go back on either of the guns. I'm not above experimenting - in fact I have a Pro-Mag 15 round mag on order, and I plan to try to get it to work. If I can't, it will join the ATI Stock.

BTW, if aesthetics is your thing, put a $15 compensator on the gun. I question the functionality, but I think it makes the stock 995 look better.

·
Registered
128 Posts
^ I had zero problems installing mine. I followed the guide over in the stickies section done by Stryker1 and had it on and ready to fire in no time flat. Still am able to change mags without removing my right hand from the firing position. I prefer the feel of the ATI stock, looks are secondary to functionality.
Same here on installation...follow the Sticky on ATI conversion...piece of cake. Took less than 1 hour and the only had to line up and clean out one of the action cover mounting holes. As far a looks, that is a personal choice. Look at mine on the post here called "finished my 995...etc". Yes, it does make the gun stiffer..and it seems to set on the shoulder better. Other than that....

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Pull off the buttstock on the back of an ATi, and you can hide a pack of pop tarts too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I too just bought a 995 yesterday and have a question.... regarding Red Dot Sights.

I have no knowledge of red dot sights and little knowledge of optics. I did hear that the fun factor goes way up with a red dot and am interested in adding one to my gun. I only have $150 into the gun so what can I put on it inexpensively, that will increase the accuracy and fun. I probably need a mounting rail also, has someone out there in the forum already experienced this adventure and will you please add your advice.

Thanks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I bought a BSA Red Dot at Wal Mart for $28 and it works beautifully. The rails that came with my gun worked just fine for mounting it. I used a laser bore sight to line up the dots and presto!! I hit what I'm aiming at consistently.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I also used the BSA RD30 ($29 from Wally Mart). It mounts to the HP factory rail no problem. I have installed the bushman replacement rail and it mounts to that no problem too. It has been accurate and reliable and definitely worth the money.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
simple and to the point-, don't buy the ATI stock. Will give you nothing but problems installing it, questionable magazine action and don't think it will be good as the new stock coming out. Wait for the new HP stock!!!!
None of us here (I believe) have even been in the same room as the new HP stock, so it's a bit early to make any judgment calls on it. Sure, it COULD be awesome, or it could just be a better looking version of the flimsy OEM stock, but we don't know.

As for my two cents, I like the ATI because it's stiffer and doesn't feel as flimsy as the OEM stock. The OEM stock makes the 995 feel like a toy. Personally, I had no issues with the ATI. I'm looking forward to the new HP stock, but I'm not going to get one if the reviews aren't favorable.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Love the feel of the ATI. Have not been to the range yet, so we will see. Took about 30 minutes to install. A lot of people complain about not getting all the screws with the kit, I had several extra. Guess ATI got word about that issue. I cut the bow off of mine also, it served no purpose to me. It feels great.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I thought about the ATI stock myself, until reading that people were having feed problems. and re-installed factory stock and no problems.

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
I thought about the ATI stock myself, until reading that people were having feed problems. and re-installed factory stock and no problems.
Want to sell the stock?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts