Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a .36 long rifle. Got my barrel and breech plug from Track of the Wolf. Started to fit the breech this afternoon and discovered that its about .08 too long. Anyone here know of any reason I can't file or grind the plug to fit? Even cutting .08 I'll still have more metal in the rear than this caliber could ever call for

·
Premium Member
9,207 Posts
I'm building a .36 long rifle. Got my barrel and breech plug from Track of the Wolf. Started to fit the breech this afternoon and discovered that its about .08 too long. Anyone here know of any reason I can't file or grind the plug to fit? Even cutting .08 I'll still have more metal in the rear than this caliber could ever call for
I would do a little research to see if the breach plug is case hardened before filing it down. If so, you'll need to get some hardening compound and a torch to reharden it where you filed it down. Otherwise, I can't think of a reason you couldn't file it down.

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would do a little research to see if the breach plug is case hardened before filing it down. If so, you'll need to get some hardening compound and a torch to reharden it where you filed it down. Otherwise, I can't think of a reason you couldn't file it down.
It's not hardened, but thank you for thinking of that.

·
Premium Member
35,579 Posts
With NO IDEA what the issues might be...what about a crush washer or even an O-ring?

Reactions: histed

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With NO IDEA what the issues might be...what about a crush washer or even an O-ring?
An O-ring would burn out in no time - possible with....interesting results to my eyes and face. A crush washer MAY work, but it would look strange on an 1830s style rifle. However, I do appreciate your suggestions

Reactions: ajole

·
Premium Member
2,618 Posts
Are you going to use anti-seize grease on the threads after you get it sized?

·
Premium Member
4,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are you going to use anti-seize grease on the threads after you get it sized?
You bercha dupa. Don't plan to ever take it out again, but, if need be, I want to get it out without a blowtorch and a hammer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts