Break Cleaner or Ballistol for a long overdue cleaning?

Discussion in 'General Hi-Point Discussion' started by daveindenver, Feb 23, 2020.

1. daveindenver

daveindenver Supporting Member

Both my Hi-Point are way past due for a cleaning. Looked at several cleaning posts here but I now have a question since I recently bumped into the Break Cleaner (non-chlorine) recommendation.

Since my neglected (?) firearms need a lot lot more than a once over, is Ballistol going to do the job or should I go with break cleaner which I presume is much stronger?

If my H/P's would only have misbehaved or had bad POI's they would have been cleaned a long time ago. (I have always snaked with M-Pro7 oil after every outing and then the occasional drop in the chamber. I do have M-Pro7 Cleaner... presume it is on par with Ballistol.)

995ts = 3.5K rnds.
    C9 = 2.0K rnds.

2. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Use both, break clean is for carbon buildup.

daveindenver likes this.

3. daveindenver

Start with Break Cleaner?

4. moona11

Yes. Or it will strip off the bastol. After you blast and scrape off the gunk. You apply your favorite oil, fancy store stuff or bastol, moble 1, ATF.

daveindenver likes this.
  5. daveindenver

Bullseye info! Thx!

6. SWAGA

SWAGA No longer broke... Lifetime Supporter

Use Automatic Transmission Fluid and an old toothbrush.
    It will clean everything.
    No use for expensive stuff.
    Yes really.

7. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

As normal, @moona11 hit the nail on the head. Be careful around plastic, brake cleaner will eat some plastics, don’t know how the Hi Point plastic will fare.

I normally just shoot Ballistol in my 995 until it runs out clear, punch the bore, wipe it down and call it good. When I feel the need to do a “brake cleaner" cleaning I do a detail strip of the rifle. I clean the metal parts separate from the plastic.

daveindenver and moona11 like this.
  8. moona11

When I clean I do a complete tear down. Its the OCD and Armor in me. If it comes apart I take it apart. I cheat I use low speed drill with bore brush. Dental picks, and demel with felt polishing pads.

9. daveindenver

So based on the info from Moona11 then Ballistol (etc.) = ATF. And use after BF.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  10. greg_r

greg_r Lifetime Supporter

I do not do a complete tear down every time. Maybe because armorer was a secondary MOS ???o_O My KAHR, for example. I carry it almost daily and it gets a wipe down every evening, a field strip weekly, and a detailed strip once a month.

I admit to abusing my 995TS. It gets pizzed on, wiped down, and thrown behind the seat of the truck. But then again, that’s basically what MOM tell us to do with it, and it always seems to run fine!. Actually it gets hosed down after each range session with Ballistol, Rem Oil, or similar after each range trip. I have even been known to use WD40 or its dollar store equivalent .:oops: I just about believe you can not kill a Hi Point carbine except for maybe bending a firing pin.

moona11 likes this.
  11. moona11

ATF is a good cleaner. I make my own gun cleaner and gun oils based off of eds red formula. Basically the same ingredients just different portions.

12. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    I just lock it open and put it in the dishwasher.

Well, not really. Normally I just pull a Bore snake through, but if the action needs cleaned, I spray some pressurized gun scrubber in, brush everything I can reach with a nylon brush, wipe it and lube it and call it a day. Not picky, I just get the cheapest stuff that’s synthetic safe.

moona11 and daveindenver like this.
  13. TNTRAILERTRASH

TNTRAILERTRASH Supporting Member

Carb cleaner is better on carbon build up. I clean my throttle bodies with it.

14. RCS

RCS Likes guns and good people. Mean people suck. Member

I use brake cleaner. Take the carbine apart, flood the parts twice, wipe them off before it dries, blow dry if you feel like it, let it dry, flood with your favorite Teflon lube, put back together, forget it. Works every time and doesn't affect my plastic. There you go.

15. daveindenver

A car wash is overkill then?

16. histed

histed Supporting Member

How does it work on Lead and copper in the bore?
    So this really is good stuff? Been tempted to make a batch a couple of times but didn't want to waste money or screw up a gun. Other than the normal - well ventilated area and don't drink it - precautions, anything I need to know? I used a "home remedy" on a .22 once - to say it screwed the bore is putting mildly.

17. RCS

RCS Likes guns and good people. Mean people suck. Member

No. The gun is destroyed when new but with a lifetime warranty. I sometimes use a 3400psi pressure washer. Mobil 1 oil works pretty good if you wipe most of it off or a thin Teflon lube. Dupont makes a motorcycle chain lube that works pretty good. In other words, anything or nothing works.

Brake cleaner with mineral spirits and strong delimonene (get it from Amazon) will get anything off using a bronze brush if you feel like it. Then just run a patch of Rem oil through the bore then bullets.....lifetime warranty, lifetime warranty, lifetime warranty.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
  18. moona11

Its safe. I mixed a gallon of cleaner and gallon of gun oil. I keep it in mason jars till i put it on little bottles. It lasts forever. I give it away to people who I work on their guns. After I sell them the first bottles for a few bucks. I left out the acetone because to me its really not needed if you take care for your barrels. I mixed it all in a gas can.

lklawson and histed like this.
  19. histed

histed Supporting Member

I'll give it a try. Been using Hoppe's for eons, but it doesn't always work well in hard to reach places. As for a full disassembly - it scares me a little. Usually pretty good with mechanical stuff, but with no real guidance I don't want to risk a cold start, so to speak

20. moona11

I usually tell people to use whats on hand. We all have a lot of gun oils on hand from years of buying it. Rem oil I must have 20 bottles of the stuff. Generally I just use whats closest. But I prefer my own stuff or bastols. Then there is waxes. I prefer flitz gun and knife wax but will use Johnson's paste wax. But I use turtle wax in my tumbler.

histed likes this.