Brown Bear 7.62x39 what happenned??

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by talon, Sep 24, 2015.

1. talon

talon the banned wagon

Been out of work a few days being sick, so i grabbed a case of 500 rounds that was on sale for $149.
    Ive used the BrownBear 123grain 7.62x39mm thousands of times (rather literally) before with no issues. I fired off 360 rounds and had so many issues it was troubling. I thought it might be the new slabside mags or the new 20rd steelies i bought at first, so i unloaded those and loaded up some known to work Romy mags but still issue after issue. I have 6 rounds that never fired at all. Pull trigger......nothing. Duds. And multiple FTE's, im gonna say over 40 easy. Seems like the lacquer is just ridiculously thick comparing them to older stuff i have on hand.
    Seems quality control is slacking in Mother Russia these days.
    The slabsides do look sexy as hell on Abigail though, they fed perfect with TulAmmo, and i dont have to baby them like the old Izzy bakelites.
    Once i gave up and broke open a case of TulAmmo i didn't have a single problem. If your gonnabe down may as well shoot stuff!!

Attached Files:

2. talon

talon the banned wagon

Im definitely blaming the lacquer for the issues. Its just applied way to thick on the whole case, and id have to imagine several cases before and after. Hopefully its not a new standard because its not working.

3. moona11

moona11 King of you Monkeys Lifetime Supporter

Take them and pull the bullets and powder and put it in good brass. There is a video on YouTube under 7.62×54R that shows it using a spent shell to pull the bullet. Easy

4. talon

talon the banned wagon

Brass in an AK.....might as well put some glitter pink poly furniture on it and hang a bow on it!!

5. moona11

At least it shoots :p I have pink furniture for ya :p it was going to be a Xmas gift for you

6. talon

talon the banned wagon

Im not afraid of a pink gun. Ill take it lol

7. moona11

You can reuse the tulammo also

8. talon

talon the banned wagon

Steel cases?

9. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

Barnaul made steel case has been known before over the years to over coat the cases once in awhile. I have run into the same from other manufacturers over the years also.

Be a good idea to use a brass bore brush on a drill with solvent to clean your chamber now. That heavy stuff may have a bit sticking to the wall of your chamber.
    I think I used a 9mm brush to do one of mine a few years back.

10. moona11

You can also use a nylon brush in a drill and after a few seconds its nice and clean quicker to and cleaner ;););)

11. undeRGRound

undeRGRound ROLL wif Da MOLE! Supporting Member

INDY
    The Brown Bear that I have shot was perfect, the rest is stashed :D
    I'm just hoping it is all the same lot, and not over done on lacquer.
    Should be, I think most of my stash is the "higher level" Bear, like Gold and Silver.
    I bought a nice little batch of the ZAR (South Afrikaner) BRASS 7.62x39,
    but it was not much more than the steel case. Reloadable is a plus. Just
    really need the .311 bullets. Oh, it was 10¢ more per round than MallWartZ...
    Wait a minute, more like 8¢ cuz the boxes hold 25 instead of 20 :dance: :D

12. talon

talon the banned wagon

Ive already used a hot vinegar solution and a wire brush to clean the barrel. It definitely left behind alot of gunk!!

13. undeRGRound

INDY
    The ZAR ammo was a 200 round batch.

Attached Files:

14. talon

talon the banned wagon

This is the 1st time ive ever had issues with the BrownBear. I do prefer Tul but ive shot thousands of rounds of bear too.
    Ive had duds with bulk surplus ammo before, but its almost expected from 1970s made ammo that been sitting in a commie bunker for 30 years and a wharehouse for another 10.

15. moona11

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkKJfvMyuDg[/ame]
    [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7Cu_7wIFA0[/ame]

easy ::D

16. FlashBang

FlashBang I Stand With Talon Lifetime Supporter

17. OldOutlaw

OldOutlaw Supporting Member

I figured it had to have. Guys at Sksboards have had the problem numerous times in the past. Those were the ones that for years was the cause of the debate over buying those type or the polymer type.

If you are going to shoot the ammo you buy, just go with polymer coating. Same price and no chance of same happening. Long term storage? Really makes no difference between the two if you use ammo cans and grease those seals with di-electric grease on the seals. I have learned just don't leave to chance stored ammo you may need for any serious reason. Reason why I do not buy the lacquer coated any longer.
    When I buy Brown Bear, I buy the polymer coated cases.

18. undeRGRound

INDY
    I can't remember if I bough more Brown
    after that first batch, but I did get a
    LOT more Barnaul. Any idea why you got a failure to fire? Can't see the link
    to excessive lacquer on the cases, unless it got into the primer pockets? :confused:

Looks like Glug-Glug got tired of pissin' down the barrel :rofl:

19. talon

talon the banned wagon

My guess on the duds is also lacquer. Think it just got it the way. You can SEE a difference in thickness.

As for poly or lacquer coated...when i plan on sending a day with the AKs i buy a case of whatever he has on the shelf, and go home with an empty box.

20. MaryB

MaryB Supporting Member

Dip each in thinner and wipe it off(bullet end first, keep primer dry). Do not soak it, just dip and wipe to get most of the coat off.