Bring back AR-7 pistol

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by lklawson, May 6, 2014.

1. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Am I the only one who thinks that Charter (or someone) should bring back the AR-7 pistol with an optional Carbine Kit (long barrel and stock)?

I find I'm doing a lot of pie-in-the-sky stuff lately.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

2. Henry, maybe. Charter doesn't have the best rep for producing AR7s. Love the look of them though, reminds ya of the C96 Broomhandle Mauser.

3. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

It was called the Explorer II pistol and was designed so that You could NOT put the AR-7 barrel on it because it would then reclassify the pistol as a SBR (short barreled rifle).

The barrel has an indent on the top for the AR-7 that matches the recess on the AR-7 receiver group.

The indent and recess on the pistol receiver is on the bottom of the barrel.

Also, if one just turned the barrel upside down, the extractor recess would be on the wrong side.

The Explorer II pistol came with three different barrel lengths ~ 6, 8, and 10 inch.

eldar

4. You're not the only one. I'd even like one that the rifle barrel wouldn't fit on.

5. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY

I like that idea!
    But an optional Stock makes it a potential NFA item (SBR) if assembled
    with the stock and short barrel. That might be why it is not in production...

6. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Isn't that backward? Putting the long rifle barrel on the pistol is fine...but putting the short pistol barrel on the rifle is a problem?

7. undeRGRound

INDY

Yes, how could they keep the optional Stock from being installed on the pistol?
    Or does it actually have that option?

PS: Who cares if SHTF???

8. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    No hole for the bolt?

9. You guys fail to remember other carbine kits, just because you can install the short barrel and the stock doesn't mean you will and this doesn't make it an NFA item, Beretta Neos carbine kit, I think TC had some like that, and a few others, all deemed legal, because it really isn't hard to install a stock on any pistol, but if you choose to do so, then it's an NFA violation.

Sent from my iPhone using Hi-Point Forum

10. Yep, the Supremes ruled as long as ya don't assemble it as such, having the components to assemble an SBR is legal as long as you do have a legal way of assembling the parts. Receiver, short pistol bbl and grip, long rifle bbl and stock, legal to own. Receiver, stock, long and short bbl, no grip, illegal SBR. And the receiver has to have started out as a handgun, if made as a rifle originally it will always be an SBR even in pistol configuration. Handgun, OTOH, becomes a handgun again once the stock is removed, courtesy of the SCOTUS decision in the Thompson Center case.

Since Explorer bbls are hard to find, many folks just filed a new notch in the receiver in the proper place to accept the rifle length bbl, then cut them to whatever length they wanted. Never could understand why manufacturers make it difficult to interchange long and short bbls, anybody with a hacksaw is 40 seconds away from a "sawed off" gun anyway.

11. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Sorry, dyslexia kicked in.

You are correct ~ the problems comes from mounting the Pistol barrels onto the rifle.

eldar

12. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Henry makes the carbine, but not as a handgun with an optional carbine kit, similar to the Beretta NEOS.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

13. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

So does anyone know if it's possible to buy a "stripped receiver" for an AR-7? You could kit-build your own pistol that way and then kit-build a carbine kit for it. Provided you had decent documentation that you built the pistol first, this should conform to the ATF "pistol first" rule.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

14. Rerun

Rerun Supporting Member

Contact Henry ~ See if they'll sell You a stripped receiver.

Explain to them what You want to do with the receiver.

Maybe, just maybe, they'll see the logic in selling stripped receivers and open up a new market for them to make more money...

eldar

15. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    Contact that AR 7 site that sells parts, they might have one. I can't check through the filters...:(

16. Branth

Branth Member

I love the AR-7, but why an AR-7 pistol? Why not just carry, say, a Smith and Wesson U-22 with a scope on it? It'd be more compact, and you can get a holster for it.

Something like this:
    [​IMG]

17. lklawson

lklawson Staff Member

Because I like the way the old Charter AR-7 looks.

If all I wanted was a reliable .22 handgun with a carbine kit, I'd just buy a carbine kit for my NEOS and call it done.

But I think that the AR-7 has some things going for it as well.

:)

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

18. ajole

ajole Supporting Member

NE Utah
    As kirk says...the looks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. undeRGRound