Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one hi point c9 running on safariland clp with about 200 rounds, and another that had had 8 rounds with g96 oil. Anybody else using anything different like 3 in one oil? Back in my really broke teens (I am 54 now) I had to use 3 in one because that’s all I could afford, and it did ok. So does anybody use something like Walmart sae 30 weight or something more obscure to break in their c9?

·
Premium Member
9,307 Posts
I've only broken in my own weapons with regular old CLP or Frog Lube, but that's just because it's what I had around.

I will say, however, that I routinely used SAE 30 on the M2 .50-cal with great results, back in the day. If it'll work on a beast like that, it'll probably work just fine on your C9.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your service. As a REMF I never got to see or use the ma deuce. This may give me an excuse to get another hi point and try 30 weight, but nothing as good as Mobil one. I will choose an off brand to see if it works.

·
Premium Member
1,378 Posts
I'm a WD40 guy for cleaning and mild lubricant. For day to day use. I use gun grease. It doesn't run or pool. It sits RIGHT where I put it. I let the Hi Point tell me where to lubricate it. I'll run it dry during the "break in period" and look for the wear marks where the pistol has worn off the finish. Those are the places where I make sure there's lubricant (grease).

·
Premium Member
10,285 Posts
I've only broken in my own weapons with regular old CLP or Frog Lube, but that's just because it's what I had around.

I will say, however, that I routinely used SAE 30 on the M2 .50-cal with great results, back in the day. If it'll work on a beast like that, it'll probably work just fine on your C9.
but that was mil spec SAE30 ;)

·
Premium Member
35,856 Posts
I'm a WD40 guy for cleaning and mild lubricant.

You silly, silly boy...WD40 isn't for cleaning anything but grease oils and water off of metal...nor is it really a lube, because it evaporates into a semi solid coating that is NOT frictionless. Sure it will clean some...so will hot water, so that's not saying much.

"WD40 is a solvent that leaves very little oil on the surface. This means that more dust and dirt will be attracted to the surface and eventually you'll have a nice layer of gunk on your gun. In cold weather this can be very bad and VERY big pain in the ass to clean off."

For day to day use. I use gun grease. It doesn't run or pool. It sits RIGHT where I put it. I let the Hi Point tell me where to lubricate it. I'll run it dry during the "break in period" and look for the wear marks where the pistol has worn off the finish. Those are the places where I make sure there's lubricant (grease).
Sorry about the bold....I tried to bold the word Solvent, and things went weird...
That's my thing. If you want it to "wear in"...it has to wear, and grease or oil prevents that. You don't shoot 2000 rounds without lubing...but a few mags will tell you where to apply it, and will get the break in job done right, so if you DO run dry at some point, the parts will be properly mated to continue sliding smoothly with a minimal bit of lube, or even none at all for a while.

·
King of you Monkeys
Up down
19,889 Posts

Sorry about the bold....I tried to bold the word Solvent, and things went weird...
That's my thing. If you want it to "wear in"...it has to wear, and grease or oil prevents that. You don't shoot 2000 rounds without lubing...but a few mags will tell you where to apply it, and will get the break in job done right, so if you DO run dry at some point, the parts will be properly mated to continue sliding smoothly with a minimal bit of lube, or even none at all for a while.
I need to repost pictures of what it does to guns

·
Banned
695 Posts
This reminds me of oil threads on car and motorcycle forums. They can get you "banished" for all practical purposes. Just use a lubricant. Hi Points are also warrantied for life. A gun is just like a hammer. They're a tool. A bullet comes out of one end.

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
I have one hi point c9 running on safariland clp with about 200 rounds, and another that had had 8 rounds with g96 oil. Anybody else using anything different like 3 in one oil? Back in my really broke teens (I am 54 now) I had to use 3 in one because that's all I could afford, and it did ok. So does anybody use something like Walmart sae 30 weight or something more obscure to break in their c9?
3-in-One oil is fine. In fact, it's the original CLP; Clean, Lubricate, Protect. That's what the "3" means.

Most folks way over-pay for gun maintenance products.

Link to an eBook I wrote on the subject:
The Cheapskate's Guide to Gun Cleaning and Maintenance

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
Reactions: Bertus and SWAGA

·
Super Moderator
28,454 Posts
3-in-One oil is fine. In fact, it's the original CLP; Clean, Lubricate, Protect. That's what the "3" means.
3-in-One oil advertisements from Arms and the Man, NRA publication (precursor to American Rifleman), between 1915 and 1917:

3-in-one-1915.png
3-in-one-1917-a.png
3-in-one-1917-b.png
3-in-one-1917-c.png
3-in-one-1917-d.png

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

·
Banned
2,649 Posts
1 - 20 of 91 Posts