Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to the range again this past Tues. while momma was gettin' her schoolin'.
Walked in and a guy was blastin' away with something.
I chose a lane three down from him to give us some space (we were the only two there.)
While I was loading up, hanging a target, etc., I noticed every 2-3 shots from him resulted in cursing I could hear with plugs in.
Not really paying much attention, I went on about my thing.
A couple mags from me into it (16 rounds one after the other with no fails), I turn around and the guy's standing behind me watching (honestly made me a bit nervous at first).
It was then that I noticed the Brinks uniform.
Keep in mind, I'm no "marksman" by any stretch of the term with a pistol.
He asks "what is that?", I tell him "HP C9 9mm", and he got a funny look on his face.
I'm thinking "this ought to be interesting".
He proceeds to start saying all the bad things he's heard about these weapons, how "cheap" they are, etc., ,but also that it looks to be a pretty accurate gun with a 5 inch barrel.
I politely said " ummmm.. it's 3 1/2, not 5".
Another "face change" from him, so I handed it to him unloaded and locked open.
He says "heavy, but nice feel." "Never held one or shot one."
We talked a bit while I loaded a mag, and handed it to him while saying "care to give it a try?. It's sighted for me as a lefty and the way I hold it, so the accuracy may be different for you."
He bit, and 8 rounds later was smiling as he handed it locked open, empty mag released, back to me.
I asked what he was shooting, and got yet another "face change" along with the comment "apparently an expensive, jamming, POS. Nice talking with you, thanks for the unfailing mag., at least I got one in today, enjoy the rest of your ammo, and have a nice day, I got to go."
After my 50 was done, and was walking out, there he stood at the counter holding a JCP in one hand, and a JHP in the other (that's the only 2 HP's they had in the case).
I calmly said "Either one's a good choice, my wife has a JH, it's and older metal framed .45, that does as good as mine, just a bit more expensive to buy and shoot, and a bit larger and heavier."
The counter snob employee shot me a hateful look, as Glocks and S&W''s were on either side at three times the price, but I just smiled and said to the Brinks guy "By the way, they have a lifetime warranty. You only pay for it one time. If it breaks, it's repaired or replaced for free by the factory, no questions. No "other" charges (glancing sideways at the counter guy), except for shipping, which they make up for by including a new mag on the return trip to you."

Not sure at this point if I'm now banned from there, but I'm happily camping for having "fought the good fight".
I'm still curious as to what he did, but smart money tells me if he failed to buy one outright, or trade his right then, he'll be back there to do so in short order.

My good deed for that day.
:D

Sorry for the wind, er...length, but it was an effort to convert yet another "customer", that I'd bet it worked.

DEBUG, Sorry if this doubles.

·
Premium Member
5,212 Posts
Good story, thanks for posting and I am sure the Brinks guy is appreciative of you too. :)

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Preach it Brother Ercnan!

G

·
I love stories like that! :) I'm new to the HP's but I had a simular encounter with my PF9 Kel Tec and some LEO's. Long story short, they noticed my gun because I have an Armalaser RSS mounted on it and they saw it on the target. They came over and watched (like yours did) and when I finished a mag they started asking all kinds of questions about the gun and the laser.
They had also heard bad things about KT's so I let them all run some mags through it and by the end of it they were all swearing to go get one of each for a duty BUG! :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well ............... after a long thoughtful reply that got smoked via DEBUG and I can't find even after a copy/paste effort (it's simply gone it seems),
Guess I'll just say Thanks.

·
Registered
917 Posts
Great work spreading the word and helping a hopefuly future HPFF member out.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great work spreading the word and helping a hopefuly future HPFF member out.
Spreading the word is a given, but if you ask Broomhead, it's spreading an addiction.
I happily tend to agree with the man on this subject.

There simply is no alternative.
DO IT, AND LIKE IT !! YOU HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE !!
'nuff said.

G

·
Good story Eric. A few months ago I had a similar experience. I had stopped at a dealer in Dickson to pick up some cheap ammo. While there I noticed there was an older C9. There was a gentleman looking at a Springfield. He also saw the hi-point. He asked to see it and the counter help (new guy and now unemployed) told him "you don't want it . It is a POS and unreliable." I told the guy look at it , it is better than you think. The counter guy said it's a ghetto gun. I said how do you get that? It is American made and has a better warranty than anything in this shop. The counter guy says "it is used you idiot , it has no warranty." I looked at him and said hah you don't know shit about guns especially a Hi-point do you? He started his spiel about it being junk again. Now the owner & I are friends and unbeknownst to anyone he is taking in what is being said by the 3 of us. The other guy is still asking to see it. I inform the counter guy of the warranty the HP has. He says no maker warrants a gun like that. The customer looks at it and asked a few questions and the counter guy & I disagree on every single question. I start telling the uy about HP and how they cover their products with a no questions asked no matter how many owners. The counter guy has become livid. He tells the guy "if you buy that POS don't come back to us when you hurt someone with an unsafe gun!" I take the weapon and show the guy it has a LRHO, mag safety and I looked it over pretty good. Then cite things like certain magazine articles, and how good the customer svc is at HP. The shop owner comes out and asked his now former employee if he had ever shot one. He said no I will not shoot one either. Then started with the usual brothers sisters boyfriends uncle had the slide fly off one. I asked Roy If I could break it down. He said sure go ahead. So I use my spring loaded center punch and show the guy how it comes apart and how simple it is designed. I put it back together but also noticed it had been shot very little. The feed ramp wasn't even scarred. After all the argument the counter guy was fired and the customer walked away with a C9 for $89. I got 2 boxes of ammo for selling the gun. I later see the guy at the range in Charlotte and he was loving it. He almost bought a XDM Springfield but tells me he likes the C9 better. I loved the argument with the counter guy though. Made him the idiot he called me and was able to prove every one of my points.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I love stories like this. While I don't have one similar myself I have had the opportunity to 'sell' a few in a couple of shops around here. Any chance I get, I talk up Hi-Points.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Good story Eric. A few months ago I had a similar experience. I had stopped at a dealer in Dickson to pick up some cheap ammo. While there I noticed there was an older C9. There was a gentleman looking at a Springfield. He also saw the hi-point. He asked to see it and the counter help (new guy and now unemployed) told him "you don't want it . It is a POS and unreliable." I told the guy look at it , it is better than you think. The counter guy said it's a ghetto gun. I said how do you get that? It is American made and has a better warranty than anything in this shop. The counter guy says "it is used you idiot , it has no warranty." I looked at him and said hah you don't know **** about guns especially a Hi-point do you? He started his spiel about it being junk again. Now the owner & I are friends and unbeknownst to anyone he is taking in what is being said by the 3 of us. The other guy is still asking to see it. I inform the counter guy of the warranty the HP has. He says no maker warrants a gun like that. The customer looks at it and asked a few questions and the counter guy & I disagree on every single question. I start telling the uy about HP and how they cover their products with a no questions asked no matter how many owners. The counter guy has become livid. He tells the guy "if you buy that POS don't come back to us when you hurt someone with an unsafe gun!" I take the weapon and show the guy it has a LRHO, mag safety and I looked it over pretty good. Then cite things like certain magazine articles, and how good the customer svc is at HP. The shop owner comes out and asked his now former employee if he had ever shot one. He said no I will not shoot one either. Then started with the usual brothers sisters boyfriends uncle had the slide fly off one. I asked Roy If I could break it down. He said sure go ahead. So I use my spring loaded center punch and show the guy how it comes apart and how simple it is designed. I put it back together but also noticed it had been shot very little. The feed ramp wasn't even scarred. After all the argument the counter guy was fired and the customer walked away with a C9 for $89. I got 2 boxes of ammo for selling the gun. I later see the guy at the range in Charlotte and he was loving it. He almost bought a XDM Springfield but tells me he likes the C9 better. I loved the argument with the counter guy though. Made him the idiot he called me and was able to prove every one of my points.
Good for you, Congrats.
Knowledge, and/or the spreading thereof, is power.
Keep the faith, belief, passion, and press on to educate the misinformed.
Stupid is as stupid does, while ignorance can be changed, if those are willing to effect such change.

Though I made no "embellishments" or untruths, I simply let the weapon (and by default, the maker) speak for it/themselves.

·
Registered
30 Posts
+1 for educating the uninformed!

At our saturday get-together, one of the guys, an avowed gun-nut with LOTS of nice toys, was asking about hipoints. One of the guys had a new JHP.

Gun-nut (gn for short) said he'd heard bad things about hipoints. 3 of us (the JHP owner, me (C9) and a former FFL gunshop owner and 995 owner laid out the facts for gn.

As the day was winding down, gn and I were talking. He wants hiis SWMBO to get a concealed carry permit, but she wants to get a .25 to carry. He said no dice; no way was he letting her carry a .25.

We talked a while (any gun is better than no gun, etc. . . . . ) and the subject of hipoints came up again. I told him how much I like my C9, and how reliable it has been. Turns out he didn't take the opportunity to fire it earlier, although he fired the JHP. a short while and 8 rounds later, his opinion of hipoints took a positive turn. Then I pointed out the warranty, and the NIB price; he's going to go in and look at the Hipoint line this week. Another convert!!! :twisted:

CB

1 - 14 of 14 Posts