Hi-Point Firearms Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I had a great time on my first outing with the 4095, lots of fun and not too much pain. I would like to know if Im doing something wrong in holding this thing or if its normal to be brused after firing 260 rounds of assorted ammo. Before I went to the range I was worried about some peoples opinions that this "just" shot pistol ammo. I was thinking it was going to kick like a handgun, only less due to its weight and would be fun, but nothing special. This sucker rocked me GOOD quite often!

I shot Wolf 180, Remington 180 UMC, Speer Lawman 180 and Winchester JHP 155? 165?, I forget, didnt like them at all.

I was shooting 180G rounds mostly, but the 165(?) ranger was no fun, the 180 lawman hit much harder, but it was so hard that it was kind of worth it if you know what I mean. :twisted: Like a long hard shove to the Winnys kick in the shoulder. The wolf 180's were rather tame and I could have shot them all day, same with the Remmington umc, but the rem had more to offer and grouped nice. The stats say the rem is more powerful than the Wolf and while it sounded like it was, it didnt feel like it, much nicer then the rest.

Anyway, how should I be holding this? Tight to the sholder? I was holding it tight to, but Im wondering if I was holding it too tight? Should I back it up with my hand on the P grip? Death grip on the shoulder? I tried a virety of things, even made tried to find a pad in the shop, a pad for anything, and even resorted to using folded cardboard to back up the stock.

Is there a decent pad for this stock? Anyone know of something close that can be modded to fit? Is this all just normal and I should just suck it up or go home? I did shoot quite a bit, hey, I was having fun. But I would like it to hurt less next time.

In not a little guy at 270lbs and Im starting to wonder if the shape of the stock just dosent go with the size of my shoulder? I know the point on the end at the bottom got me a few times, but I learned to controll this.

Any help greatly appreciated here, Im liking this too much to quit simply due to a lil pain.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I know this is a very old topic...

Just wondering if you ever figured out your problem.

I have fired everything from .22s and High-Point carbines up to M1s, M14s, Mausers and Mosins- and I'd have to say, while the M1 and M14 have some kick, only the Mosin and Mauser bolt actions were uncomfortable to shoot more than a box of ammo and left me with a little blue on the shoulder (in summer).

Are you just very recoil sensitive?

Were you holding the weapon too far from your shoulder and letting it slam into your body?

(just curious)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I use a Pachmayr Decelerator slip-on recoil pad for my 995, because it plays heck with my arthritis. It works very well, and all the only modification I made was to punch a hole in it for the sling swivel-stud to fit through. I also like it because it made the stock just a bit longer, which fits my long arms better, too. I believe I used the medium size, but the specifications are listed on the package.

·
Banned
1,193 Posts
I know this is a very old topic...

Just wondering if you ever figured out your problem.

I have fired everything from .22s and High-Point carbines up to M1s, M14s, Mausers and Mosins- and I'd have to say, while the M1 and M14 have some kick, only the Mosin and Mauser bolt actions were uncomfortable to shoot more than a box of ammo and left me with a little blue on the shoulder (in summer).

Are you just very recoil sensitive?

Were you holding the weapon too far from your shoulder and letting it slam into your body?

(just curious)
try a barrett m82....thats when it get interesting

·
Banned
19,442 Posts
or my old 375 H&H browning. that mother would kick the crap out of you if youdidnt have it positioned just right.

as for your 4095, id guess you probably havent built up a recoil tolerance yet. keep shooting and you will get used to it.

SW

·
Registered
75 Posts
I also use a Pachmayr Decelerator slip-on recoil pad. It helps with the recoil and makes it a bit longer....I have long arms as well 8) .

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've never shot .40 S&W, out of a pistol, carbine or anything. Is it that much hotter than 9mm? Cause I'd put my 995 somewhere between a 10/22 and an SKS. You can tell it's going off, but not much else.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I haven't shot a 4095 yet, but my 995 has a very light recoil. I can't imagine that a 4095 would kick much more than a 995. I had a S&W40VE pistol (actually, worst pistol I've ever owned to be honest, but that's another story) and it didn't kick much more than any of my 9mm pistols.

I'd put the kick at substantially less than a Mini-14 or Ar-15, and neither of those kick much at all.

·
Premium Member
2,300 Posts
I cut a bit of closed cell foam and added to the back of HP's accessory butt cover. I can shoot all day. You might try that. Funny, I thought the 4095 kicked less than the 995, even before the added foam.

·
Registered
27 Posts
you must maintain a positive cheek weld or its gonna pound you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts