Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone here has any ideas to help me. Some time ago (haven't had time to mess with it) I took my C9 apart for cleaning. Upon putting it back together and dry firing (yes, I know) I think something broke internally. Now, I cannot remove the slide as the slide will not allow me to pull it back far enough to remove the pin.

Yes, I know it is under warranty but the cost of shipping it FFL etc just doesn't seem worth it.

I would like to fix it myself if possible. Anyone have any ideas on what the issue is, or how to get the slide off?

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
Can you pull the slide back till the groove and hole match up then set the slide lock/safety, on. If not, you might have to send it back and it'll only cost about 11 dollars to ship, box it up, take it to ups, tell them its machine parts, and insure it. You dont need to mess with an FFL or any of that shat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Can you pull the slide back till the groove and hole match up then set the slide lock/safety, on. If not, you might have to send it back and it'll only cost about 11 dollars to ship, box it up, take it to ups, tell them its machine parts, and insure it. You dont need to mess with an FFL or any of that shat.
That is the problem. I cannot get the slide back to the point where it can be locked.

The folks at Hi-point told me about this machined parts deal, but that seemed a bit shady to me.

·
Banned
9,253 Posts
That is the problem. I cannot get the slide back to the point where it can be locked.

The folks at Hi-point told me about this machined parts deal, but that seemed a bit shady to me.
It's not shady it's how you do it.

·
Registered
290 Posts
It's probably your slide stop/safety. If you somehow got it off track and it's not flush with the receiver, that will cause your slide to not slide all the way back. That would be my first thing to check as I've had it happen it to me once. You're going to have to put some muscle into it to get the slide all the way back.

·
Registered
501 Posts
I think you may have put the sear in backwards when reassembling.
Take the right side grip off. Use a flat screw driver, and push down on the sear cam.
(this may be difficult) while holding the sear cam down, try to push/pull the slide back.
The safety probably wont go up into the slide lock, so you may have to have someone knock the slide retainer pin out while you hold the slide back.
It is a pain in the rear, but that's how it's done

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes, I know it is under warranty but the cost of shipping it FFL etc just doesn't seem worth it.
Maybe you just need to find a better FFL - I am sending a used pistol I just bought back to Hi-point for a safety check and repair and my FFL said he'd take care of all paperwork, I'd just have to pay shipping, which he said would be as simple as putting it in a USPS flat rate box for as cheap as we can find one. He does not charge anything extra past postage for warranty/repair shipping.

·
Premium Member
36,049 Posts
That's a great deal by your FFL. Take care of that one!

But as the gun doesn't work, it really IS just machine parts...
And since no one is transferring ownership, why should an FFL be involved at all?

·
Registered
51 Posts
That's a great deal by your FFL. Take care of that one!

But as the gun doesn't work, it really IS just machine parts...
And since no one is transferring ownership, why should an FFL be involved at all?
I know it! He has pretty much guaranteed repeat business from me.

An FFL doesn't have to be involved on the shipping end, I just don't know if I agree about the machine parts thing being legal...even a non-functional firearm is still considered a firearm by the feds if the receiver is included, as that is all that is needed to be a firearm. A stripped AR lower is non-functional in my eyes, but I can't buy one online without going through an FFL.

Federal law states that I must inform the shipping company that I am shipping a firearm. So the way I read it, shipping a firearm, even a non-functional firearm (but still a firearm in the eyes of the feds), as machine parts would be illegal because I did not declare it as a firearm to the shipping company. I don't see any exceptions for warranty or repair, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.

·
U.S.S.
2,253 Posts
Federal law states that I must inform the shipping company that I am shipping a firearm. So the way I read it, shipping a firearm, even a non-functional firearm (but still a firearm in the eyes of the feds), as machine parts would be illegal because I did not declare it as a firearm to the shipping company. I don't see any exceptions for warranty or repair, but maybe I'm not looking hard enough.
Not if you are shipping to the manufacturer. http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/shipping.htm

·
Registered
51 Posts
I wasn't looking hard enough, obviously. A luxury of having a good FFL 8). 8 seconds of searching yielded this:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/ae/BATFE_shipping_letter.jpg

Apparently even the BATF says it's OK in official correspondence, but not on their FAQ. However, they also say that the shipping company has the ability to require notification before shipping, regardless of who it's shipped to. Of course now my question is what the shipping company can do if I don't tell them that it's a firearm, and they find out at some point during shipping. Send it back to me with an extra charge? Waggle their finger disapprovingly?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow! Thank you all so much for your well thought out replies. I will attempt to fix it via the above posts... barring that I now feel a LOT better about the confirmation on the shipping legalities. I really didn't feel like catching a federal charge over a $150 gun repair.

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Which is what I said to start with.
You are right... why would I second guess some random guy on the Internet over something that could get me a felony charge?

^-^

Anyways... thanks again for the replies. I pushed up on the lever that hooks to the sear and it slid forward no problem. I was able to get it apart and flip the sear around. Works like a charm now. Didn't have this thing working for a year.... I wish I would have known it was something so simple.

Thanks a ton... I hope this helps others with the same issue.

·
Premium Member
36,049 Posts
:D
Glad you got it going!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts