Breaking in a Hi-Point C9, without firing?

Discussion in 'Hi-Point Pistols' started by Gary Cremeens, Apr 4, 2008.

1. Hi Folks, this is my first post. Just purchase a C9 yesterday. Been reading about breaking in by firing a couple hundred rounds. It occurred to me that pretty much the same thing could be accomplished by loading the clip and cycling the action a couple hundred rounds. I know, not as much fun as shooting, so what's the point. :D

Well, I can't make it to the range till this weekend and wanted to play with my new toy. So, why not break it in...

My thought was, cycling the action does all the same stuff that firing the C9 does, except NO BANG. You are feeding and ejecting rounds. The process seemed to work. For the first 100 rounds, no problems at all. Then at maybe 150 cycles I started to get feed/ejection failures. I disassembled and did a fluff and buff as described here: http://www.goldenloki.com/guns/keltec/prep.htm

Also Lubrication. Reassembled and started cycling again. Now at over 200 cycles. It seems to be working fine and taking it to the range tomorrow for some BANGS!!! I will let you know how it behaves at the range.

Also, don't ask me why, I tried a light coating of silicone on 8 rounds. Just thought that getting some silicone in the action couldn't hurt. :( WRONG!!! Don't ever do that. The rounds were so slick (even with the silicone being completely dry) they caused extraction problems. Went back to rounds without silicone and the extraction problems stopped right away.

Any thoughts regarding the no-bang breakin? Seem logical? I would be willing to bet that at firearms factories they have test jigs set up that do exactly the same thing to wear test firearms.

2. I would maybe polish the feed ramp and leave your mags fully loaded. that is if you really cant wait. I would personally see how it shoots first.

S V

3. Hi SV. Wow! That has to be some kind of record for fast replies!

What can I say, I like to tinker. No fun till you take it apart.

C9 at the factory for repairs? What was it doing wrong and how long did you have it before having a problem?

4. Congrats on your C9! Have tomorrow shooting.

5. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

There's more to break-in than simply cycling rounds through it. There's a lot more force generated when the gun is actually fired. Polishing the feed-ramp is a good suggestion, but proper break-in has to be done the old fashioned way.

6. I fixed my feed issues by leaving the clips full for a week! the difference it made was like night and day. Went from 3 FTF per mag to none after a 150 Rounds!!!!!! Give it a try, nothing to lose.

7. Postal4U

Postal4U Member

During break-in, you are also making the trigger parts polish themselves on each other, which will eventually give you a slicker (easier) trigger pull.

8. I bought a c9 compensated model used. IT had a cracked left grip, old dinky rear sight and mag release problems. but on the plus side it was 130$ with 3 mags, holster and mag pouch. Hi point also wants you to send a used gun in for a look over and any upgrades. I still have not shot it, but i got a deal on it.

I know what you mean about tinkering. I had my first hi point,a JHP .45, Apart within a hour of bringing it home.

S V

9. Congrats, I hand cycle rounds all of the time just to wear on the feed ramp so it might become even more reliable.

10. Ummm, Do you shout "BANG" when you hand cycle? :lol:

11. I have to agree with Uraijit, there is a lot more force generated when the gun is actually fired. Remember this is a blow back pistol. The gases used to push the projectile out the barrel is also used to work the slide back. Cycling the rounds may help some, but not like firing will.

12. Lol :roll:

13. Strangerous

Strangerous Member

Is "Hand Cycle" being used as an euphemism here? If so. :lol: LMAO!

14. Uraijit

Uraijit Guest

If so, then I hand cycle all the time too!

Still not as good as the real thing...

15. Well, took the C9 to the range today. Fired about 115 rounds and it did great! So with the no fire cycling and the 115 rounds fired, that has the breakin at about 350 cycles. I consider it broken in.

Only one minor problem. After loading a few hundred rounds (during the no fire cycling and range firing) The clip expanded/bent open enough at the top that after loading a couple rounds they would start popping out the top of the clip. Didn't have any pliers at the range, so I was able to bend the lips closed a bit more by pushing them down against a wood bench. Worked fine after that, however, I think I will call Hi-Point and see if I can get a new clip. If they bent open once, they will probably do it again. Maybe a little tempering problem with the metal in the clip??

16. Ari

Ari Guest

Still go through 500 rounds before you use to for defensive duty. Also make sure and not over oil this gun. Do not take it apart except for factory prescribed cleanings times.

And last but not least enjoy it. :lol:

17. i didn't do anything to my hi points...just pulled them out of the box, loaded them up, and pulled the trigger. they worked just fine.

18. Rob, that's a good point. It has occured to me that I didn't really need to do any breakin and the C9 may have been just fine. Is the several hundred rounds breakin that people keep recommending really necessary? I assume it is based on Hi-Point shooter experience? That is, "I had some problems, but at a couple hundred rounds fired, they went away..."

19. p7196

p7196 Guest

Gary actually yes the breakin everyone recommends is necessary. Before trusting your HP with your life put the rounds through it.I have put over 7000 rounds through mine. I now trust it. I did polish the feed ramp and removed all the paint or powder coat off it. Then polished the daylights out of it and now it is slicker than a spanked babys butt. I have no ftf or fte probs at all.

20. Clip, you mean magazine right? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: