Boy am I pi$$ off!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by planosteve, Apr 24, 2015.

1. planosteve

planosteve Lifetime Supporter

One of my COOP's (college students that work for me) resigned to take up a full time job with benefits and today was his last day. Great guy hard worker. I need to quit giving my good people leads on full time jobs.:bang:

:ranton:
    So I was given a full time employee who has been with the company for 15 years. It was either take this position or get laid off. I did not want him and the candidates that I recommended were not even considered. My manager and director did not want this guy either but we were not given a choice.

So we had a meeting today to go over what we expected of him and the shift requirements as we are a 24/7 operation. He and I are on a speaker phone and my manager and director are in two different cities and are on the call. My director very carefully explained why he was in our group and that he would be expected to work any shift assigned to him and what his responsibilities would be.

OMG the whining and complaints started immediately. It took every ounce of will power I had not to tell him the STFU. After the conference call was over he asked me if he would be working night shift and I told him he would be working them on and off as required. Oh ship the whining and complaining started again. He told me he had been with the company for 15 years and I had only been there 2 years so how come I am the boss. I just looked at him and said "because I have more years as a supervisor than you have years with the company and I was hired to supervise this site you weren't.

I told him to go home and show up tomorrow morning. An hour later I get calls from both my manager and director. The little POS called both of them and complained. The little F'er lied about our conversation.

The good news is my manager and director know about his issues and he is on a short leash. I am going to document everything to CMA and if he argues with me again I am going to write him up.

:rantoff:

Thanks for listening I just had to get that off my chest. I wanted so bad to just punch his lights out.

2. duster066

duster066 Supporting Member

Yup document everything. Sounds like it won't take much to be rid of him.

3. planosteve

What really PMO was his feeling of entitlement. He thought I should work nights instead of him. I work multiple shifts and if someone gets sick and I can't find a replacement I go in. This guy doesn't have a clue what it takes to do my job.

4. sdbrit68

sdbrit68 Supporting Member

I know the feeling, my employees feel like they should only work shifts they want

5. planosteve

I try to hire ex military. They understand that you show up on time and that sometimes you have to work weird hours. I really don't like having to discipline people, but it's part of my job. With this POS I don't think I will mind, and that kind of bothers me. I need to keep my personal dislike of him out of this.

6. HiPointArmorer

HiPointArmorer Member

WA
    So it took 15 years to find out you wanted to fire the guy...LMAO

7. planosteve

Oh give me a break I'm only on my second bourbon

8. planosteve

And to top it off I heard from HR today by email that the back pay they owe me because they screwed up they are not going to pay because the lawyers said they didn't have to. My response was fine you'll be hearing from the EEOC. I have an appointment with the EEOC next week and they are very excited

9. planosteve

Just to fill you in I have 10 months of back night shift pay that I am owed which is a 10 percent premium they're saying that they don't have to pay it because our managers weren't aware it even though it wss written corporate policy. I sent all the documentation and the emails to the EEOC they jumped on it like you wouldn't believe. I am going down to make a statement and file a formal complaint. The lawyer with EEOC was very happy as he hates corperations. His words not mine.

10. Think1st

Think1st Supporting Member

Florida
    The real killer about this is that all you are trying to do is get the company to simply comply with its own written policy. The company will keep an oxygen thief around for 15 years, but they won't do the right thing for their management. It seems that someone farther up the chain needs to figure out where his bread is buttered.

11. We are in the age of what the Demi's call "the age of entitlement". It offends me because they say " WE all feel entitled to Social Security"

Well FREAKING YES WE DO since we have been FORCED to pay into this nonsense for years as a retirement "benefit". Given the circumstances,
    we are most certainly entitled to it! They make it sound like we are just being greedy while they spend OUR money giving it away to third world countries,
    and our youth who haven't yet worked an honest job for any full time position. Most of our current politicos should be imprisoned for crimes against the country!

I know that'll never happen because on BOTH sides, they protect each other and their personal fortunes they amass at our expense. Right is right and the
    most of them are thieves!!!

But then, they consider us all to be subservient peons, barely worth the right to even vote. That right should be reserved for non-citizens only.

End soapbox.

12. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I do not look at social security as an entitlement. It is a deduction the Federal Government said I have to pay to fund my retirement. My gripe is it should be privatized. If it were, then I might be able to afford to retire.

13. Think1st

Florida
    Amen to that, gentlemen. If we owned our accounts, they wouldn't be so vulnerable to plunder. It would also prevent the whole system from being run as a ponzi scheme in the way that it is, today, because benefits paid would be based on contributions, rather than just being direct transfers from one working generation to previous ones. This system is unsustainable. Private accounts can actually work.

14. Back2School

Back2School Member

I wish I could say the same about ex-military as you and Kirk. My experience in my personal and professional life has been mixed - its why I focus on individuals and not stereotype anyone into a group.

The young guys fresh out are usually fantastic. They do what you ask, and follow the basic rules of being an employee. They do whatever you need and have a great attitude.

The ones that have been out of service for awhile are usually my worst employees. They show up on time but thats about it. They complain about EVERYTHING. If they show up low in the rankings, they complain the rankings are unfair. They go to HR at the drop of a hat - everything is personally against them. They think in binary - yes or no and cannot grasp anything in between. Everything here sucks because "when they were in the Army" (yes usually ex-Army and served 4 years only) things were done right - 20 years ago when they joined this company. The worst thing is they CLAIM to understand business, but have no clue how business really works, even simple things like ROI and business cases. They look for every excuse to be rude to a customer and deny service- completely forgetting we are there to serve the customers. They complain about lack of documentation and training, but when you show them where they actually took the training and were shown the documentation, they outright lie and say they have never seen it - even when it has their electronic signature on it. I have actually heard one guy cuss out one of our senior directors (an West Point grad) - no respect for authority. I have seen others cover up insanely wrong things for others, simply because they both "served".

I know some of my view is colored negatively because of things that happened to those close to me. My ex-father in-law retired a Major and he was one of the best examples of a man I ever knew. The colonial who managed the place my wife worked at was one of the worst pieces of human excrement that ever lived. My ex got raped in the hospital by a guy she had gone out with after she broke it off (2 months before we met). The colonial called her a "tag chaser" who wanted a brother and covered it up. When she started having physical problems 5 years later (4 herniated disks) and a repetitive stress injury address with surgery that left her with minimal use of her left arm (fully medically documented), he "ordered" the civilian doctor to change his diagnosis and put her back to work with no restrictions. Being former military, the doc took the opportunity to shut down this wanna be dictator and put him in his place. He worked with my ex in her retaliation lawsuit. The colonial was removed and sent elsewhere but that was the extent of his discipline. The Army paid and covered it up.

So yeah in my opinion, people are people. Some are good, some are bad and no one group has a monopoly on being good.

15. planosteve

I look for veterans that are in college. Most of them are extremely motivated and understand that the positions that I have are a great place to get experience that will help them find full time employment.

Not all vets are great employees, but it is a good place to start.

16. Think1st

Florida
    Was the West Pointer the senior director or the one doing the cussing out?

17. Back2School

Back2School Member

Senior Director. I was surprised he (or the HR people outside of his desk) didnt take action - he just told the people under him they had to take care of it - so junior level managers lost their jobs over it - the rude guy is still here.

Sorry if that wasn't clear, I didnt clarify because I couldnt see any acadamy grad acting that respectfully. I dont think there is a better set of schools in the US than Annapolis, West Point or the Air Force academies. They truly are the best of the best.

18. Think1st

Florida
    Telling the people below him to take care of it was a good answer, but those individuals certainly didn't seem to have done a very good job of following his orders. Firing the lower-level managers, but not the insubordinate SOB kind of missed the mark.

19. Back2School

Back2School Member

Ya, I really had no issues with his actions, just the 4 year guy who has no respect for any authority. I did not mean to disparage the West Point guy.

Now the piece of crap that raped my ex while on duty, and the commanding officer that covered it up and retaliated against my ex, um ya. I saw what that stuff did to her. We may not have been able to make our marriage work with trying to combine 2 families, but it still pisses me off that trash like that got away with what they did.